<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Re: IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Looks like they don't have everything up. No UV70 or the JS2410.

Are the RG1550 and RG1570 dead?
yep i noticed too... i guess they are waiting until namm. It will either be a press release or they aren't ready yet and will take pre-orders once they actually get released.

i dont know, either way i am sure we will see them soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Vendor

What I'm sure is the bungling idiots in GC/MF IT are getting their bottoms spanked and none of that will be up long. If they are I've already told them I'm putting up all my pages ;/
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres_x View Post
I've never tried one either...hope someone chimes in...but I'm more surprised with the switch from basswood to alder since RGs have always been basswood (in general).
Digging up old history but I wanted to give some insight on the SynchronZR.

I've found both the V7/V8 pup version and the True Duo pup version at a local store and got to try them out.

The reason they got rid of the locking nut seems to be so that the string vibration qualities are different than the standard Tremolo w/locking nuts. Also, it seems that they designed it this way so that when you switch the Hums to single mode, to give the pups a Stratocaster-like sound. I had been wondering about this so I talked to a guy that works at one of the older guitar shops here in Nagoya about it today and this is how he described it to me.

The True Duo pups actually sound really good, especially in single coil mode, but the V7/V8s didn't sound as nice. Considering the price point on both (ignore the retail price, you can get the V7/V8 pup version for about 100,000 yen, the TD pup version for about 140,000/150,000).
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The line in Japan is pretty huge, but that's their own turf and I'm sure they lead the market there.
The line is huge, but here in Nagoya (the home of Hoshino) I NEVER see anyone pick up an ibanez to play at guitar shops (besides me, the foreigner that walks into every guitar shop just to pick up different Ibanez to try them out lol). Everyone buys fender or gibson because even at licensed dealers, there is maybe 2 or 3 Ibanez axes and thats it. The only place that's different is Shimamura, where you you have Shimamura-Only Ibanez RGs (SRG line, the price is in between standard RGs and premis, better pups than Premis and different colors, but still standard RGs).

Dangit I need 10 posts to post links. I wanted to show you what the SRG line looks like.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 21

Ah, the Internets!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What I'm sure is the bungling idiots in GC/MF IT are getting their bottoms spanked and none of that will be up long. If they are I've already told them I'm putting up all my pages ;/
Just do it to make a point, go ahead and put them up..... LOL

I bet next year things will be done a little differently... or these leaks will be the new norm. Although, it is not really a bad thing, as it really has quite a few people wound up and there are discussions going on in many of the forums I frequent that are non-Ibanez type places.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Vendor

I was told Bill didn't even want the NSN [New Stuff at NAMM] catalogs to go out to keep the leaks down, and I expect he was extremely peeved to see these evil empire morons jump the gun like this. Ed already told me if they weren't down by this morning I could put them up, and I just finished them all
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The line is huge, but here in Nagoya (the home of Hoshino) I NEVER see anyone pick up an ibanez to play at guitar shops (besides me, the foreigner that walks into every guitar shop just to pick up different Ibanez to try them out lol). Everyone buys fender or gibson because even at licensed dealers, there is maybe 2 or 3 Ibanez axes and thats it. The only place that's different is Shimamura, where you you have Shimamura-Only Ibanez RGs (SRG line, the price is in between standard RGs and premis, better pups than Premis and different colors, but still standard RGs).

Dangit I need 10 posts to post links. I wanted to show you what the SRG line looks like.
I lived in Japan for 2 years back in '98 and noticed that as well. Even when I went to big guitar stores in Tokyo, they were always filled with Fender and Gibson guitars. That's also what I always saw Japanese guitar players playing at shows, clubs, etc. In general, "American stuff" was very coveted over there.

Interesting how that works.

Unfortunately, I never picked up a Japan-only Ibby while I was there because I was pretty poor at the time, heh. That, and I just never saw Ibanez guitars much.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 21

F-ing A Bain Capital, man!

The pharoahs, Rich! The pharoahs!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM

The 1550 and 1570 don't appear to be on Ibanez's website now. I'm going to be one unhappy camper if all of their high end RGs and Prestiges (non-sig) are fitted with Edge Zeros, that's a bridge I'm afraid to sink money into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I was told Bill didn't even want the NSN [New Stuff at NAMM] catalogs to go out to keep the leaks down, and I expect he was extremely peeved to see these evil empire morons jump the gun like this. Ed already told me if they weren't down by this morning I could put them up, and I just finished them all
I hope they keep theirs up then .
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I lived in Japan for 2 years back in '98 and noticed that as well. Even when I went to big guitar stores in Tokyo, they were always filled with Fender and Gibson guitars. That's also what I always saw Japanese guitar players playing at shows, clubs, etc. In general, "American stuff" was very coveted over there.

Interesting how that works.

Unfortunately, I never picked up a Japan-only Ibby while I was there because I was pretty poor at the time, heh. That, and I just never saw Ibanez guitars much.
One of the things I heard about Ibby's over here is that most people think "heavy metal" when they see one. Funny because Steve Vai and Satch arent metal, and neither is Andy Timmons.

The guy at the place I got my RG1550M (its a USA model that Hoshino had extra stock of and sold it as outlet, it was never released in Japan, although the color scheme Phantom Blue was here the previous year), said that alot of girls buy Ibbys because the neck is thin so it's easier for them to play. I was pretty happy when I heard that

I really wanna pick up a Japan only Ibby, thinking about one of those new Prestiges with the SynchroniZR bridge and the switch from Humbucker to single. The True Duo pups were incredible.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDTetc View Post

I hope they keep theirs up then .
They did, so I did

But, I'm only going as far as they did. They don't have a single spec up on anything that isn't just a new color, so I'm not loading the actual spec pages until I'm supposed to, or GC/MF continue to fill out theirs.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Finally, I can post links.

Here are the links to the SRGs for this year:

http://store.shimamura.co.jp/shop/g/g4515110820609/

http://store.shimamura.co.jp/shop/g/g4515110821231/

http://store.shimamura.co.jp/shop/g/g4515110821248/

http://store.shimamura.co.jp/shop/g/g4515110821217/

http://store.shimamura.co.jp/shop/g/g4515110821224/
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Then you need to get to Tokyo and find an Ikebe or Ishibashi (especially Ikebe). The ones I've been in have a huge Ibanez selection, and not just the low end stuff. Plenty of JC's and Prestiges. But yeah, Fender and Gibson seem to dominate.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
One of the things I heard about Ibby's over here is that most people think "heavy metal" when they see one. Funny because Steve Vai and Satch arent metal, and neither is Andy Timmons.
Just like, pre-Nirvana, those odd shaped but beautiful Fender Jazzmasters and Jaguars were most associated with surf music. The Seattle scene opened up those two models to a whole different genre.

But I don't think you can usually think of Ibanez (hey, I own an Artcore) without thinking of heavy metal and at least shredding whether it be metal or something more sophisticated but hard music nonetheless.

Vai had a stint with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake so at least pop metal was a moniker he may have received at the time. Also Satriani has played with so many from Mick Jagger to Greg Kihn Band, but high caliber shredding is his calling card. It also helps associate Satch with metal with the Edge trem, and students Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, and Alex Skolnick (of Testament).

There's nothing wrong with more ignorant people who only think metal (and '80s metal particularly) when the Ibanez brand shows up and they will tag it the same way with metal that they would with Marshall and ESP, but we all know better. The Ron Wood ESP is among my favorites as well as their X-tone line. Marshall combo amps, lower wattage, can be used for many non-metal applications though most people think of those Marshall stacks, black leather, high volume venues, and heavy metal.

Since Hendrix and the debut of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I don't think there was a more influential player that shaped the sound and direction of metal more than Satch and his Surfing with the Alien record. It was the first time for many that we all heard somebody surpass Eddie Van Halen and incorporate such musicality to a high volume set of tracks. Yeah, there was the great stuff Vai did with David Lee Roth and there was also Yngwie Malmsteen but Satch took it to another level and it easily explained why several of his students excelled in metal.

I remember walking by the local music store in my retirement town and the record store worker ran out and brought me in. He knew I was into Hendrix, Page, and Eddie Van Halen. He said, "Do you want to hear somebody better than Eddie?" From the first track I was mesmerized and all the guitar players I knew could talk about nothing else. It was a shredder's A-bomb.

http://www.deep-purple.net/magazines...ani-page1.html

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-18-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Show/Hide Posting Rules