Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better? - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Unhappy

Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

Hey guys
was really unhappy with the edge pro trem on my Ibanez RG 1570 so I went to a guitarshop, and the guy in the shop told me that he would buy it for what corresponds to 600 usd. The edge pro wouldn't stay in tune at all. He then rented me a guitar I could try out.. It's the Ibanez RG 2570 which also comes with the edge pro. And once again, I've got excatly the same problem. The edge pro doesn't stays in tune. It goes sharp when I raise the trem and opposit.

I have a guitar with the ZR bar and another guitar with a Maverick Floyd Rose, and both trems can take lots of whammy abuse. I do know how to setup af locking bridge. So this got me thinking that the edge pro must be a really bad trem.. I know I'm not the only one having trouble with the edge pro. And yeah, I know that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani uses the edge pro which is madness.

Anyways.. I think I'll go buy a guitar with the Edge Zero II. I saw a stability test on the Edge Zero II on youtube, and that trem wouldn't go out of tune no matter how band the trem was treated.

Soo, is the cheaper RG models with the Edge Zero II from Indonesia worth the money?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Re: Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

Your problem is a matter of setup.
I have three guitars with the Edge Pro, no problems at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM

Are the Edge Pros exceptionally hard to setup? I've adjusted the bridge on my other locking trem guitars a billion of times with no problems. Going from drop tuning to standart and changing string several times.. I have never experienced any problems with these guitars. I took the RG1570 to a guitar tech for about a month ago, and it didn't help. I have read several threads with guitarist' being unsatifsfied with the Edge Pro.. They have been though the same I'm going through. Spendning money adjustments to the Edge Pro and no change. I hate the Edge Pro.. I have never experienced such problems with a trem before.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
(a)
Vendor

If you took it to a tech then not only do you not understand setup, but neither does he.

1. lube the knife edges with chapstick.
If that doesn't take care of the problem then a locking stud mod, and possibly thinning the knives will.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Ey, don't get too ****y man. I took it to a tech because I was frustrated. This guy knew what he was doing I am pretty sure.. He has been in the buisness in a long time and he is a fan of Ibanez guitars as well. Yeah, the chapstick fix sounds cool, but it doesn't work always.. I saw a thread a guy who did the chapstick fix on his Edge Pro and he responded that it had no positive effect.. But lets be honest. Trems that come with japanese prestige guitars should do fine without modding. I really like Ibanez, but the Edge Pro's are really frustrating :-(
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM

I've never had one Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Lo Pro, Edge II. ZR, ZRII, etc. that I couldn't setup or figure out what was going wrong and then get it working, even if it needed parts or repair.

Many, Many, Many Guitar Techs, don't know how to setup Ibanez floating trem systems.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
(a)
Vendor

I stand by my statement.

The only difference in the EP and any other Edge is no locking studs.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Hmm. Well.. Maybe it's just me, but I don't know what to do with the Edge Pro .. If it requires more than the trem has to be paralel to the body it's getting too advanced for my knowledge :-/
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

Are you making sure that the knife edge inserts are what's parallel with the body? You can see them on the side of the baseplate.

Your springs might also be an issue. What guage strings are you using, and how many springs?

There could also be issues at the nut. Are the screws that hold the locking nut plate tight enough, or can the nut move around?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

I use 0.9 gauge and 3 springs. And yes, the knife edge is paralel to the body. I don't confuse lo profile bridges with "non lo profile". And yes the locking nuts are tight, not overtighten but as tight my fingers can turn them without using the wrist :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
(a)
Vendor

If it goes sharp when you raise pitch [you said raise trem] then it's lube, locking studs, possible knife edge thinning. If it returns sharp when you dive then it's a loose locking nut.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I've never had one Ibanez Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Lo Pro, Edge II. ZR, ZRII, etc. that I couldn't setup or figure out what was going wrong and then get it working, even if it needed parts or repair.

Many, Many, Many Guitar Techs, don't know how to setup Ibanez floating trem systems.
This is very true. Very few people really know the art of setting up Ibanez tremolos.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post

This, I have 20 Ibanez's guitars, with all systems, I prefer the Edge pro!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
And yes the locking nuts are tight, not overtighten but as tight my fingers can turn them without using the wrist :-)
This has never worked for me. I always tighten the nut with an allen wrench...otherwise I get either tuning problems or annoying buzzing sounds.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Ditto everything Rich is saying.
As far as the locking clamps for the nut.. finger tightened and then just a light nudge with the allen wrench and done.
The other culprit in tuning stability with a floating trem is usually improperly stretched/not stretched out enough strings.. and ditto the statement about many techs not knowing how to properly set up trems.

Tags
edge pro , edge zero , ibanez rg , tuning

Show/Hide Posting Rules