Ibanez JEM Forum banner

IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

174K views 990 replies 118 participants last post by  MatiasTolkki 
#1 ·
IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)! What will be new,,what to be expected for us ibanez fans who just cant wait. :p anyone know post here :D

#437 ·
I don't have the links, but the new Iron Label guitars are making me jittery. I have no idea why. Also. . . . . .

8 STRING S-SERIES!!!!!!!

I don't care that the prices are going up a bit and I'm not scared of adding any Indo's to my all-Japanese family because this year, so far, Ibanez has delivered. They really brought it to the table.

#442 ·
This thread has become the US$/Yen Exchange! Rich, Ibanez contracts with the Sugi specialty shop right? Why don't Ibanez contract with Mike at Lipe guitars and do the USA Custom line again? History repeats itself! Dollar for dollar this would bring the price back for a USA Custom! The only exchange rate needed then would be when they exported these guitars from dealers as yourself!!!!!

#445 ·
My only reason to hesitate on buying used is getting a potential neck nightmare. Who knows sometimes what the last guy did to that neck. In this case buying new is better. At least buying new you have a better leg to stand on in saying "hey, this guitar you sold me is f-ed up! Please give me a replacement."

Also, I'd bet Ibanez would reduce MIJ pricing before moving production to the US again. My bet is both are very unlikely to happen. :D
It's a shame though. Just because you have a bad experience dating a chick doesn't mean you stop dating chicks overall.

#447 ·
Come on. Premiums feel a little different than Prestige just as Ibanez feel different than Jackson. To say it's not pro level is nuts. A pro can play anything that's fully sorted out. A fully sorted Mikro is pro level because a pro can play it as well as anything else he picks up.

The fact is many love these Premiums. Some of you [including me] want to quibble over the QC or cosmetics, while the ones that accept them are enjoying playing the guitars instead.

#449 ·
The fact is many love these Premiums. Some of you [including me] want to quibble over the QC or cosmetics, while the ones that accept them are enjoying playing the guitars instead.
I fully agree here.
I mean I am one of those who was/is complaining a lot about the cosmetic and other QC issues on the Premiums and every single Premium I have had in my hands (4 in total) had some kind of issue, BUT most of these issues had an easy fix, well right now I have one with a fret that's not seated right, not sure yet if that will be an easy fix, but I do expect this to get fixed by a guitar tech without me having to return the guitar.

Bottom line: after I got over some small cosmetic flaws and/or got the neck alignment fixed (which was very easy) I was very happy with the Premium!

#450 ·
I don't think I'd say that a Premium is anywhere near a beginner instrument. My first guitar was truly that. It was an Arbor that was made out of plywood and I think had a phenolic fretboard. One of my friends learned on one of those cheapo Squiers that you could buy back in 1989 for $180.

A Premium is an excellent value guitar and is certainly better than any of the MIK stuff that Ibanez was selling for years. If you're interested in higher grade hardware, better fit and finish and a better out-of-the-box guitar, then the MIJ is the way to go.

But if you're willing to pay for a pro setup on top of the Premium, then you're into a grey area. A fully prepped Premium is probably a better instrument than an out-of-the-box MIJ for possibly less money. All you're missing at that point is the hardware.

#451 ·
But if you're willing to pay for a pro setup on top of the Premium, then you're into a grey area. A fully prepped Premium is probably a better instrument than an out-of-the-box MIJ for possibly less money. All you're missing at that point is the hardware.
And the quibble about hardware always was - they won't stay in tune. Well that's what these guitars do very well with the new EZ and 2 knives and studs, they stay in tune as they're supposed to no matter what abuse you give them.

#455 ·
I'm actually diggin' these two, along with the UV70:

"How many frets is too many? Apparently not 30. We first clamped eyes on a 'concept' prototype of Ibanez's 30-fret noodlings at NAMM, now here it is, and it's less than 400 quid!
It also comes equipped with an Edge-Zero II bridge, ZPS3Fe locking vibrato, Infinity pickups and a 'neck pickup simulator'. We can't wait."

And, the RG950QMZ:

#456 ·
I'm just excited I get the UV7BK looks, new condition, at a much cheaper price and with warranty. Besides, Rich is right. Properly set up, a professional can play any guitar. I think the Danelectros of the past are excellent examples. Frankly, I'm excited to get both of my UV's, and I look forward to playing on them for years to come.

#460 · (Edited)
I honestly think that if some of you guys transfered your time away from bitching, moaning, complaining, and crying about, literally, 1mm differences in neck dimensions or microscopic differences in quality and instead used that time to play and learn the guitar you would've surpassed even Vai himself more than 10 years ago.

It used to be that there was a huge difference in Japanese vs. Korean/Indonesia, but now that Ibanez has released the Premium line and they're puting fantastic trems like the ZR and Edge Zero 2 on some of the lower Ibanez guitars, that difference is thinning. If you were to take a Premium and Prestige and set them up amazingly I'd have a hard time believing you wouldn't be enjoying both guitars for their own separate merits.

Take a chill pill and relax. Things we're so much worse in 2006. These past handful of years Ibanez has been seriously listening to us and I think they're doing a good job so far. I played a Premium and it felt really similar to my 1997 RG570 and I'd have no problem buying it! Plus all the awesome colors they've released... remember when every model was available in BLACK only? And check out those maple fretboard models that were non-existent 4 years ago! Seriously those new RG920M's with the maple fretboards are BEAUTIFUL!

Let's give Ibanez a round of APPLAUSE! WOOT WOOT!

#463 ·
I honestly think that if some of you guys transfered your time away from bitching, moaning, complaining, and crying about, literally, 1mm differences in neck dimensions or microscopic differences in quality and instead used that time to play and learn the guitar you would've surpassed even Vai himself more than 10 years ago.

It used to be that there was a huge difference in Japanese vs. Korean/Indonesia, but now that Ibanez has released the Premium line and they're puting fantastic trems like the ZR and Edge Zero 2 on some of the lower Ibanez guitars, that difference is thinning. If you were to take a Premium and Prestige and set them up amazingly I'd have a hard time believing you wouldn't be enjoying both guitars for their own separate merits.

Take a chill pill and relax. Things we're so much worse in 2006. These past handful of years Ibanez has been seriously listening to us and I think they're doing a good job so far. I played a Premium and it felt really similar to my 1997 RG570 and I'd have no problem buying it! Plus all the awesome colors they've released... remember when every model was available in BLACK only? And check out those maple fretboard models that were non-existent 4 years ago! Seriously those new RG920M's with the maple fretboards are BEAUTIFUL!

Let's give Ibanez a round of APPLAUSE! WOOT WOOT!
Exactly!
I like my 920 just as much as my MIJ RGs.

#461 ·
Hahahaha! This shouldn't turn into a pissing contest over who can play. Sure, a good player can make the most of any guitar no matter how "budget" that instrument might be.
I think I'm much more down with Premiums minus the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups. I really liked the RG870 but, alas, it wasn't long for the US market. Put in cheap pickups; most of us are going to switch them out anyway.
My favorite Premium thus far was the RG721LE and, IMO, that was perfectly priced.
In terms of colors all of the color Premiums have been quilts (aside from the 1XXV) or they're black. I've never been a big fan of quilts/flames but that's me. I'd like to see a Premium RG921 in a solid color that isn't black. White might be cool though.

#462 ·
I'd like to see a Premium RG921 in a solid color that isn't black. White might be cool though.
OMFG I'm about to piss my pants from excitement thinking about that! A fully white Ibanez Road Star Guitar, including a white head stock, with a maple fretboard. MMMM.

ANd about the pickups.. I'd rather they put ****-lickable ones in it to keep the costs down because I'd rather just shove a pair of Mario's to my tastes in them anyways.

#467 ·
I was lucky enough to play a Premium Jem 70V at a local guitar store. I have to say, it in no way felt like a budget guitar for me. It was superb, and I am currently saving hard to be able to buy it. I think there's a lot of snobbery with guitarists - it's the same with Fender, people who have US guitars are always going to talk down on the Mexican ones. If it feels good and sounds good to the person who's buying it, then what's the problem?!

#480 · (Edited)
The quality of the guitar matters to an extent.

Certain techniques, like sweep picking, are much easier on, say, an EMBB Petrucci than on an Ibanez RG350DX.

If you're a total noob it doesn't matter quite as much (as long as the guitar isn't total crap that is so bad you can't even learn), but there are definitely some guitars that make you a better player given your current level of skill.

Let me put it another way: can a great guitar player make a beginner-level guitar sound great? Of course! But can he make it sound as great as an EMBB Petrucci (or whatever his ideal guitar of choice is)? No way.

#497 · (Edited)
Let me put it another way: can a great guitar player make a beginner-level guitar sound great? Of course! But can he make it sound as great as an EMBB Petrucci (or whatever his ideal guitar of choice is)? No way.
Two words, Paul Gilbert!

If he were a woodworker, he could take a piece of driftwood, string it with gut strings from an old John McEnroe racquet, and basically kick just about anyone's butt out there. A truly great guitar, and I have had a few, can inspire you to play better, if that's what floats your boat in the first place, but it won't make you play better if you are at least an advanced player (strong ability to read music, compose, improvise, said sweep picking, jazz comping, classical, and other stuff similar to a lot of good, well rounded players out there). The key for intermediate guitarists out there should be to get to the point where gear can't possibly hinder you one iota. At that point ten or twenty years in with consistent practicing and playing, the only thing that should stump you are pieces in weird tempos, transposing, and reading multiple sharps and flats in real time for breakfast like a Vai can do.

#481 ·
Okay I have to chime in on this. IMO both Premium AND MIJ Ibanez guitars often require much of the same major setup tweaks and pickup swaps to get them to where they need to be, for me. Even the J-Custom and some of the other MIJ models I've purchased new needed major TLC to get them to what I'd consider "pro level". Bridge and/or nut shims, fret-leveling, upgraded electronics, etc. It's just part of the deal if you want your Ibanez to perform to the best of its ability.

I currently own a J-Custom JC7RG2012BOP, Apex 100 TTF, RG7621M-BOL, RG1077XL, SC1620FM, RG2228, and have had literally 60-70 other very nice MIJ Ibanez guitars over the years. I can tell you from first hand experience that the Premium RG927Q I got from Rich plays and sounds good enough to hang with most of those. Is it *as* good? No. But after throwing in some BKP Holydiver pickups, applying the usual shims to the bridge, and doing a proper setup on it, its now a joy to play. I've played it at several big shows and its given me no problems. It resonates well, stays in tune, and plays great. I am glad I purchased it, and to me it was worth every penny I paid to Rich Harris for it.

I am (obviously) a huge Ibanez fan, but the reality is many other high-end Japanese guitars like ESPs or Caparisons tend to come in good to go out of the box. Everyone knows Ibanez guitars typically need some work when they come in. Rich will tell you this. It isnt a scheme for Rich to upsell his stuff, he does terrific work and work that is unfortunately necessarily if you want them to perform their best. However once you do the necessary mods, setup, pickup swaps, etc... the Ibanez definitely can hang and thats why I love them and own so many.

I guess the point of what I'm saying is: No one loves MIJ Ibanez more than I do, but lets not romanticize them and make like Premiums are trash. The MIJs are certainly better, but they're not perfect either. They all require some work to get them on par with a Japanese ESP or similar high-end guitars in my experience.

#483 ·
Okay I have to chime in on this. IMO both Premium AND MIJ Ibanez guitars often require much of the same major setup tweaks and pickup swaps to get them to where they need to be, for me. Even the J-Custom and some of the other MIJ models I've purchased new needed major TLC to get them to what I'd consider "pro level". Bridge and/or nut shims, fret-leveling, upgraded electronics, etc. It's just part of the deal if you want your Ibanez to perform to the best of its ability.

I am (obviously) a huge Ibanez fan, but the reality is many other high-end Japanese guitars like ESPs or Caparisons tend to come in good to go out of the box. Everyone knows Ibanez guitars typically need some work when they come in.

They all require some work to get them on par with a Japanese ESP or similar high-end guitars in my experience.
There's a good point in here which I think is that folks need to remember to differentiate between how good a guitar is and how good its set up is.

I've never had a problem with the electronics of an MIJ Ibanez, I've had diffferent preferences, but never problems. Raglor's mileage has varied, and that's ok :)

#486 ·
I agree. The premis are great guitars. I have played the reissue rgs, and 4 or 5 different 900 series from different guitar stores and every one of them was awesome. F- the price of a new japanese model that would offer the same options.

I refuse to spend any more than 1500 on a guitar. It is some wood, wire and electronics. Wood doesn't cost that much and time is sorta thrown out when they are made by CNC machines. Finish is what matters and probably the most expensive part because it requires a person to actually work with the guitar.

I am excited that Ibanez has found a way to cut thier cost but still offer a quality product.

#487 ·
Raglor bought from Rich. And while I haven't I understand Rich is more apt to send back a guitar before any brick and mortar or online retailer. Perhaps everyone should buy their Premiums from Rich?
And this conversation isn't about playing ability or snobbery; its about value. Value exists at every price point. I've been arguing for years that the low end Indo stuff is the best bang for a buck from pretty much any manufacturer. I suppose we disagree on the value of Premiums as, at their price point, I would rather go to the used market. But hey, that's me.

#488 ·
I refuse to spend any more than 1500 on a guitar.
Dude I love you and also agree with you.

And this conversation isn't about playing ability or snobbery; its about value. Value exists at every price point. I've been arguing for years that the low end Indo stuff is the best bang for a buck from pretty much any manufacturer. I suppose we disagree on the value of Premiums as, at their price point, I would rather go to the used market. But hey, that's me.
If we're talking about value here then you should never pay more than $1200 for an Ibanez because you can get a fully custom USA made and built Carvin guitar with any wood choice, color choice, body type, headstock top, and any bridge type you could ever want for around that price. For me, a hobbyist who records and plays in a band every now and again, it's hard to justify dropping more than $1200 on an Ibanez.

#530 · (Edited)
Gear4Music tells us some more news ...
I went to that site, www.gear4music.com , but couldn't find the link or anything on 2013 Ibanez models.

update: never mind, I typed in the site, went to electric guitars, clicked on the Ibanez logo, and then saw the upper left hand banner over certain models that says improved 2013 model OR new launch. I was looking for a breaking news story. :)

I love that some of the hollow and semi-hollow Artcores and Artstars now have ebony fretboards and I hope this great fretboard wood comes to America in this new year at those affordable prices in the neighborhood of just $700-$1,100 dollars USD offering near high end characteristics in a moderately priced instrument. I have looked for new 2013 artcores since December and it looks like I have seen quite a few from this forum.

Way to go, Ibanez.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.