Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

22K views 176 replies 21 participants last post by  maqify 
#1 ·
Hey guys
Ï was really unhappy with the edge pro trem on my Ibanez RG 1570 so I went to a guitarshop, and the guy in the shop told me that he would buy it for what corresponds to 600 usd. The edge pro wouldn't stay in tune at all. He then rented me a guitar I could try out.. It's the Ibanez RG 2570 which also comes with the edge pro. And once again, I've got excatly the same problem. The edge pro doesn't stays in tune. It goes sharp when I raise the trem and opposit.

I have a guitar with the ZR bar and another guitar with a Maverick Floyd Rose, and both trems can take lots of whammy abuse. I do know how to setup af locking bridge. So this got me thinking that the edge pro must be a really bad trem.. I know I'm not the only one having trouble with the edge pro. And yeah, I know that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani uses the edge pro which is madness.

Anyways.. I think I'll go buy a guitar with the Edge Zero II. I saw a stability test on the Edge Zero II on youtube, and that trem wouldn't go out of tune no matter how band the trem was treated.

Soo, is the cheaper RG models with the Edge Zero II from Indonesia worth the money?

#3 ·
Are the Edge Pros exceptionally hard to setup? I've adjusted the bridge on my other locking trem guitars a billion of times with no problems. Going from drop tuning to standart and changing string several times.. I have never experienced any problems with these guitars. I took the RG1570 to a guitar tech for about a month ago, and it didn't help. I have read several threads with guitarist' being unsatifsfied with the Edge Pro.. They have been though the same I'm going through. Spendning money adjustments to the Edge Pro and no change. I hate the Edge Pro.. I have never experienced such problems with a trem before.

#5 ·
Ey, don't get too ****y man. I took it to a tech because I was frustrated. This guy knew what he was doing I am pretty sure.. He has been in the buisness in a long time and he is a fan of Ibanez guitars as well. Yeah, the chapstick fix sounds cool, but it doesn't work always.. I saw a thread a guy who did the chapstick fix on his Edge Pro and he responded that it had no positive effect.. But lets be honest. Trems that come with japanese prestige guitars should do fine without modding. I really like Ibanez, but the Edge Pro's are really frustrating :-(

#6 ·
I've never had one Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Lo Pro, Edge II. ZR, ZRII, etc. that I couldn't setup or figure out what was going wrong and then get it working, even if it needed parts or repair.

Many, Many, Many Guitar Techs, don't know how to setup Ibanez floating trem systems.

#9 ·
Are you making sure that the knife edge inserts are what's parallel with the body? You can see them on the side of the baseplate.

Your springs might also be an issue. What guage strings are you using, and how many springs?

There could also be issues at the nut. Are the screws that hold the locking nut plate tight enough, or can the nut move around?

#15 ·
Ditto everything Rich is saying.
As far as the locking clamps for the nut.. finger tightened and then just a light nudge with the allen wrench and done.
The other culprit in tuning stability with a floating trem is usually improperly stretched/not stretched out enough strings.. and ditto the statement about many techs not knowing how to properly set up trems.

#17 ·
It followed every step on Ibanezrules' "string stretching guide", and the guitar still goes out of tune. It's very frustrating. Why would a tech not know how to setup an Edge Pro? Is it rocket science or something? I doubt that. I have followed Floyd Rose setup guides for my other floyd rose guitars on youtube, and they never go out of tune no matter how much abuse I put on it. And when I see that I'm not the only person that has problems with the Edge Pro, I start to think that maybe some Edge Pros are made of wool and other Edge Pros are made of real metal. I know that you can't make trems of wool, but seriously. A plastic trem has better stability. I've tried the Edge III several of times and they were all a million times better than the Edge Pros I've tried. I'm talking about a brand new Edge Pro this time. There's no way a brand new Edge Pro can be worn, so either Ibanez' japanese manufacturers are on crack or they are producing bad trems. :)

#20 ·
Gotoh trems are good too.. Japan made and much cheaper than edge pro...for your edge pro problem you might need to check the locking nuts whether its worn out and change them...floating bridge definite would go out of tune abit if you really abused it strongly...but after awhile the string will get used to it and wont go out of tune much...steve vai uses edge pro 20th anniversary jem playing live too... And he play some of his newer jems with edge pro bridge....

#21 ·
So, you tightened the nut itself too? I mean the screws that go through the nut and into the wood? All I can see is you saying that you don't use wrist with allenwrench ;) I have never had problems with edge pro and I've had many ibanezes with the unit. That said I haven't had any problems with edge, lo-pro edge, zero resistance, original floyd rose, frt1000, JT-6, schaller floyd rose or gotoh floyd rose either. The only ones I've had problems with are those pot metal cheapo pos floyds and the last time I got one of those was around '03 and believe me, I got rid of it very fast. I also have done my setups myself since I first picked up my first guitar. So still I'm betting either one of these: bad setup or defect unit.

#26 ·
I think you only want to say that edge zero 2 is as good as the japan made ibanez trem if not better right?just compare how many bad reviews between egde zero 2 indonesia made and japan made edge pro in internet, forums whatever....if majority have no problem with edge pro except you and some others, what can i say?ive tried ibanez indonesia made rg350 dont know what trem is called... Its ok.. It can flutter great all that but it doesnt have the solid feel compare to edge pro or lopro .. It stays in tune even after dive bombs and some pulls... The most important thing is the set up... Any trem can be good with proper set up unless, faulty trem

#29 ·
Even e new car could need some tlc,and could got messed up even tho it's new and would need some repair, same thing with a guitar. I agree a brand new expensive guitar would be set up good, but i guess usually they are just set up to a ok standard,or something happens when shipped, and could often need a personal(more exact)set up. With that being said-why just not lube studs,check nut,do a complete setup. Check knife edges-they might be faulty.
Once everything is checked and is ok, a proper setup will make the guitar stay in tune.
Or if not..just ship me the guitar-ill take it for free then...

#41 ·
Dude, we not pissed OR trying to give you a hard time. Were just trying to help you solve a problem. If your having identical problems with two EP's (your 1570 and your tech's 2570) then the problem is with you or your tech....not the trem. Were telling you this because it can be remedied fairly easily. The EP is a fantastically stable bridge when setup and maintained properly. It is possible to get a bad unit I guess, though I've never seen one (other than those pesky "sound chips"). but the likely hood of having two bad unit's in a row is near impossible.......if you do, start playing the lottery!!!!

Is the EZII worth the money??

Yes, in the premium line. Not so much in standard Indo lineup, but there is a trade-off. You have a better chance of neck alignment issues, fret finish issues, neck finish issues, and paint issues. You'll also be getting inferior pickups, electronics and tuners/hardware in the standard Indo line.

#43 ·
Even new out of the box trems are lubed and such during installation and setup.. and NO.. not every tech knows how to set up a floating tremelo.. if not every player.. then definitely not every tech either.. and to some it would appear to be common sense and to others.. it might as well be quantum physics..I've seen tons of poorly setup trems coming straight from otherwise skilled techs.. not everyone uses a floating trem and even less truly understand setting one up. Also.. if there's any play in the post.. which you'd only really be able to determine from removing the bridge and examing the post themselves and their bushings/insterts.. if there any play in there.. there goes your tuning as well... OR if there's a dinged up knife edge.. OR.. if the V notch on the stud/post where the knife edges pivot.. if those post have a defect in the notch where the edges pivot.. that too could cause you tuning issues... there are quite a few things that could be the culprit and without removing and examining every single little possible detail.. now way to just jump to a conclusion on what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.