Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better? - Page 7 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 AM

Re: Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I think the advise in this thread needs to stop, it's frustrating everyone.

Not everyone has it in them to work on a race car, instead they buy a Strat or Les Paul to (KISS).

I hear the same thing about rack gear on threads.

People like to think something is bad because they don't want put any effort in to learning.

Some guys just like three knobs on a pedal.
I have already lost lots of money on this guitar. 620 bucks is probably the best price I can get from a guitar in this condition. Of course I want to learn how to do it all myself. But this is too much. I saw another thread with a guy who had exactly the same problem, and he never found a solution. So he sold it. Sounds like a good idea to me. I can get a never version of this guitar with the Edge Zero with ZPS which is fine to me. Also.. If i remove all the strings, the tension in the neck will be different. I have heard that you should never remove all the strings from the neck e.g. when you change strings because your neck will take damage from doing it.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM

i have remove all strings from the neck of my ibanez guitar to polish/clean the fretboard few times....no problem..only when putting back the strings and setting it up again is a bit of hassle and tedious job just need some patience...i dont think it would damage the neck....but adjusting the truss rod too tight could damage the neck..the best way to change strings is changing strings one at the time so that the floating trem wont go off much....
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 AM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
I have already lost lots of money on this guitar. 620 bucks is probably the best price I can get from a guitar in this condition. Of course I want to learn how to do it all myself. But this is too much. I saw another thread with a guy who had exactly the same problem, and he never found a solution. So he sold it. Sounds like a good idea to me. I can get a never version of this guitar with the Edge Zero with ZPS which is fine to me. Also.. If i remove all the strings, the tension in the neck will be different. I have heard that you should never remove all the strings from the neck e.g. when you change strings because your neck will take damage from doing it.
Whoever told you this was lying......... don't ever listen to their advice again.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:54 AM

I just had the strings off of my S1520 for about two weeks while I waited for parts and did a restoration (took the entire guitar apart). I then slapped on a brand new Edge Pro (Thanks Rich!) in place of the lo-pro which had some cosmetic issues. Now I've never worked on an Edge Pro before. Put everything back in with a brass claw/screws, loaded her up with new EB Cobalt "10's" and spent about 20 minutes setting her up tops. It was the easiest setup I've yet had on a guitar. I'm self taught and not an expert by any means. This plays as well as my S5470 with a professional setup. The Edge Pro is very easy to set up and I can say there's definitely no damage to the guitar's neck.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM

I was also told you should never remove all the strings at once, but then when I asked my luthier he said no, that's not true.

Maybe it's true for acoustic guitars and people naturally assumed it's true for electrics, too?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Yeah okay. I know it's pretty stupid. I'm just really frustrated and I have already lost lots of money on this guitar
I would never say you were stupid, just very much ill informed, this thread not helping that much, and, dependent on a tech that should evidently be in another profession.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would never say you were stupid, just very much ill informed, this thread not helping that much, and, dependent on a tech that should evidently be in another profession.
I get what your saying, but I don't see any bad advice. It's all been "check this or that" and "load more pics of this and that"................

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
(a)
Vendor

Replace the trem with a new trem, evidently without even inspecting the original. [the worst advice of course]
The springs are binding on themselves.
The bridge is too low in the rout.

Some of the "check this" was OK advice, but not in this case. If I have to beat a dead horse.

The problem is, dive all you want, it returns in tune, pullup, it returns sharp, until you dive again, back in tune. I believe we already established this at the start of the thread.

In which case, this is the common "no lube", or combination knives a little too fat, and stud mod cure I've fixed 500 times. Everything else reacts differently. If the trem is binding it's never going to return in tune perfect, pullup or dive, if the anchors are lose then return is erratic and unpredictable. If the nut is lose the symptoms are reversed, etc.

Now the horse is thoroughly beaten.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
(a)
Vendor

I shoudl stipulate that if the bridge is so low that the pullup hits the shelf and pushed further the knives ride up the studs, sometimes it won't come back true, but you can feel it when you do it of course.

And very rarely if the block lock is not on a spring can slip out of the hole a little on pullup and affect return, mostly much older models as the springs have been back'bent for many years to prevent this.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM
(a)

I guess I forgot some of the posts...LOL

Quote:
Replace the trem with a new trem, evidently without even inspecting the original. [the worst advice of course]
Totally agree!!! this was ridiculous....

Quote:
The springs are binding on themselves.
I agreed on this too....it's just not possible

Quote:
You explain this below......

Quote:
Some of the "check this" was OK advice, but not in this case. If I have to beat a dead horse.

The problem is, dive all you want, it returns in tune, pullup, it returns sharp, until you dive again, back in tune. I believe we already established this at the start of the thread.
I have to re-read the thread, I'm under the impression that return is erratic with dive or pull........

Quote:
In which case, this is the common "no lube", or combination knives a little too fat, and stud mod cure I've fixed 500 times. Everything else reacts differently. If the trem is binding it's never going to return in tune perfect, pullup or dive, if the anchors are lose then return is erratic and unpredictable. If the nut is lose the symptoms are reversed, etc.

Now the horse is thoroughly beaten.
This I've been echoing since you first said it........should have been the first thing done.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
He The edge pro doesn't stays in tune. It goes sharp when I raise the trem and opposit.
Quote:
If it goes sharp when you raise pitch [you said raise trem] then it's lube, locking studs, possible knife edge thinning. If it returns sharp when you dive then it's a loose locking nut.

Without reading every posts I thought this was settled as the issue.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM
(a)

Quote:
Actually I think this could be the case. The Edge Pro doesn't go out of the "standart tuning" but it still it goes a 1/4 step up/down in pitch when it returns from a dive bomb. Could this be fixed by adding a spring?
This is the one that had me thinking that return was erratic.........

I don't think it's the only thing erratic in this thread..........ehem, OP.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM
(a)
Vendor

I read that as sharp pullup return. OP will have to clarify.

Dive.
Fine tune after the dive. Dive
Dive
Dive
It should always return in tune.
Pullup, without pushing past neutral back down.
Returns sharp?
Dive again
Is it back in tune?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM
(a)

Since this thread is all over the place anyway......

How you doin' after "Sandy"?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM
(a)
Vendor

I thought we were really in for it, the eye was dead on us. That eye wall is supposed to be the worst spot right? Evidently not. I've been through way worse Noreasters, and then the eye was huge and barely anything. There was a stiff 50+ steady blow for 5 minutes on the back side, power glitched 5 times and I can't believe it didn't go out, but all in all, it was a "breeze"! It was huge but it wasn't as powerful as I expected.

Not that it didn't destroy it's share North of us, and of course the shore got hammered for 500 miles. IMO if you live within walking distance on the ocean it's not a question of "if" you're going to get wiped out, only "when".

Tags
edge pro , edge zero , ibanez rg , tuning

Show/Hide Posting Rules