Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better? - Page 5 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Re: Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

That's beyond retarded low action.

Look at this picture and adjust your trem as needed:

The white circle shows you the knife edge that you can use as a guide when setting up the Edge Pro so that it's parallel to the body.

Look at yours:

See the difference?

Also, look at how much pressure you're putting on your low e string, as the saddle is raising up due to the increased pressure.

Jimmy
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
That's beyond retarded low action.

Look at this picture and adjust your trem as needed:

The white circle shows you the knife edge that you can use as a guide when setting up the Edge Pro so that it's parallel to the body.

Look at yours:

See the difference?

Also, look at how much pressure you're putting on your low e string, as the saddle is raising up due to the increased pressure.

Jimmy
Yeah I've noticed the saddle on the E string as well.. It looks really bad. Thanks for the pictures. Lets see if it helps to adjust the action :-)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
(a)
Vendor

The saddle is raised up because it's slipped all the way forward and is no longer under the fine tuner.

And for the last time, all it needs to start with is lube.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

LOL.... I know this thumb!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The saddle is raised up because it's slipped all the way forward and is no longer under the fine tuner.

And for the last time, all it needs to start with is lube.
I see. When I raise the trem I can see underneath it that the saddle isn't connected with the fine tuner. I've tried taking pictures of it, but it's really hard to get a good picture of it since the trem is silver and the flash on my camera is sparkling like crazy. And without the flash it's impossible to see.

Okay this is a little hard to explain without a picture.
But I have also noticed that the fine tuner on the "d string position" isn't resting on the saddle.. It is connected though, but it isn't resting on the saddle. So I can still fine tune because the fine tuner is barely touching the saddle, but it is not resting on the it. I'm not sure if you know what I mean. But could this have any effect on how it's staying in tune?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
But could this have any effect on how it's staying in tune?
I've tried to tell you many times what your problem is and you keep ignoring it. But you definitely need to set the intonation and get the saddles back into correct position.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Follow Rich's advice and set that trem up the proper way. Remember, it's all a balancing act. You might have to loosen/tighten the springs once the trem is raised to the height you want aside from the tips Rich has already given you.

Jimmy
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I've tried to tell you many times what your problem is and you keep ignoring it. But you definitely need to set the intonation and get the saddles back into correct position.
Maybe I missed something. The studs are lubed now. I got the saddle back on place with the finetuner. Intonation is okay. Bridge is parallel with body, everything is tight. Strings are new, and streched out. I don't really know what I am ignoring. This bridge should stay in tune now, but it doesn't. So I'm thinking about selling the guitar for a cheap price. I rage quit :/ But thanks for the help Rich.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Follow Rich's advice and set that trem up the proper way. Remember, it's all a balancing act. You might have to loosen/tighten the springs once the trem is raised to the height you want aside from the tips Rich has already given you.

Jimmy
I don't really think it's gonna work. I have tried loosening the springs, but it didn't help either.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
(a)
Vendor

Sorry, I don't remember reading at any point in this thread that you lubed the studs, and what exactly you used.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
(a)

Reviews: 2

In the pic above, the treble side stud appears to be leaning slightly forward. Have you pulled the trem out and inspected the anchors? If you do pull it out, can you take a pic (in focus) of the studs and inserts??

As Rich asked, what did you lube the studs with?? It does make a difference.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

In the pic above, the treble side stud appears to be leaning slightly forward. Have you pulled the trem out and inspected the anchors? If you do pull it out, can you take a pic (in focus) of the studs and inserts??

As Rich asked, what did you lube the studs with?? It does make a difference.
I don't know what was used. I didn't do it myself.
But I don't really feel comfortable removing the trem. Especially not if I want to sell the guitar. I haven't inspected the anchors. And I don't want to bother with it either. It's frustrating enough that such a great trem can't stay in tune If I'm lucky I can get a little bit of cash for the guitar. A guitar with such a big issue is not worth keeping unless you are a guitar tech guy. But I appreciate that you guys wanna help, but this must have come to an end. I don't think that I will ever get this guitar to stay in tune.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't remember reading at any point in this thread that you lubed the studs, and what exactly you used.
Don't be sorry.. I decided to get it lubed recently sooo.. I don't know what was used. I just asked a guy to do it for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Reviews: 120

So there's a potential problem, and you want to sell it. I hope you are not going to try and get top price for it if there could be a problem. Inspect it first, there's nothing to be scared about removing the springs and lifting the bridge out of the cavity. I still bet there's nothing wrong, and that the person who's doing the work for you doesn't really know what they are doing with the bridge. It's a common issue.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Wow, just read the entire thread.

Since this particular Edge Pro equipped guitar is such a turd sell it to me for 50 bucks. After I pay the big brown truck guys to deliver it to I'll spend a few bucks on some chapstick or vasoline, maybe even splurge for the set screws from Rich to do the locking stud mod and have a playable mij prestige guitar for stupid cheap.

Sounds good to me. 50 dollar offer to take it off your hands is a standing offer if you decide you just can't look at it any longer .

Sorry for the scarcasm. I just can't believe that this things completely toast. At least part it out as the rest of the guitar is worth something even if the trem truthfully is a dud. I'd bet money the body woods wallowed a touch and the anchor is the culprit. Again as others have stated without having it in hand on the bench its all speculation. Dude, it would be stupid easy to de tune the strings, temporarily remove the claw springs in the back, remove the trem and then check the posts and anchors for any play. Your making this way too complicated. If it does in fact have some play the next guy needs to be aware of it. Please be up front and disclose that it has some tuning stability issues.

YMMV as usual.

Last edited by jeremywills; 11-04-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Tags
edge pro , edge zero , ibanez rg , tuning

Show/Hide Posting Rules