Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cool Guitar with a CRAP Inlay. Advice for MTM1

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jem7vwh 
#1 ·
Hey all. I got a guy who NEEDS to get rid of an MTM1 for a GREAT price. A price that I dont know if I can pass up..

I like the features, it would make a COOL downtuning guitar. I like the double locking bridge for tuning stability!

Anyhow. I hate the inlay, and I really like to have dots on the fretboard.

Any suggestions?!? Is there any solutions for a guy to maybe put some thin Vinyl, or do SOMETHING to remedy that ugly seven and get some dots on there?!?

#2 ·
Well, you could get the fretboard replaced. But it would probably eat up the money you saved on your great price. Vinyl large enough to cover up that inlay would probably kill the feel of the neck. You could always buy it cheap then resell it higher and buy something you like from the start.

#9 ·
Theoretically, it is possible to remove the inlays and replace it with square pieces of rosewood, but you still will see the difference (or you have to stain it, very black :D). You'll probably need to redress the complete neck. It will be a very expensive operation if you don't do it yourself, otherwise you'll need some (semi-)professional equipment/skills. It might be easier to buy an RGT42 and replace the tremolo with a Fixed Edge and insert some AHB3s.

#10 ·
You could always have the inlay expanded into something else. I remember some guys who had the K7 inlay modified to look like an abstract almost tribal sort of thing. Tribal graphic art has become associated with meatheads and jerks, but you might be able to find something else to cover that inlay.

#11 ·
Of course, I should also warn you that any mods you make will probably not only be expensive at the time of installation, but will also damage the guitar's resale value.

What about buying the guitar, flipping it for a profit, and then buying a guitar you actually like without paying to have it modded?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.