<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
(a)

Re: IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglor View Post
The MIJs are certainly better, but they're not perfect either. They all require some work to get them on par with a Japanese ESP or similar high-end guitars in my experience.
I have an ESP M-1 Tiger and it is a fantastically set up guitar in stock form. But price wise it is not really comparable to a Jem, which I would consider to be the comparable instrument from Ibanez. I just checked Rich's price for a Jem with Platinum setup package and it's still cheaper than a new M-1 Tiger.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post

Let me put it another way: can a great guitar player make a beginner-level guitar sound great? Of course! But can he make it sound as great as an EMBB Petrucci (or whatever his ideal guitar of choice is)? No way.
Two words, Paul Gilbert!

If he were a woodworker, he could take a piece of driftwood, string it with gut strings from an old John McEnroe racquet, and basically kick just about anyone's butt out there. A truly great guitar, and I have had a few, can inspire you to play better, if that's what floats your boat in the first place, but it won't make you play better if you are at least an advanced player (strong ability to read music, compose, improvise, said sweep picking, jazz comping, classical, and other stuff similar to a lot of good, well rounded players out there). The key for intermediate guitarists out there should be to get to the point where gear can't possibly hinder you one iota. At that point ten or twenty years in with consistent practicing and playing, the only thing that should stump you are pieces in weird tempos, transposing, and reading multiple sharps and flats in real time for breakfast like a Vai can do.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I have an ESP M-1 Tiger and it is a fantastically set up guitar in stock form. But price wise it is not really comparable to a Jem, which I would consider to be the comparable instrument from Ibanez. I just checked Rich's price for a Jem with Platinum setup package and it's still cheaper than a new M-1 Tiger.
You're comparing it to one random ESP. Most ESP M-1s, M-2s, Horizons, Eclipse Japanese models street for $1400-1800.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I guess the point of what I'm saying is: No one loves MIJ Ibanez more than I do, but lets not romanticize them and make like Premiums are trash. The MIJs are certainly better, but they're not perfect either. They all require some work to get them on par with a Japanese ESP or similar high-end guitars in my experience.
Having ESP and LTD be my other love in electric guitars these days, I have to say this is spot on. Whether MIJ, MIK, or Indonesian I have found that company treasures the setup out of the factory unlike anybody out there. Ibanez has great setup compared to Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Aria, Yamaha, and most of the other major players, but ESP and LTD are a cut above Ibanez when it comes to setup. For 30 years before the metalheads started making ESP the guitar of choice, Ibanez was historically the setup master of all the major brands.

A well set up upper-mid guitar will play better than an upper level or custom shop guitar any day of the week!

If we want to get down to brass tacks, ESP/LTD are the second best, let's say of all the major brands out there, in general setup behind Schechter. I don't know if Schechter is a major brand or if they have that much visibility outside of Guitar Center and Musician's Friend but they are worth checking out. Though I am not a Schechter player, they have the best setup crew ever seen in this industry. It's always fun to play the Schechter first in a big store in order to compare setup of other brands if you don't believe me. Schechter are like a poor man's Ibanez or ESP/LTD. What one pays for a prestige Ibanez or ESP Standard, they can get two similarly great Schechters with cases and Seymour Duncans or EMGs stock. They tie for second with Jackson and Ibanez in sales to the metal crowd for standard six string solidbody electrics and may challenge Ibanez one day for top spot of 7/8 string instruments.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-04-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
(a)

Quote:
You're comparing it to one random ESP. Most ESP M-1s, M-2s, Horizons, Eclipse Japanese models street for $1400-1800.
Fair enough. RG3570Z, $1870 from Rich with a Platinum setup package, RG1570 for $1335.

Same price range for a fully sorted and prepped guitar. I used the M-1 Tiger vs. Jem because they're both artist signature models, and it's the ESP model I happen to have experience with.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. RG3570Z, $1870 from Rich with a Platinum setup package, RG1570 for $1335.

Same price range for a fully sorted and prepped guitar. I used the M-1 Tiger vs. Jem because they're both artist signature models, and it's the ESP model I happen to have experience with.
I'm failing to see your point here. This wasn't an Ibanez vs ESP thing, that's a different discussion which is purely subjective. I was discussing the hate for Premiums and bringing up that even MIJs tend to need a lot of work to get right whereas their similarly priced competitors come perfect out if the box. Obviously I'm more of an Ibanez guy seeing as I own a bunch and currently no ESPs. But im just calling it like it is. I'm not saying anything everyone doesn't already know who is experienced with Ibanez.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:

Yep--I think this is a fair comparison.
Loved my ESP Mirage Deluxe. Wish I never sold it.
I forgot about that M-1 Tiger you snagged. It's apparently still one of your favorites...lol.
The boss has promised me a Skull and Bones once we move--just have to decide between Chris Woods and XRay.
Probably going to get it from Chris, as his look a little more accurate.
A buddy has the XRay, and it's very nice--but Chris' just have better detail.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
This is REALLY nice! Is this regular Indo or Premium? Is it coming to the US?

EDIT: RG440V for $560 if you convert to USD. If it comes here I might have to find a way to make this happen.
I wonder what kind of neck it has? Wizard III, do you think?

It reminds me of an RT650. 24 frets. Standard trem. Put a single spaced humbucker in the neck position and you'd have the HSH configuration. Add a coil split and you'd have the same configuration as the RT series, although probably a different neck.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
The quality of the guitar matters to an extent.

Certain techniques, like sweep picking, are much easier on, say, an EMBB Petrucci than on an Ibanez RG350DX.

If you're a total noob it doesn't matter quite as much (as long as the guitar isn't total crap that is so bad you can't even learn), but there are definitely some guitars that make you a better player given your current level of skill.

Let me put it another way: can a great guitar player make a beginner-level guitar sound great? Of course! But can he make it sound as great as an EMBB Petrucci (or whatever his ideal guitar of choice is)? No way.
Of all the genius posts I've seen here from you, this one takes the cake.

I'll bet you my RG7620 that my cheap-o Squier Strat plays as good as any EBMM.
If quality and playability can be measured, then it can be added as well.
They all started out as 3 or 4 pieces of wood and some metal. You can ALWAYS mod and upgrade. Whether you're playing an RG350 or a J.Custom.

By the way, it is no easier to sweep pick on a well setup JP model then it is on a well setup Daisey Rock. It's about preference and a good overall setup.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Reviews: 11

Also, that Iron Label 7 string with the EZII-7 is calling to me.

Which is weird, because I REALLY hate EMG's. Maybe it's just time for something different.

Hope those come to the USA!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Of all the genius posts I've seen here from you, this one takes the cake.

I'll bet you my RG7620 that my cheap-o Squier Strat plays as good as any EBMM.
If quality and playability can be measured, then it can be added as well.
They all started out as 3 or 4 pieces of wood and some metal. You can ALWAYS mod and upgrade. Whether you're playing an RG350 or a J.Custom.

By the way, it is no easier to sweep pick on a well setup JP model then it is on a well setup Daisey Rock. It's about preference and a good overall setup.
LOL...agreed.
While more expensive guitars have generally better quality components and build--it's possible to make lower-end guitars play and sound good, too.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 01-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
I wonder what kind of neck it has? Wizard III, do you think?

It reminds me of an RT650. 24 frets. Standard trem. Put a single spaced humbucker in the neck position and you'd have the HSH configuration. Add a coil split and you'd have the same configuration as the RT series, although probably a different neck.
Looks like Wizard 3 per Gear4Music.
Also my price might be high as it says their price includes the 20% VAT so maybe about $470 I'm guessing. I'm sure US pricing will vary.
I've been looking for a good fixed bridge but the SyncrhoniZR non-locking has me curious on this model, plus the HSS config and all around Gilmour/shred mash-up in my head from looking at it.
I'm glad to see the standard Gibraltar on the lower end Indo stuff is staying too.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
(a)

Quote:
I'm failing to see your point here.
My point is based on these comments:
Quote:
I am (obviously) a huge Ibanez fan, but the reality is many other high-end Japanese guitars like ESPs or Caparisons tend to come in good to go out of the box.

I guess the point of what I'm saying is: No one loves MIJ Ibanez more than I do, but lets not romanticize them and make like Premiums are trash. The MIJs are certainly better, but they're not perfect either. They all require some work to get them on par with a Japanese ESP or similar high-end guitars in my experience.
I countered that an ESP is a more expensive guitar and gave an example. I would expect it to be better out of the box. If price were not a factor, then we wouldn't be having this Premier vs. Prestige conversation.

You came back by saying that my M-1 Tiger vs. Jem comparison was not apt because it wasn't representative of a "run of the mill" MIJ guitar and that a typical ESP was in the $1400-1800 range. I showed that for the same price, you could have an Ibanez with Rich's highest grade setup.

I would have used Rich's "inspected" prices to show that a Prestige Ibanez is at a lower price point than an ESP, but Rich doesn't publish those prices. So in the end it still seems like a you get what you pay for argument
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

My point is they shouldnt need "Rich's highest upgrade". My point was that all Ibanez guitars, be it Premium or Prestige or even J-Custom, need work out of the box. This isn't the case with companies like ESP. Thats all. We'll have to agree to disagree man While I prefer Ibanez personally, its just the way I see it. My whole angle here is: dont hate on the Premiums, they're fairly nice guitars, and the MIJs need much of the same work to get them right also.

Anyways, lets not derail the thread too much. I'm personally very excited about a lot of the new 2013 offerings. Especially excited for all the cool new MIJ 7-strings coming out.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM

I just want to see the MiJ uni -_-

Show/Hide Posting Rules