<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM

Question

Help getting new guitar !!

Guys I'm thinking of buying an Ibanez s420 and to go with it a roland cube 40xl. Well, I would be replacing the stock pups with Seymour duncan distortion sh-6 in the bridge as I play mostly heavy metal and duncan jazz sh-2 in the neck for neat clean solos as I also play blues, really love Clapton. I really like the Ibanez ZR trem and think it's better than LFR, that's why I have chosen it over Ltd mh 50. Please help me out, is it a good choice along with the amp. If not, please suggest better guitars or amps. I dont see myself doing gigs in the near future, so will be using the amp at home for atleast a year. Budget - under or slightly above 500 $ on the guitar and 300 $ on the amp. I am also thinking of getting the Boss mt-2 for distortion.And I prefer floating trems over fixed bridges. Is this a good idea.?
I play heavy metal, thrash, thrash death, grindcore, nu metal etc. favourite band - Iron maiden, judas priest, megadeth, slayer, death
Thanks in advance.!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 AM

Re: Help getting new guitar !!

i don't own a cube but listened to the demo on youtube, i think it's a decent amp for practicing or room-playing.
I have a Vox valvetronix 20 watts amp that loud as hell, and happy to use it for room playing.
believe it or not.. this tiny vox is a replacement of my mighty marshall JVM 410.

as for guitar, it's really yours to choice man, If S420 feels right, so it will do.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjansahu View Post
Guys I'm thinking of buying an Ibanez s420 and to go with it a roland cube 40xl. Well, I would be replacing the stock pups with Seymour duncan distortion sh-6 in the bridge as I play mostly heavy metal and duncan jazz sh-2 in the neck for neat clean solos as I also play blues, really love Clapton. I really like the Ibanez ZR trem and think it's better than LFR, that's why I have chosen it over Ltd mh 50. Please help me out, is it a good choice along with the amp. If not, please suggest better guitars or amps. I dont see myself doing gigs in the near future, so will be using the amp at home for atleast a year. Budget - under or slightly above 500 $ on the guitar and 300 $ on the amp. I am also thinking of getting the Boss mt-2 for distortion.And I prefer floating trems over fixed bridges. Is this a good idea.?
I play heavy metal, thrash, thrash death, grindcore, nu metal etc. favourite band - Iron maiden, judas priest, megadeth, slayer, death
Thanks in advance.!
I recommend AGAINST the Metal Zone (Boss MT-2). I have it, it has a REALLY weak tone and doesnt sound good unless you mod it. I have a line 6 M13 (its the most expensive stomp box Line 6 makes) but if you want something a little cheaper, go with the m5 or the m9 (personally, for your moneys worth, I recommend the M9). You will have so many effects you can mess with AND you can still plug other effects into it. The only knock on the Line 6 stuff is that they can sound digital and if you prefer a raw sound, I think other analog distortions would be better suited for you.

As a booster to a distortion, or for your blues leads, Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer is a MUST. This thing is probably the one effects pedal EVERY artist has. I have the TS9DX (has extra modes for more crunch than the standard TS9).

As for the guitar, have you sat down and compared the S series to the RG series? I mean if S is your thing, most of the standard indo made stuff is good value and I recommend getting last year's models because they have the zero point system in them. It'll make your life so much easier
Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Psychoshredder, I checked the vox valvetronics 20W, its really good. I always wanted a tube amp, and valvetronics is one, am probably going for that, but am not sure about the output. I have heard that tube amps are much louder than thire ss counterparts. I want something sturdy, something that will last even after heavy abuse. So, what do you recommend - 20W, 30W, or 40W so that I could do small clubs too.?? Thanks in advance man.

MartiasTollki, mate I've heard from many that individual pedals are better than multieffect pedals for effects like distortion, tremolo, reverb etc. What's you opinion on that??. And yes, I'm definitely getting the Ibanez tube screamer. Thanks man.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM

And what about the peavey vypyr 30..?
Is it any good compared to the other two.?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Psychoshredder, I checked the vox valvetronics 20W, its really good. I always wanted a tube amp, and valvetronics is one, am probably going for that, but am not sure about the output. I have heard that tube amps are much louder than thire ss counterparts. I want something sturdy, something that will last even after heavy abuse. So, what do you recommend - 20W, 30W, or 40W so that I could do small clubs too.?? Thanks in advance man.

MartiasTollki, mate I've heard from many that individual pedals are better than multieffect pedals for effects like distortion, tremolo, reverb etc. What's you opinion on that??. And yes, I'm definitely getting the Ibanez tube screamer. Thanks man.
I've heard the same thing, but my line 6 does good by me I used the heavy distortion setting (based on metal zone) and after I changed it to classic Distortion, I never went back. However, I DO want to use my Tube screamer as a booster for it, to give that digital sound a little meat The best thing about the line 6 (and most multi-effects pedals) is that stuff like chorus, Delay, echo type stuff, theres almost noting better. That's why i think if you want to go cheap with a multi, get M5 or M9 for your digital stuff like delays, and get analog pedals for your distortion.

Personally, if you want lots of effects in one box for cheaper than buying all the pedals separately, Line 6 is great. I have no problems with the digital sound, only because the songs I play right now (stratovarius mostly) have keyboards in them so the guitars dont always stand out and a digital sound doesnt really effect the overall sound of the songs.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 AM

okay, thanks a lot mate, I'll keep that in mind. I think i'll be getting a multi efffects pedal preferably the line 6 m5 and also a good distortion pedal so that i get a warm but brutal 'metal' sound with insane gains and also a jim dunlop classic crybaby. Thanks a lot mate. really helped me a lot.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM

one thing I like about valvetronix, it has the pedal booster simulation to go through amp simulation. so you don't need to put any pedal in front of your amp, because your amp already has it.
the tube is 12AX7 only for the power amp section.
I have it for almost a year now, no problem whatsoever.
I always use it at max watt, oh btw, it also has the watt dial up, so you can adjust the output.
If a 20 watts already scream, I could only imagine what bigger watts can do.

now the downside is : I only found 1 distortion tone that suits me well, others are not useable.

Well..it's maybe just me, maybe you'll get desire tone out there easily.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM

I have the Roland cube30 and its great.you can practice alone or even in a band setting (gets real loud) n's the distortions are really good IMO.I'd say snatch up a cube and a rg of your choice and rip it up
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombatty View Post
I have the Roland cube30 and its great.you can practice alone or even in a band setting (gets real loud) n's the distortions are really good IMO.I'd say snatch up a cube and a rg of your choice and rip it up
mate, before considering the s420, I was actually thinking of getting the rg350, but the ONLY thing stopping me was the Edge III trem. I have heard really bad things about the trem and how easily it goes out of tune from so many Edge III users. That's why, I thought it would be better to get a guitar with a good trem and thus The S420 with the ZR trem. Other than that, I really would have bought the Rg350.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
one thing I like about valvetronix, it has the pedal booster simulation to go through amp simulation. so you don't need to put any pedal in front of your amp, because your amp already has it.
the tube is 12AX7 only for the power amp section.
I have it for almost a year now, no problem whatsoever.
I always use it at max watt, oh btw, it also has the watt dial up, so you can adjust the output.
If a 20 watts already scream, I could only imagine what bigger watts can do.

now the downside is : I only found 1 distortion tone that suits me well, others are not useable.

Well..it's maybe just me, maybe you'll get desire tone out there easily.
Wow, pedal booster simulation. Seems one heck of an amp and perfect for the sound I play. You said only 1 dist pedal worked out for you..which one..? And, one thing about the cube that attracts me is the 80 seconds looper feature which is good for overdubbing and practising solos. Now, if I wanted to do that on the valve, how would I do it because I think I really need it. Other than that, I think I would be getting the valve for its sheer power and also the fact that its a tube amp.

Thanks in advance !
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
mate, before considering the s420, I was actually thinking of getting the rg350, but the ONLY thing stopping me was the Edge III trem. I have heard really bad things about the trem and how easily it goes out of tune from so many Edge III users. That's why, I thought it would be better to get a guitar with a good trem and thus The S420 with the ZR trem. Other than that, I really would have bought the Rg350.

Hi there in India. You could always check out a older(00-02) MIJ RG 470,550,570 etc quite cheap, you would then get a Original edge or Lo-pro tremolo.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
You said only 1 dist pedal worked out for you..which one..?
Thanks in advance !
I only found that the simulation of TS9 going to JCM 800 is the best for me.
Yeah.. I'm old school 80 fanboy, that chuga chuga modern dist tone would not suit me well.

you'll find a lot of modern dist simulations in here : from old school marshall, peavey 5150, mesa, soldano and so on.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I think I have made up my mind. I'm gonna go with the Ibanez s420 because the old Rg's with the edge zero are unavailable her, pity...with Vox valvetronix 30vt. No pedals just yet. You guys helped a lot. Thanks again, appreciate it.!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 2

Ok. Let me ask you what kind of guitars does the pro musicians in India play?or near where you live? any ide?

Tags
s420

Show/Hide Posting Rules