<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 9

I just bought My First Ibanez! An S570MQM. Pickups?

*** Arrived Pic Below ****

So not really my first, I owned a Roadstar in the 80's and purchased a GIO a year ago for my duaghter. I own several $3000 guitars and I still find myseld picking up the GIO. I know it is a $150 guitar but this one is actually pretty fun to play, just don't turn the amp on.

I actually order 2 Ibanez guitars. A S570MQM becuase I really wanted the Maple board and the guitar looks amazing. The S570 should arrive in the next day or two. The second is a RG2550e becuase it is a prestige and it fit my budget, but it is on backorder until March.

I wanted some wammmy action. Right now I have several LP's mostly with a variety of PAFs. I have an explorer with SD Blackouts. I do not want actives in this guitar. But obviously I tend to stay in the PAF range for the most part. I play 70's and 80's rock and heavy metal, think AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Motly Crue, Ozzy, Metallica. ABout the heaviest I get is Megadeath. I want something in the middle that has great cleans and a straty sound (also usable in 2 4 positions). I want the Bridge to be harmonically explosive with tones of sustain, and creamey distortion. The neck I am pretty much looking for a good match to the others.

I do have a semour Duncan JB/59 set I will probable try in the S570, which may work, but we all know Ibanez = DiMarzio

I thinking maybe an EVO or EVO 2 dridge (but I am not sure I have the chops), and velvet something in the middle, and maybe an evo, breed, air.... hell I don't know... for the neck.

Last edited by fly_with_v; 03-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

Re: I just bought My First Ibanez! An S570MQM. Pickups?

The JB/59 set might sound a little too "Muddy" in the S-570, but I think they would sound incredible in the RG. If you like duncans, which contrary to popular opinion, DO sound good in Ibanez's I would try the TB-5 "duncan custom" in the bridge and a TB-10 "full shred" for the neck (both for the S570) I'd also try the SLSD-1 "Li'l screamin' demon" in the middle. This would be a VERY edgy combination that I think would balance well with the mahogany body of the S.

For the RG, I would first try the SD set that you already own. If you don't like it and want to try DiMarzio's, the ToneZone/AirNorton combo is an all time classic and VERY effective for our type of music (apparently,I play all the same music you do....lol)

There is a good reason that SO MANY people use this combo in their RG's.......THEY ROCK!! The "True Velvet" is a perfect compliment to the TZ/AN combo
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 3

[quote=RGTFanatic;1075053]If you like duncans, which contrary to popular opinion, DO sound good in Ibanez's .

Great pick-ups sound good in great guitars always!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

[quote=vy100;1075065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
If you like duncans, which contrary to popular opinion, DO sound good in Ibanez's .

Great pick-ups sound good in great guitars always!
lol.......Amen Brother!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
For the RG, I would first try the SD set that you already own. If you don't like it and want to try DiMarzio's, the ToneZone/AirNorton combo is an all time classic and VERY effective for our type of music (apparently,I play all the same music you do....lol)

There is a good reason that SO MANY people use this combo in their RG's.......THEY ROCK!! The "True Velvet" is a perfect compliment to the TZ/AN combo
I went with RGT's advice on my RG2550 and absolutely love these pickups. The TZ just screams, although has to be eq'd a bit, imo, for chunky rhythms as it is quite bassy.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
I went with RGT's advice on my RG2550 and absolutely love these pickups. The TZ just screams, although has to be eq'd a bit, imo, for chunky rhythms as it is quite bassy.
Glad to hear that you like them man... Now you know why so many people make the same suggestion for the RG's.........lol. there just seem to be some sort of "zen" thing going on between the RG and these pup's. I can't explain it, but we have ALL heard it!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM

I am most likely only going to keep one of the guitars. If it ends up being the RG I am pretty sure that I would be satisfied with the JB/59 set. Of course I may even like the stock IBZ's. The sound of the JB in Alder or Basswood is something I have really liked in the past.

The JB's in a Les Paul are good, but not exactly what I want. That is why I think the may not work for me in the S570.

I will probably keep the S570 if it is built well and plays good, but I really won't know until I see how it compares quality wise to the RG. I really prefer the design and look of the S570. If I just need to do some minor fretboard work on the S570, no big deal. If we are taking apples and oranges across the board the S570 will be returned. Hell, if the RG is a "Perfect" guitar for me I may just need to spring for the RG3550mz, or if the prestige treatment proves worthy and I like the feel of the S570 maybe the S5470.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

It sound a bit confusing, but I'm sure most of us would LOVE to have these same "problems"....lol

Let us know how it's going throughout the process..........
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
did you see LonePhantom's thread on "taming the ToneZone"? It's a VERY simple mod, and will put that TZ EXACTLY where you want it to be...... without EQ changes.... You really have to read it. Its AWESOME!!

Here is his article:
http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/11/t...the-tone-zone/
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

Wait until you see my next foray with the Tone Zone. Slightly more invasive than the cap mods. I've opened the Tone Zone up, done the half-air mod, and swapped the Alnico 5 magnet with a ceramic to compare it with the IBZ/USA F2.

I'm planning on publishing the post and sound samples this week.

I quite liked the ceramic magnet in the Tone Zone.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Well I know I have really liked the necks on the Ibanez's I have played. There is no longer any Ibanez dealers locally so I would need to drive a few hours to play them. Whenever I do go out of town I usually check them out.

I need a locking temolo bridge. I know Ibanez makes very good trem if not the best. I had a Custom Fender with an edge once and loved it.

I want a maple fretboard guitar, I have rosewood and ebony fretboards.

I want a fairly slim neck guitar, most of mine are thicker. I can play with pretty much any neck, but my hands are on the small size (but hey my feet are big).

I am very particular when it come to my instruments. I buy and sell a lot, but charish the ones I keep. I have a guitar I have owned over 25 years, a couple in the 10 - 15 range, and then a couple newer ones. I also have built several LP 59 replicas that are very good, in fact so good that I sold most of my Gibson LP collection, I had 8 and now only 2. One of my favorite guitars is a korean made 2001 Epiphone, it just works but it is also very worn. This is the only guitar I have that is not American made.

So I am trying something new, an Ibanez. To me the RG's are a little plain, like a Jackson. The Saber is a little more my style. I wanted to stay under $1000 with this purchase. I usually buy new.

Remember I am particular and for less then $1000 (my wife said $800)there isn't a whole lot out there new that I can return if I do not like it. SO.....

Guitar center had a sale. I ordered the S570MQM for $549. Can't beat that. I feel in love with the design and look (red with maple neck) when I saw it a few months ago. I could not resist. I just need to see the fit and finish to know if it is a keeper, I can always find a pickup that will work.

The next day, after a few email exchanges with Musician's Friend about a guitar that I am not satisfied with I decided to return it in exchange for another guitar and a reduction in price. While searching I saw the RG2550E at $699 which was $200 to $300 less then anywhere else. $699 plus my discount for a Prestige? Again, I could not resist and I ordered it as the exchange knowing that it will not be available for a month.

I have a great relationship with Musician's Friend, which means I spend a lot of money with them. I have bought several Private Reserve guitars so they treat me pretty good.

I may keep both or return one, it just depends on how they sound, play, and feel.

All that being said, did I mention I have a sickness?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Sounds to me like you wanted really a ESP MII They come with Duncans so you save yourself the swap. Like the S its my favorite Ibanez.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_with_v View Post
All that being said, did I mention I have a sickness?
lol..... Unfortunately, MANY of us are afflicted with this terrible disease and ,to date, there is no known cure......... perhaps we need to start a research foundation and a support group.......lol
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM

It Arrived! The S570MQM. I must say first impression.....A F&*^ing mazing. Seriously, the guitar is basically flawless from my initial inspection. The top looks beautiful and the back although not one pice looks great. Plays like a dream even without a setup. I remember why I like these necks so much, thin, flat, and fast. My small hands (remember I have big feet) fit perfectly. Action is really good for not being setup, about 2mm at the 14th. It feels like i can do better. I know can do better and definately better then my plek'd Gibsons. The neck and fretboard surface is excellent and the frets great, nicely polished and filed on the ends. I could probably improve the fret ends slightly with about an hours work. They are pretty good, but i can feel them slightly although I am being very picky.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

The pickups are actually not bad (I was expecting worse), but definately could be improved. I like the way the respond to volume changes and to the the 2 4 postions. I haven't owned a single coil (other then split) in a long time and that is a very nice addition. I do not feel like it is in the way, something I was worried about. The Bridge pickup seems to keep thing fairly tight and not overly bright, the neck is warm but not a PAF.

Tags
pickups, s570, s570mqm

Show/Hide Posting Rules