<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Question

Ibanez Factory Pickup Output Ratings?

Hi Folks,

I have searched high and low for these specs but have been unable to find them. I was wondering what the specific output levels for the following Ibanez pickups are:

Powersound
Infinity Series (1 to 4)
Vintage Series (V7, V8, S1)
IBZ/USA
IBZ/Dimarzio (what are these supposed to be modeled after anyways?)

There are plenty of adjectives floating around for them (Ibanez website, forums, etc), but that does not do me any good. Since I am a 'numbers' kind of guy, I am just kind of curious to see how their respective output ratings stack-up against the Dimarzios (which we all know that they disclose their own output ratings on their website). And yes, I already know that they are for the most part, weaker.

Does anyone have the actual numbers?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Re: Ibanez Factory Pickup Output Ratings?

I don't know about actual numbers, but the Infinity pickups must be insanely hot pickups because my RG321MH is louder than my RG370DX with EMGs. Of course at volume, the Infinity pickups have a very abrasive sound quality to them that doesn't cut through the mix very well so I will be swapping them out for Dimarzios as soon as I get some extra cash.

But if I had to guess, I would put the bridge pickup somewhere around 500 and the neck pickup somewhere around 350-400 but it's really hard to get specific because the bridge pickup is VERY trebly and the neck pickup isn't far away from it so it could just be that the pickups are EQed in such a way that they SEEM really loud because they focus on the frequencies that we can hear most easily from a guitar (high treble, mid to high mids, low bass).
Old 03-28-2006, 08:19 PM

I wonder if that's something you can figure out with a multimeter.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:04 AM

A while ago I measured the DC resistance of the V8 and the V7. I don't remember the exact values, but I remember them being something like a Super Distortion and a Super 2 (maybe 15 kOhm and 9 kOhm or so). As for what they sound like, I'm probably not the best judge of that. The neck pickup is pretty trebly, though. By the way, according to the Ibanez catalog the V8 has an Alnico magnet, and the V7 has a ceramic magnet.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:47 PM

for what it's worth, i have several rt450s, which have v8s & v7s. i decided to replace the humbuckers in one of them to a fred in the bridge & a paf pro in the neck. while this combo sounds fantastic in the js1000 & js6s that i own, it doesn't quite sound as good as the stock v8 & v7. output-wise, the v8 a tad bit louder than the fred and the v7 was about the same as the paf pro.

i know the stock pickups get a lot of flack, but honestly, i dig the v8/v7 combo, especially in alder and mahogony (well, at least in the rga121) guitars. they are well balanced, medium output with decent clarity. but then again, i'm not a metal player and i like letting my amp do the work as far as overdrive.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 1

I just got a 470 with INF 2 in the bridge and INF 1 in neck (INF 1S in middle), and I didn't know if I would even want to play it before changing the pickups (I also have a 565 with an EMG 81 and S), but they actually sound pretty decent, and the output doesn't appear to be too drastically different from the EMGs IMO.

(I'm still getting new pickups though!)
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild
for what it's worth, i have several rt450s, which have v8s & v7s. i decided to replace the humbuckers in one of them to a fred in the bridge & a paf pro in the neck. while this combo sounds fantastic in the js1000 & js6s that i own, it doesn't quite sound as good as the stock v8 & v7. output-wise, the v8 a tad bit louder than the fred and the v7 was about the same as the paf pro.

i know the stock pickups get a lot of flack, but honestly, i dig the v8/v7 combo, especially in alder and mahogony (well, at least in the rga121) guitars. they are well balanced, medium output with decent clarity. but then again, i'm not a metal player and i like letting my amp do the work as far as overdrive.
Thanks for posting that. I've got a RT 450 I've been putting together for my son's birthday (next week) and went back to original V7/V8 pickups so I could wire it as the original diagram went with the push/pull tone, etc. I did however get a S1 mid instead of a S2 and I'm wondering if it will sound better/worse/the same as I'm no guitar player.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I don't know about actual numbers, but the Infinity pickups must be insanely hot pickups because my RG321MH is louder than my RG370DX with EMGs. Of course at volume, the Infinity pickups have a very abrasive sound quality to them that doesn't cut through the mix very well so I will be swapping them out for Dimarzios as soon as I get some extra cash.

But if I had to guess, I would put the bridge pickup somewhere around 500 and the neck pickup somewhere around 350-400 but it's really hard to get specific because the bridge pickup is VERY trebly and the neck pickup isn't far away from it so it could just be that the pickups are EQed in such a way that they SEEM really loud because they focus on the frequencies that we can hear most easily from a guitar (high treble, mid to high mids, low bass).
You must have gotten some ringer pick-ups (exceeding factory tolerances) on that RG321 then, because the Dimarzio site shows quite lower output levels for their "high-output" pick-ups:

Super Distortion, Dual Sound, Super 2: 425
Evo Bridge: 404
X2N: 510 (Holy $%&!)
D-Sonic: 390
Tone Zone: 375
Steve's Special: 390
Breed Bridge: 356

Based on that, I assumed that the range for the Infinity series would be about 100 - 200. I would hate to see what the actual rating for the Powersound pickup is; about 47? - LOL.

I guess that the true numbers will be locked away with the Caramilk secret, only to be lost in the sands of time.

Tags
breed bridge, bridge pickup, dual sound, evo bridge, ibanez catalog, ibanez pickups, neck pickup, paf pro, pull tone, super distortion, tone zone

Show/Hide Posting Rules