<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
(a)

Re: IBANEZ 2013 (who has the inside scoop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think it's just the way they've always done things. Ibanez may be worth millions, but it's not like Toyota, worth billions, and would have a reason to protect their new hybrid technology or reasearch. We're talking about guitars, simple guitars, nothing cutting edge, and the only reason they would need protecting is to keep those that would spoil their plans from doing so.

Then lets look at Japanese culture. It's a very polite culture, and a completely different world than western culture. That may affect their philosophy about internet security. But if you get down to the bottom line, Ibanez was very slow to react to the internet to begin with. We used to have very long discussions about it many years ago. No doubt they're very slow to react to internet threats, piracy of intellectual material, and everything else that can happen that they're not anticipating.

I'm not saying I know this is the case, and it could absolutely be some dumb mistake. But I don't think it was anything other than business as usual, and this time it hurt them, just as wiki-leaks has been hurting them for years. If anything hopefully they learn how to protect what they consider important enough to, but I don't think it's one of their top priorities, like surviving the Euro recession or the exchange rates that are killing US business. They have plenty of fish to fry and I'm sure they have a priority list for the kitchen.
My first job out of college was working for a Japanese ball and roller bearing company. Definitely a VERY different experience culturally than working for a US firm. We were US engineering, but most of the engineering and production was in Japan, so we had somewhat limited information available to us.

If we needed some info we didn't have, we had to go to one of the "staff engineers" in our office. We would tell them what we wanted and they would translate it and fill out the "fax Japan form". They would fax this at the end of the day and we would have a response the next morning when we came in.

The biggest problem was that Japanese people are extremely literal. They don't seem to infer things, they just answer your question literally. Well by the time our questions had been translated and sent, we'd often get back incomplete answers because we hadn't been specific enough, or the person hadn't translated the intent of our question correctly. Because of the time change, that meant that it was going to be the next morning before we'd have another answer. This could drag on for days.

Looking back, it was a pretty hilarious experience
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Awesome. Joe sent me some Railhammers at the start of the year to review. They are very cool pickups. I'd love to review a Reverend super-strat type guitar with Railhammers in them. I bet it'll be killer!
I'd be into that. I'll share some pics of the new stuff as it comes in.. You won't see floyds or 24 frets however.. so .. Superstrat isn't a really apt description. I said "moving towards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica View Post
I wish they would offer more colors for the JEM70V. Like that ice blue color with maple fretboard that Vai has in some pictures. That one looks pretty sweet.
Agreed. I like that one.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaas View Post
I'd be into that. I'll share some pics of the new stuff as it comes in.. You won't see floyds or 24 frets however.. so .. Superstrat isn't a really apt description. I said "moving towards..
Awesome thanks, sounds great. 22 Frets and no Floyd is still good by me.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:30 AM

Still waiting for a 540PII Reissiue......

And more variations in tonewood for the rg series.......
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Awesome thanks, sounds great. 22 Frets and no Floyd is still good by me.
I agree. I've always felt that 24 frets are a bit unnecessary. I've always felt that the best guitar I've ever had for upper fret access is the Voyager and it's a 22 fret guitar. Here's a good shot of the treble side on my old RBM1 that I sadly no longer have.

Here's a shot of the back of my 2, which shows the heel. It's much more sculpted that what you get on an RG. I'm not even positive that the screw locations are the same.

A J.Custom heel is almost as good, but I still think the Voyager did it best.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM

The voyager rules!

In everyting imo,(woods used,hardware,model,size,finish)
The only (small) minus are the emg's.

Unbeatable axe!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I agree. I've always felt that 24 frets are a bit unnecessary.
Disagree!

I feel like I'm missing something if I'm playing a 22 fret gtuiar.

It's one of those things that I don't use that often but when I need it, it's there!

Of course, I've seen some 24 fret guitars that didn't have the best fret access so they might as well have been 22 frets.

And I've seen some 24 fret guitars where the fret access is so awesome it still feels like you're on the 19th fret of a normal guitar even when you're on the 24th fret, like where the neck stays thin up until about 21st fret on some neck throughs, like this one:

Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 9

That rosewood neck is sweet!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM

It's not possible to have a bolt-on neck with that much fret access, is it?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Reviews: 21

I don't mind 22 frets until I'm up at the 15th fret or so. Even if I don't use them, feel-wise I get a sense of disconnect of where I am on the neck; even if I'm not looking down at the fretboard. I can deal with 22 frets but I have to mentally remind myself when playing that I'm playing a 22 fret guitar - if that makes any sense.
The same goes for seven strings. I mentally ignore the top string until I need it. If I daydream I might get lost.
I guess this comes from playing RGs forever.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
The voyager rules!

In everyting imo,(woods used,hardware,model,size,finish)
The only (small) minus are the emg's.

Unbeatable axe!
The HB1 bridge pickup in the RBM1 is surprisingly excellent.

The thing that kills it for me on neck-thru guitars is the finish on the back of the neck. I find it kind of sticky and distracting.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The thing that kills it for me on neck-thru guitars is the finish on the back of the neck. I find it kind of sticky and distracting.
Agreed. I don't like that 99% of the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM

As soon as I get a guitar in my possession, I immediately sand the back of the neck to bare wood. There's no better feel. Then again you can't be anal about dirt and sweat. That builds character and tone in my opinion.

As far as new guitars, of love to see something like the old 3120's with a legit maple cap and maple board. The new red premium with maple board looks sick, but I'm not sold on the trem. I'd also like to see a 550 in LNG with a maple board too. Sigh...if only.

Rich I know I spoke to you about Premiums a while back, have you noticed any difference in the newer ones ( as opposed to the initial run)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Agreed. I don't like that 99% of the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM
(a)
Vendor

Since I just checked in a 920 it might as well serve as an example of current build.

String alignment actually good, nicer than average piece of rosewood, decent veneer top, headstock a little weak, the aanj holes better than previous, much cleaner and crisp, typical cosmetics, patch of light scratches lower front that weren't polished out enough, "dirty" line to the edge of the veneer, the trem baseplate wiped with something too rough that put light scratches in the cosmo. Run on sentence?

The frets done by one of the Indo's, he's gotten pretty good and even, light on the tool marks, the edge rounding not as round as the best, but for whatever reason this one never got a fret polishing. You can see the ends are very consistent round but rough and not smooth [much less polished], and perpendicular crowning scratching on the frets.

Technical, nut radius very good, bridge radius always too flat, and sometimes erratic [this one flat but smooth], nuts cut low enough they don't need work.

You guys always want to know about setup so, too high of course [2.5ish], neck perfectly straight [too straight], trem block not against the zps bar, way out of tune flat which may actually bring the block to the bar, so pretty typical. I don't have to correct the typical pocket alignment but i have to do a fret polish instead

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/new/rg920qm/rdt/10
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 AM

I haven't been on here in years and honestly I probably won't come back and see any responses to this. I just happened upon it in a google search.

Rich. Dude, seriously. You are so ridiculous. I love Ibanez as much as the next person, but that doesn't excuse your complete lack of understanding when it comes to the internet.

When something is posted on the internet in any folder, in any space, basically ANYWHERE that I can type in a url and see it, it is public domain. It's not on a private, secured folder. If it was and I typed it in, I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SEE IT. What you seem to think hacking is is akin to when I leave my facebook logged in and my wife posts something under my name.

You're ignorant. Plain and simple. I don't give a crap what they posted, if all it took was searching a known domain for urls. If Ibanez, or anyone, posted something to a publicly searchable domain, it is public property. If they then say, "Oops, did not mean to do that, do not repost these", and you still post them, it's wrong.

Hopefully Ibanez has taken better precautions this year and put them in private domains or offline servers.

Say whatever you want in response. I don't care, you're wrong. You'll always be wrong in this matter if that's what you think hacking is. It's basic internet understanding.

Also, you're wrong. And kind of a dick.

Show/Hide Posting Rules