<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM
(a)

Reviews: 13

Changing of the guard

The year 2013 is going to be the true begining of the changing of the guard.

Steve Vai may have had a huge impact on the development of the 7 String Guitar. Korn and the guys from Slipknot definately had an impact on the masses and progressed the use of 7 String guitars. Their success allowed more 7 string guitars to be accessable at a reasonable cost.

The new breed of players such as Tosin Abasi who are playing 8 and 9 string guitars are on another level all together. Guys like Tosin are using the 7 and 8th strings to full effect, not just palm muting the top string.

Now that 8 (and 9) string guitars have became a lot more accesable, no thanks to this years line up from Ibanez, one can only wonder were this level of music will end.

As these guitars become accessable to todays younger generation of players, who seem to want to learn the instrument to a level of proficiency not seen since the glory days of the 80s when guitars players wanted to be the best they could be on the instrument, we are going be able to sit back and listen to a real change in music.

Thanks Ibanez for developing the guitar and for the giving players the new kinds of tools needed to push past the envelope.

Now lets get out there and play!

Sorry for sounding like an add for Ibanez, I am just a bit excited about guitar today. It feels great.

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 01-26-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 AM

Re: Changing of the guard

Slipknot doesnt play 7's and abasi uses 8's tuned down.

But yes, i agree and nice post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 AM

Reviews: 1

The interesting thing will be whether the changes in the music industry and the rapid pace at which things move due to the ubiquity of the internet will allow the establishment of new "guitar heroes" like we had "back in the day".

I'd be interested to see which of Ibanez's endorsers sells a) the most guitars for them, and b) the most music.

The guys from Asking Alexandria (who I remember being ridiculed for their look just a couple of years ago) now have signature models, but how many of these guitars will sell compared to the flagship of Ibanez's lineup the JEM7VWH? Conversely how many records will Steve Vai sell these days compared to guys who get in the charts or are on major labels?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 AM

In my opinion, 7 strings are hear to stay, 8 and 9 string guitars are a fad.
I bet less than 10% of the guitar players out there will ever own one.
The sounds get so low that the average listener can't even understand what the heck is going on.
Guitar amps were not designed to play that low and sound good.
There is not really any hope for chords covering the lower strings and sounding good either.
I feel getting lower and lower is not doing much for the guitar.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Yeah below Ab starts to sound pretty damn mushy
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The sounds get so low that the average listener can't even understand what the heck is going on.
There is not really any hope for chords covering the lower strings and sounding good either.
I feel getting lower and lower is not doing much for the guitar.
having owned an 8 string i can say that they aren't that easy to play. I have large hands and zero problems with any 6 string but the 8 was just too sluggish feeling for me. Active pickups help with definition but most guitar amps can't handle the lows. The only way i found that i liked the 8 string was through a powered PA speaker or keyboard amp with sub using an effects unit like a line 6 pod or something simular.

7 strings are here to stay. They offer an effective balance of heavy and clarity. They aren't so low that they are mushy and the low b can be handled easily by most amps.

I clicked on this thread thinking that you had got a new pickguard.... changing of the (pick)guard... lol
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Slipknot doesnt play 7's
Oppps

-Wolfram
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
I clicked on this thread thinking that you had got a new pickguard.... changing of the (pick)guard... lol
Me too...

I don't know where are the guitar's world going, but I'm happy to have more options if I want to buy a 7 o 8 string guitars. And at least this year there are many models that aren't the boring black with rosewood fretboard metal guitar...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Thats the thing, the initial purchase of these guitars will be mostly bought by those buying in to the fad. Once these type of guitars are on-sold and in to the hands of the up and coming players, they will invent ways to play them and get new sounds out of them.

Of those less than 10% that do buy them, only the top 1% will ever make it as a 'guitar hero'.

Who knows it might be time to design / redesign an amp that can take the lows so that these guitars do sound good.

Some kid out there will find a use for those extra strings.

-Wolfram
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd be interested to see which of Ibanez's endorsers sells a) the most guitars for them, and b) the most music.

The guys from Asking Alexandria (who I remember being ridiculed for their look just a couple of years ago) now have signature models, but how many of these guitars will sell compared to the flagship of Ibanez's lineup the JEM7VWH? Conversely how many records will Steve Vai sell these days compared to guys who get in the charts or are on major labels?
A very interesting juxtaposition.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Most ERG players run a digital preamp into an FRFR PA of some sort. It sounds good for regular stuff too.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Lets not loose our heads here. tosin hasn't written any hits, or been in any famous bands like Vai.... I think its a way off before he takes over, if thats even ever gona happen... Vai revolutionised shredding, tosin is still shredding just on 2 more strings, which isn't all that new as others have been doing so also..
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Lets not loose our heads here. tosin hasn't written any hits, or been in any famous bands like Vai.... I think its a way off before he takes over, if thats even ever gona happen... Vai revolutionised shredding, tosin is still shredding just on 2 more strings, which isn't all that new as others have been doing so also..
*cough*Tony MacAlpine*cough cough*
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM

There will probably never be another Van Halen/Joe Satriani/Steve Vai situation. Pretty much everything that can be done (in terms of guitar heros) already has been, and the state of the music industry basically negates any sudden 'massive worldwide stars' unless you're a ****ty overhyped pop act.

Tosin is an interesting guitarist, but until he (or AAL) change their style to be interesting to the mainstream listener, he/they aren't going to experience that widespread acclaim/adoration.

I disagree that there is going to be any 'changing of the guard' simply by having more strings available. If anything, things will stay the same for a lot longer because of the 'tune it lower/**** yeah, more strings!' mentality. We need innovative, INTERESTING playing to really change things, and that just isn't really happening yet.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM

guys like satriani vai and van halen got 6 stings, mastered them, became famous with them and changed the way of guitar playing WITH a 6 string... thay took what was given and totaly changed it they didnt asked for somethink more or somethink better to play more or play better... i think thats what matters, play somethink new on somethink that people think that everythink was played!! Vai played with a 7 string after revolutioning the way guitar was played becouse he probably already played everythink HE could play on the 6 string

Tags
8 string, namm 2013

Show/Hide Posting Rules