Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better? - Page 2 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM

Re: Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
This has never worked for me. I always tighten the nut with an allen wrench...otherwise I get either tuning problems or annoying buzzing sounds.
I am using an allen wrench obviously. But I'm not using my wrist or arm to turn it around :-)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
Ditto everything Rich is saying.
As far as the locking clamps for the nut.. finger tightened and then just a light nudge with the allen wrench and done.
The other culprit in tuning stability with a floating trem is usually improperly stretched/not stretched out enough strings.. and ditto the statement about many techs not knowing how to properly set up trems.
It followed every step on Ibanezrules' "string stretching guide", and the guitar still goes out of tune. It's very frustrating. Why would a tech not know how to setup an Edge Pro? Is it rocket science or something? I doubt that. I have followed Floyd Rose setup guides for my other floyd rose guitars on youtube, and they never go out of tune no matter how much abuse I put on it. And when I see that I'm not the only person that has problems with the Edge Pro, I start to think that maybe some Edge Pros are made of wool and other Edge Pros are made of real metal. I know that you can't make trems of wool, but seriously. A plastic trem has better stability. I've tried the Edge III several of times and they were all a million times better than the Edge Pros I've tried. I'm talking about a brand new Edge Pro this time. There's no way a brand new Edge Pro can be worn, so either Ibanez' japanese manufacturers are on crack or they are producing bad trems. :-)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Maybe your edge pro has some defects or might be faulty one....

Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanggo View Post
Maybe your edge pro has some defects or might be faulty one....
I don't really know. But I'm staying away from the Edge Pro for now and ever. I have never been so disappointed before. My guitar stays in tune better when the locking nuts not are tightent. So the Gotoh tuners are good quality. The Edge Pro, not so sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM

Gotoh trems are good too.. Japan made and much cheaper than edge pro...for your edge pro problem you might need to check the locking nuts whether its worn out and change them...floating bridge definite would go out of tune abit if you really abused it strongly...but after awhile the string will get used to it and wont go out of tune much...steve vai uses edge pro 20th anniversary jem playing live too... And he play some of his newer jems with edge pro bridge....
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 AM

Reviews: 11

So, you tightened the nut itself too? I mean the screws that go through the nut and into the wood? All I can see is you saying that you don't use wrist with allenwrench I have never had problems with edge pro and I've had many ibanezes with the unit. That said I haven't had any problems with edge, lo-pro edge, zero resistance, original floyd rose, frt1000, JT-6, schaller floyd rose or gotoh floyd rose either. The only ones I've had problems with are those pot metal cheapo pos floyds and the last time I got one of those was around '03 and believe me, I got rid of it very fast. I also have done my setups myself since I first picked up my first guitar. So still I'm betting either one of these: bad setup or defect unit.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
This has never worked for me. I always tighten the nut with an allen wrench...otherwise I get either tuning problems or annoying buzzing sounds.
+1........they MUST be more than finger tight as others have pointed out.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
I don't really know. But I'm staying away from the Edge Pro for now and ever. I have never been so disappointed before. My guitar stays in tune better when the locking nuts not are tightent. So the Gotoh tuners are good quality. The Edge Pro, not so sure.
So you have lubed the studs and it's still not better?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 AM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So you have lubed the studs and it's still not better?
I doubt it. I'm sure he hasn't checked the nut hold downs either. we also dont have any pics of the actual setup,,,,,,,,,,but it's better to just write the bridge off as crap..........sigh.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I doubt it. I'm sure he hasn't checked the nut hold downs either. we also dont have any pics of the actual setup,,,,,,,,,,but it's better to just write the bridge off as crap..........sigh.
Wow, you guys are really getting pissed off because I talk bad about your perfect and stunning Edge Pros. Get a grip okay? I have checked everything. No I have not lubed it because it's new and in my opinion, these trems should work great straight out of the box. Also, I rented this guitar from the shop (as I said earlier) so I simply just can't do what I want to it. The other locking trem guitar I have works fine and I've never lubed it. I know how much it should tighten the locking nuts. I have played with locking trem for 4 years guys. Anyways thanks for your help, even though you never answered my question about the Edge Zero II, because you are too busy talking about how amazing the Edge Pro is.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 AM

I think you only want to say that edge zero 2 is as good as the japan made ibanez trem if not better right?just compare how many bad reviews between egde zero 2 indonesia made and japan made edge pro in internet, forums whatever....if majority have no problem with edge pro except you and some others, what can i say?ive tried ibanez indonesia made rg350 dont know what trem is called... Its ok.. It can flutter great all that but it doesnt have the solid feel compare to edge pro or lopro .. It stays in tune even after dive bombs and some pulls... The most important thing is the set up... Any trem can be good with proper set up unless, faulty trem
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
Wow, you guys are really getting pissed off because I talk bad about your perfect and stunning Edge Pros. Get a grip okay? I have checked everything. No I have not lubed it because it's new and in my opinion, these trems should work great straight out of the box. Also, I rented this guitar from the shop (as I said earlier) so I simply just can't do what I want to it. The other locking trem guitar I have works fine and I've never lubed it. I know how much it should tighten the locking nuts. I have played with locking trem for 4 years guys. Anyways thanks for your help, even though you never answered my question about the Edge Zero II, because you are too busy talking about how amazing the Edge Pro is.
So you had no intention of fixing it, you just wanted to complain about it?

So your answer would be no, since the EZ2 [and every trem] needs lube it's no more stable than the Edge Pro.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 120

So you wouldn't use a lubricant in your brand new car engine? Same logic. Lube the posts and you'll get better performance.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Even e new car could need some tlc,and could got messed up even tho it's new and would need some repair, same thing with a guitar. I agree a brand new expensive guitar would be set up good, but i guess usually they are just set up to a ok standard,or something happens when shipped, and could often need a personal(more exact)set up. With that being said-why just not lube studs,check nut,do a complete setup. Check knife edges-they might be faulty.
Once everything is checked and is ok, a proper setup will make the guitar stay in tune.
Or if not..just ship me the guitar-ill take it for free then...
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So you had no intention of fixing it, you just wanted to complain about it?

So your answer would be no, since the EZ2 [and every trem] needs lube it's no more stable than the Edge Pro.
I wouldn't mind fixing it. But again, its not my freaking guitar so I may not lube it because it should be in the same condition as when I got it. Otherwise I'll have to keep the guitar. God damn, why are you guys not reading what I'm saying, seriously wtf.

Tags
edge pro , edge zero , ibanez rg , tuning

Show/Hide Posting Rules