<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM

How do you smooth out the back of the neck?

The neck on my RT (Viper neck) is not as smooth on the back as it is on the sides. I'm sure this is from years and years of my sliding my thumb up and down it.

I heard that you can rub a paper bag up and down the back of it and this will make it smooth again, however I'm not sure if this is legit or if it safe for the finish or whatever.

How do you guys handle this problem?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM
(a)

Re: How do you smooth out the back of the neck?

Are you sure that there's actually any finish left on the neck? Or that it was even finished in the first place? Older Jem necks are just oil finished. The necks are usually quite rough and dirty on them.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 AM

I don't know if it's finished or what. I don't know anything about any of that stuff. I just know it used to be smooth, and the edges are still smooth, but the back of it is a bit rough, now. And I would like it to be smooth again.

Looks like this:

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM

I'm not sure I understand how this can happen.

I recently described the opposite effect I was experiencing with one of mine, where the back of the neck became polished over time.

How can rubbing your thumb on finished wood make it rough?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
(a)

Very lightly sand the neck with 320 grit paper. Once any finish is gone, wipe it with ammonia to raise the grain. Hit it again with the 320 while wet and let it dry. Wipe it again with the ammonia then go over it wet with 600. Repeat the process with 800. Give it a quick dry sand with the 800 and then wipe it with naptha to clean it. When that dries, rub out the neck with tung oil and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wipe up any excess oil with a rag and let the neck dry for 24 his. Rub out the neck with 0000 steel wool, wipe it really fast with naptha to clean up any dust and then apply a second coat of oil. Repeat process above but stop after the steel wool. That should be extremely smooth. It's how I finish all my Jem necks.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
I'm not sure I understand how this can happen.

I recently described the opposite effect I was experiencing with one of mine, where the back of the neck became polished over time.

How can rubbing your thumb on finished wood make it rough?
No idea.

Unless somehow sitting in the plush Ibanez case for years caused some wear? The only thing that has touched it is my left hand and the case.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM

take some 0000 grade steel wool to it. I did it on all my non painted( and one of my painted) necks. its more gradual than sand paper so you have a tad more control. if that doesn't do it for you, tape off the headstock and sand it. if you want to really go all out, sand it then rub it with gun stock oil, let it dry then buff with steel wool. works for me.

Show/Hide Posting Rules