I did chicken out... - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Cool I did chicken out...

...on bidding on the 1989 S540 in DY on the bay this morning. This is one of my absolute bucket list guitars, year, color, all.

My initial bid was not topped till about 4min before close. I then lined up an insane last bid to rule them all, hesitated, and in full awareness watched the countdown go to 0.

Bummer. There are others out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Re: I did chicken out...

You probably made the right decision.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
...on bidding on the 1989 S540 in DY on the bay this morning. This is one of my absolute bucket list guitars, year, color, all.

My initial bid was not topped till about 4min before close. I then lined up an insane last bid to rule them all, hesitated, and in full awareness watched the countdown go to 0.

Bummer. There are others out there.
That sucks! I was watching that, too but snagged the purple neon that was running at the same time. Can't believe I was the highest bidder with an amount quite below the BIN price. While not a bucket list guitar, I'm anxious to add an S series to the purple collection.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM

Wow, those fetch some bucks. I prefer the H-S-S 540S, which is good for me because they go for less. I just picked up a pretty damn nice one from someone on the forum. DY on it is amazing.
Takin' a Ride is online  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

There was a basically NOS one with UV1000 case on the bay a while back that fetched 1200 bucks for some reason (believe it was a 1991?). Other DYs do usually go for a little more than the highly frequent blue ones.

I looked into getting the one that you have snatched Takin' a Ride, but I think I'd have regretted the purchase...part of the S540 appeal is the perfect location of the 5 way for me, the individual toggles on the very early ones are a little weird .

Last edited by cm_17; 04-24-2012 at 09:23 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM

I had put the initial bid in and also watched at the end. I thought it got too pricey. Edge finish looked worn and the body wasn't perfect. I would be curious to hear from the winner.

I am a sucker for DY's and don't have a MIJ S.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
There was a basically NOS one with UV1000 case on the bay a while back that fetched 1200 bucks for some reason (believe it was a 1991?). Other DYs do usually go for a little more than the highly frequent blue ones.

I looked into getting the one that you have snatched Takin' a Ride, but I think I'd have regretted the purchase...part of the S540 appeal is the perfect location of the 5 way for me, the individual toggles on the very early ones are a little weird .
I'm actually a huge sucker for the early ones with the small dot necks and the quirky details.
Takin' a Ride is online  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM

This guitar is on my bucket list too actually haha...but it did go over what I think it was worth...too bad It's rare enough to see them for sale and this one was in the best condition I've seen so far.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Aahhh...I see. Now I get to know my competition .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Reviews: 9

I looked at both the Purple and the Yellow. I ended up with a near mint blue flamed maple locally for $340 with a non-ibanez case. Very nice playing guitar. Built much better and heaveier than the newer indo stuff for half the price. Just can not beat that. I really like the purple neon. Have fun Alaskabat!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. I already have an S540, a 1994 with maple fretboard in Cayman Green. satchmo72 here sold me his matching original case for it, now it is perfect. Likely the most alive and snappy guitar I own.

My other bucket list S would be a 1996 S540 in transparent black quilt, but they are rare as hell compared to the DY.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 AM

Ah, last week, I was bidding on a PL1770 that was going for a nice price, and just when I went to submit my bid, the internet bucked! By the time things were working again, it was all over *weeps*.

There's a yellow 540S (HSS) on the 'bay right now, has mini toggles for switching though.

Tags
1989 , desert yellow. , s540

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode