<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 AM

How often do you replace your nut?

All right lads!

I had a bit of neck movement on my Ibanez RG 470 which over a period of years wore down the nut at the B string.

Whilst having a luthier install a new Gotoh trem to replace the garbage Lo-TRS trem, I bought a new nut as well.

When I got it back from the luthier I played it once or twice and then put it away and left it as the main guitar I play is a Les Paul.

I've since started playing the Ibanez again the B string feels to have a lower action than it should (no where near as bad as before) and I'm worried that I've worn the nut down again by moving the neck when I got it back but I can't be sure because I'm predominantly a Les Paul player.

I've compared my Maverick F1 which has just had a new JS42 nut on it and the B string sits slightly higher than the Ibanez but still lower than I expect so I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid?

Can any experienced Ibanez players out there tell me if they think that the the action on the B string generally feels lower in comparison to other guitars?
Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 AM
(a)

Reviews: 13

Re: How often do you replace your nut?

I don't do my nut that often these days as I am tending to get a bit older and don't need to as much...... sorry I couldn't resist...

In all seriousness, it would primarily depend on how you had the guitar action set up and there is a fair amount of variation right there. You should also do a search regarding the nut shim - check out Rich's site, as this is a pretty common mod.

-Wolfram
Old 05-13-2012, 04:53 AM

Yeah I've got enough brass shims to raise the nut if I want but my main concern is the issue with how the B string sits in comparison to the G & E strings.

I may have to fork out for another nut but there's no point if RG nuts sit like this anyway?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 AM

Reviews: 1

i've played Ibanez since 1992 and I've still got my original nuts. (sorry couldn't resist either )

In truth I've never needed to replace a nut on any of my guitars. I think a lot of it will have to do with the radius of the nut vs the rest of the guitars set up, so I doubt it's an issue of wear and tear.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Whenever you bust a nut I suppose (sorry I... you know what goes in these parentheses).
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Honestly, My wife took my nuts years ago.........I have no idea if they need replacing, I'll ask her.

In reality. The string gauge your using determine everything here. You don't replace the nut unless there is actual damage to it.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Good luck 'wearing down' one of those locking nuts. My main guitar is a 1990 RG550 with the original nut and it's still just fine.

And I used to really abuse the vibrato on my guitars, to the point that I've broken one of the OE trems many years ago, so if I was going to wear down a nut...

What do you mean by 'neck movement'?

The RG470 has an Wizard II neck with a 400mm radius, and if I'm not mistaken' the standard Ibanez Top Lock has a 430mm radius (the larger the radius, the flatter the neck) and this may be what you're feeling.

The radius of the nut doesn't match the fretboard and it could just be it seems more pronounced on the B string, depending on how the nut is shimmed.

If it's not buzzing when you play it open, I wouldn't worry about it much.

You could also check at the bridge side and see if it's uneven at that end, since you can shim the individual saddles on the bridge you can easily compensate for the mis-matched radius a bit. It won't be perfect, but it can help.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM

I've only had to replace an Ibanez locking nut once. It just happened to be on a Korean RG470. It had some minor grooves worn into it but filing wasn't enough to keep it from binding the strings. I replaced it with a Japanese nut and it's been fine so far. I agree that you more than likely need to look at the saddles instead of the nut for one string being off.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
(a)

I had a problem with my g string pinching at my nut. I filed my nut down till the g string sat normally.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I had a problem with my g string pinching at my nut. I filed my nut down till the g string sat normally.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
This is exactly why a man shouldn't wear a G-String
Old 05-13-2012, 03:22 PM
(a)

Make sure to check if the saddles are in the right positions....

You do NOT want to get a nut pinched between the saddle!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
Make sure to check if the saddles are in the right positions....

You do NOT want to get a nut pinched between the saddle!
Your riding it wrong if your nut is that close to the saddle.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM

you guys are a bunch of kids
Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
you guys are a bunch of kids
Hey man no joking around unless you're serious

Tags
nut, rg470