<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Re: IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin'[url=http://www.jemsite.com/forums/tags.php?tag=
[/url] a Ride;1218011]This seems like a pretty broad statement. Ibanez does not have a single guitar (at least in the US) with the JB. ESP has it only on two signature models, but if that's what the artist uses, how could it be wrong? Jackson appears to use it the most liberally, but it's not like they're lacking for options besides it.

Since you use B tuning, obviously the JB is completely wrong for you. But many fans of Ibanez and Jackson are into classic shred stuff, much of which was made with the JB. Looking at the Jackson models that have the JB, it's stuff more similar to a high end Prestige or J.Custom, the kind of guitars that a bit older guys (like me) who were 80's metal fans would be interested in.
It wasnt a statement relating to Ibanez at all man, it was just a random thought. The JB is the most common pickup that comes stock in hard rock/metal guitars, and while its nice, I think there are better alternatives. Thats all. The JB is really nice for 80s metal stuff for sure, and has a nice lead tone and aggressive mids. I dont dislike the pickup... again... just I think it would be nice to see more manufacturers mix it up and not always throw in JB/59 or EMGs in everything
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
What's really funny, or maybe typical, is that when I go into either transistor or tube Marshalls in a larger output 4x12 or 8x12 setup, everything sounds like it's ceramic and hot. I can't really get a vintage clean tone, no matter what I play through.
I used to think that too until I got my PRS and the 59/09's in that just screamed vintage even with the POD I use. I have no use for THAT much vintage.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
I used to think that too until I got my PRS and the 59/09's in that just screamed vintage even with the POD I use. I have no use for THAT much vintage.
Are those 59/09's like Seth Lover PAF's?

The truly genuine PAF's in first versions do squeal at much lower volumes than later, standardized PAFs but purists really love their unapologetic vintage tone. Though it totally flies in the face of rock and roll, oldest version Seth Lover humbuckers can be great in hollowbodies for jazz where higher volumes are not needed nearly as often. I thought of making my hollowbody for low volume stuff only and of course jazz and getting a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers. The laminated top does cut on feedback some over a solid top, but a semi-hollowbody or hollowbody design is not as well suited for higher volumes as a solidbody. I may limit myself volume wise by adding squealing PAFs to any hollowbody but many swear by that combo.

When I went to music store to consider new pups for that Ibanez AS73, the salesman mentioned the PRS 59/90s. I think for jazz with a small Roland Cube I would have a really perfect setup. For the Marshalls I will just use any old solidbody and leave my hollowbody guitar at home.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-09-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Anyone seen this White 8 stringed MOFO... not to shabby
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Anyone seen this White 8 stringed MOFO... not to shabby

Yes Ibanez UK posted that pic on Facebook just a couple of hours ago. Looks really
awesome

I'm still curious about what kind of lefties will be released eventhough there might be no highend ones...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres_x View Post

I am REALLY looking forward to this one!!!! and the green dot UV premium.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglor View Post
It wasnt a statement relating to Ibanez at all man, it was just a random thought. The JB is the most common pickup that comes stock in hard rock/metal guitars, and while its nice, I think there are better alternatives. Thats all. The JB is really nice for 80s metal stuff for sure, and has a nice lead tone and aggressive mids. I dont dislike the pickup... again... just I think it would be nice to see more manufacturers mix it up and not always throw in JB/59 or EMGs in everything
The whole super drop tuned, scooped mids, current metal sound is completely not my thing, but I have often wondered why the manufacturers who cater more to this genre seem to never mix it up from EMG? It seems like there's a million guitars out there designed to produce exactly the same sound.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
It seems like there's a million guitars out there designed to produce exactly the same sound.
Yup, but there's a million guitarists picking up that wood and play the same thing too. It's just selling to the market; same as the 80's with super strats, same as the 90's with pawn shop chique. Now there isn't much to sell to like metal and grunge so guitar companies will ride the best horse they can find. I think it's djent and Animals as Leaders and downtunez and such these days. Not that it's bad. I like a lot of it. But I think we all start out in a certain genre when we first start playing and branch out into other stuff later. You can say everyone made an RG-type guitar back when I started because that's what was popular.
Even though it looks pure Indo that's why I'm digging that RG440V. It's like nothing I've played or owned so far.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Talk about djent and Animals as Leaders, that type of sound, even in six strings, will be featured a lot in quite a few guitar companies including Ibanez if they are smart. It's no small trend though many under 30 may be totally alienated from it mistakenly shoving into a guitar shredder realm not known in the general music buying public.

The Facebook Ibanez UK site seems to have quite a few 2013 things as the UK seems to be ahead of the curve and stuff is in stores now.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Talk about djent and Animals as Leaders, that type of sound, even in six strings, will be featured a lot in quite a few guitar companies including Ibanez if they are smart. It's no small trend though many under 30 may be totally alienated from it mistakenly shoving into a guitar shredder realm not known in the general music buying public.
I have zero interest in djent and don't really care for it, but my assumption was that it's almost purely music for people under 30? I've always assumed slightly older guys like me would be more into more classic metal and shred and would be alienated by djent.

It will take me my whole life and probably more to even approach the level of playing of someone like a George Lynch, so I have no need to branch out into new music
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The whole super drop tuned, scooped mids, current metal sound is completely not my thing, but I have often wondered why the manufacturers who cater more to this genre seem to never mix it up from EMG? It seems like there's a million guitars out there designed to produce exactly the same sound.
Scooped mids is definitely not a current metal trend at all. Its literally the exact opposite. The trendiest subgenre in metal lately has been djent and all that is...is loads of compression and a huge upper mid spike. Even most death metal bands now use loads of mids. When I saw Origin live they had the mids maxed out on their amps, hell suffocation's newest records have loads of gobs of mids as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I have zero interest in djent and don't really care for it, but my assumption was that it's almost purely music for people under 30? I've always assumed slightly older guys like me would be more into more classic metal and shred and would be alienated by djent.

It will take me my whole life and probably more to even approach the level of playing of someone like a George Lynch, so I have no need to branch out into new music
I make skateboards and by association I noticed a lot of the music kids were listening to, and besides the pop-ish punk like Papa Roach, there was a lot of a type of progressive metal, but different than anything heard before. It's certainly not Rush or anything like that.

It's very complex but there's nothing like getting a good flow in a skatepark or favorite street listening to that stuff. A lot of skating isn't just technique but getting the guts to try stuff and getting in that right mood. Something about heavy music with downtuned guitars, and especially complex heavy music, lends well to the young skater crowd. I wouldn't recommend listening to djent and just hopping on a 7.6 deck with 101 durometer 51s and letting it take you over.

^^^^About the mids thing, those mids are right in your face and aggressive, and probably why so many skaters like it. You can get the nerve to try your first heel flip, but instead of getting so aggro you throw your board around like an idiot and scream, take that inside and groove with the music. The best skaters I see are actually quiet and often live inside their riding and heavy music and those two are usually one entity. It's kind of hard to explain on a guitar forum, but in your face mids fits flatland technical skating.

If Ibanez isn't the official musical instrument sponsor of the Dew Tour, they should be.

Djent and techie (small footwork, very little use of hands/grabbing) skating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfbsfE3cljA

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Scooped mids is definitely not a current metal trend at all. Its literally the exact opposite. The trendiest subgenre in metal lately has been djent and all that is...is loads of compression and a huge upper mid spike. Even most death metal bands now use loads of mids. When I saw Origin live they had the mids maxed out on their amps, hell suffocation's newest records have loads of gobs of mids as well.
This is an indication of exactly how much I care/know about these genres of music

I know we went away from the Premium thing, but I just happened upon this yesterday while looking for something else:

http://youtu.be/LOx_uxq7i3g
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

Here's a simple djent explanation, and exactly why I think the 7 and 8 string instruments (yea Ibanez) are perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5A5aK33QR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZxKdNJsBMY
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
(a)

LOL! Strangely enough that's exactly what I just watched half an hour ago to figure it out! I knew kind of what it was. The whole "djent" sound is pretty self explanatory.

Show/Hide Posting Rules