<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Re: IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

Well since some are debating Indo vs Japan or Premium vs. Japan, for me it is usually all about how the neck feels and I guess Im a wizard/superwizard snob. I look at the premiums and being an Ibby fan, I want to like them. I saw a 920 that just made me drool, but everytime i go to play one of them at the LMS they just dont feel "right". I can't seem to enjoy the neck profile and something else just seems off, I really can't even place what it is. Since the 70v is supposed to have the jem profile, Im sure I would like it but I live in a small town and will never get to play one here. There are definetly some interesting looking stix for 13, I hope one of them feels right for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I keep waiting for somebody to post about the two secrets I know about. Are there going to be any left by the time the 25th rolls around?
A third Steve Vai-related 7 string, perhaps a UV7PWH or UV777GR, that'd be nice. Oh, and how about 7 based off buddy from Dragonforce?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ahull View Post
Which 2 might they be?........
I am guessing one is a Jem model.......
I wasn't baiting you guys to get me to spill the beans, I was just commenting that all the secrets seem to be slowly leaking out
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM
(a)
Vendor

Jesse understands that if you have the privilege of seeing a catalog page that it comes with the same restrictions placed on the dealer that has the catalog, and the information is confidential and not to be shared with anybody. Unlike the d-bags that race to their keyboards and shout it to anybody that will listen for their 15 seconds of fame.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
Well since some are debating Indo vs Japan or Premium vs. Japan, for me it is usually all about how the neck feels and I guess Im a wizard/superwizard snob. I look at the premiums and being an Ibby fan, I want to like them. I saw a 920 that just made me drool, but everytime i go to play one of them at the LMS they just dont feel "right". I can't seem to enjoy the neck profile and something else just seems off, I really can't even place what it is. Since the 70v is supposed to have the jem profile, Im sure I would like it but I live in a small town and will never get to play one here. There are definetly some interesting looking stix for 13, I hope one of them feels right for me.
I like the neck but I'm a fan of the Prestige Wizard. To me Premium Wizard feels similar; it's the radius that's different I believe. It does feel a bit off but still good. I'm not a big fan of EZ/EZ2 though; well, not as big a fan anyway as the trems that preceded it. I understand why Premiums exist. They're to replace the gap left by Prestige who's pricing is out of this world thanks to macro forces. Fine! I get it. But most are more expensive than the guitars they're replacing from the MIJ line which to me seems odd. But hey, if Ibanez can get away with it good for them. I'm just not going to buy a MII Premium 7 for $1,000 when there are plenty of $400 MIJ RG7620's to be found on the bay.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Jesse understands that if you have the privilege of seeing a catalog page that it comes with the same restrictions placed on the dealer that has the catalog, and the information is confidential and not to be shared with anybody. Unlike the d-bags that race to their keyboards and shout it to anybody that will listen for their 15 seconds of fame.
Why do you think all this info is getting out? Purposeful leaks by Ibanez? Careless dealers or endorsers? Carelessness by Ibanez a la RG2XX/3XX?

I assumed they would want to have all this stuff for NAMM?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
(a)

Leaks of info always come out for many reasons. Some by those who should not but do for attention. Some by design to drive up interest and fervor.

This thread reminds me of kids before Xmas. Such excitement and then complaints afterwards when they don't get what they want. I want blue! Blue blue blue.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
(a)
Vendor

It's different, and the same, every year.

This year, UK evidently is bucking the system and doing whatever they want, and Japan will have to deal with them. The release to musicradar, and then a couple dealers with model pages already online. In no way is this factory authorized. If it was factory authorized it would come through a factory owned distributor.

This year you had the idiots in sweetwater IT dept link several new models, reported and immediately pulled down. Mistakes will always happen when there are humans involved, there was no "intent" with those IMO, just a screwup.

There will always be some that get to see the catalog the reps will give to their top dealers to start the orders flowing [and their commission checks] but of course those come with the caveat that the information is not for public release, but some of the individuals that get a peak at these catalogs are of questionable ethics and could care less what they spill as long as they get their 15 seconds of fame.

Then there's always the hackers that have found access to evidently more than one data source, one prominently coming from a chain in Germany a couple years ago, no doubt still being accessed. This is why I keep all the advance pictures I get on my PC only until it's allowed to be published, 1/24, or, first day of NAMM every year.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM

The best way to keep a secret is to tell as few people as possible. I guess with the way pre-NAMM stuff is set up (catalogs, sales meetings, getting websites ready, etc) it is virtually impossible to keep these secrets.
I think even the ancient Egyptian pharoes would have a tough time of it in today's world.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
(a)
Vendor

Exactly, they want us to be able to hit the ground running on 1/24, but by doing so it puts the data in the hands of many, some of which have no business with it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's different, and the same, every year.

This year, UK evidently is bucking the system and doing whatever they want, and Japan will have to deal with them. The release to musicradar, and then a couple dealers with model pages already online. In no way is this factory authorized. If it was factory authorized it would come through a factory owned distributor.

This year you had the idiots in sweetwater IT dept link several new models, reported and immediately pulled down. Mistakes will always happen when there are humans involved, there was no "intent" with those IMO, just a screwup.

There will always be some that get to see the catalog the reps will give to their top dealers to start the orders flowing [and their commission checks] but of course those come with the caveat that the information is not for public release, but some of the individuals that get a peak at these catalogs are of questionable ethics and could care less what they spill as long as they get their 15 seconds of fame.

Then there's always the hackers that have found access to evidently more than one data source, one prominently coming from a chain in Germany a couple years ago, no doubt still being accessed. This is why I keep all the advance pictures I get on my PC only until it's allowed to be published, 1/24, or, first day of NAMM every year.
I didn't know that something like a 2013 guitar from Ibanez was so secret. If anything, wouldn't it make us (or at least big time Ibanez fans like us) get more interested and more likely to buy one of their guitars? Gibson has their 2013 models out, Les Pauls and SGs put apparently not others, in MF/GC and have bragged about this or that guitar being a "2013" since November of last year, if not sooner. Maybe that's how it should be done.

Some companies, like Apple, brag about their secrecy and form a huge myth only to make TIME magazine covers before their release which is totally what Steve Jobs and Apple had in mind in the first place. Whether a product is good, bad, or just mediocre, having a shroud of secrecy around it does help sales, even if the company "releases" information sooner making the buyer feel like they "discovered" it first. The so-called leaks that first made news concerning Apple are later found out to be marketing but I just pat them on the back for being so clever.

I know "you" probably know all the 2013 models and assume are probably banned from print ads and internet pages on that information until NAMM in a couple of weeks. The UK sites who put up the stuff are pretty well known and must have possibly had to pay a fee to publish the 25 or so models from 2013 we have seen here on Jemsite.

I am not really shocked in what they have in 2013 with different colors and a few changed parts. I do love the use of ebony fretboards on an Artcore and the reintroduction in some markets of now higher end Artstars with ebony. That was fun to see here.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM

When we launch new products, we're always told ahead of time but told to actively leak the info when appropriate, like when you know someone is considering a competitor because your current model doesn't meet their needs, but you know the new one will. Of course there are a ton of idiots who lose sales when a customer is ready to cut a PO for the current model but then they wow them with info about the new model. Always sell what you have today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I didn't know that something like a 2013 guitar from Ibanez was so secret. If anything, wouldn't it make us (or at least big time Ibanez fans like us) get more interested and more likely to buy one of their guitars? Gibson has their 2013 models out in MF/GC and have bragged about this or that guitar being a "2013" since November of last year, if not sooner. Maybe that's how it should be done.
The issue is most likely that Ibanez does a good deal of business during the holiday season. If they told everyone about the new models early, a lot of potential buyers would choose to sit out and wait. Then, by the time the new models come around, surprise surprise but they don't have money for a guitar any longer.

Releasing new models in November would potentially solve this.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM
(a)
Vendor

Any company has a right to choose how it wants to reveal new products, regardless of how any other company chooses. I think they know there is no way to keep a lid on everything, because it's been proven every year. But they are not leaking or promoting leaks either. The few models that they can keep secret are only because they're keeping them completely out of the loop until show day.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Too bad you can't do everything but the pictures up front; then smack images on the day of or before.
This whole thing kind of reminds me somewhat of what the car industry does with painting prototype cars with funky shapes or driving them under coverings. There's always going to be someone jumping the fence wanting a picture.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM

I understand the logic of wanting to 'surprise' people at the big show, but let's be realistic here, it's just a guitar. It isn't like the vaccine for a disease that's suddenly unveiled and blows everyone away. It's the same thing with mobile technologies, everyone 'leaking' upcoming phone models, and the resulting fallout as if this product being common knowledge somehow makes it less appealling for the consumer when it's 'officially' revealed.

For the general public that just want to see what kind of new toys they get to spend their tax return on, all we want is a little picture or two to get our saliva flowing. I doubt it's really a case of people looking for '15 seconds of fame', it's more likely just excitement at finding out that there's going to be a new toy soon.

Show/Hide Posting Rules