Ibanez 540r - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 540r

I was at a local GC today and they had a used JS1200. It was from 05 and had the Edge Pro trem on it. Great playing guitar and I fell in loved with it. They had a Jem there as well which is top dog in my book but I loved the feel and tone of the 1200. The only drawback to it is the price. Which got me thinking about the Ibanez 540r. I know Joe used these as a template for his signature.

I'm just wondering if these are still widely available? What is the price range for these and from my understanding there were several different models of these?

Not looking to purchase anything yet as I'm trying to get my own place and I'm looking at the Legacy 3 amp as well.

Thanks for all your help guys!

P.S

How much different are the necks on these two guitars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Ibanez 540r

I snagged a black Pro540Power for about $400.00 not long ago--near mint condition, too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Check out GC used. Do a search on Ibanez and leave all other filters blank. Dont put your home town in either. It will pull every used Ibby everywhere. Do this with CL and all your other music stores that has a website. Also check the bay and go around to your local pawnshops.....

Ive snagged some unbelievable deals doing this. Its hours of research (and fun) but you would be surprised at the going rates for some top notch used MIJ fiddles.....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
Check out GC used. Do a search on Ibanez and leave all other filters blank. Dont put your home town in either. It will pull every used Ibby everywhere. Do this with CL and all your other music stores that has a website. Also check the bay and go around to your local pawnshops.....

Ive snagged some unbelievable deals doing this. Its hours of research (and fun) but you would be surprised at the going rates for some top notch used MIJ fiddles.....
You can use http://www.adhuntr.com/ to search CL without a location (formerly allofcraigs.com).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the search tips. I attempted to use adhuntr but the links that it came up with were experienced or deleted.

I still would like to know about the necks? Is there much of a difference between the JS and 540r?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Generally speaking, the JS is much more refined and evolved from the original Radius series. When the 540R came out, they were revolutionary by the 80's standards. Many people (including myself) still think that they are the most comfortable guitar. But the weakness is with the neck.

JS has a thicker neck (currently JS prestige neck) with non-tilting headstock. 540R has the Ultra neck with tilted headstock which is too thin IMHO. I like everything about my 88' 540R except the neck thickness especially near the headstock. The ultra neck is fast but given that it is a 20-plus-year-old neck with no reinforcement you have to be careful when looking for a used 540R. I am still struggling with truss rod adjustment on my 540R.

JS pickups are H-H (most with coil split feature) but 540R are mostly S-S-H. If you want the Satriani sound go with a JS. The stock Dimarzio IBZ/USA on 540R are good pickups but they don't sound as "full-bodied" as the JS tone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks David,

I'm not really looking for that JS sound. It's weird... I like the sound of a Jem better than the JS but I love the feel of the JS.

Tags
540r , ibanez , js1200 , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode