<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Ibanez JPM Specs

Greetings, all!

I'm new to the forum here and to Ibanez in general, as I just bought an early RG550. Very cool and I'm looking forward to further exploring the Ibanez line.

Right now I'm very interested in JEMs and the JPM models. However, I'm having trouble finding information on the JPMs. From what I've gathered, there are four different models, with each number designating a different color scheme. But are there any other differences? And why is it that there is a "100" sometimes attached to the model number?

Perhaps someone can straighten me out or direct me to an informative resource online detailing all the finer nuances of the JPM series.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Re: Ibanez JPM Specs

The JPM100 is the first model series, which is why you'll see the 100 from time to time. Also there is the "P" followed by a number. Mine is a JPM100-P1.

Specs-wise, the 100's are very similar to other RG type guitars of the era. Lo-Pro tremolo, pretty flat radius (like 16" or 17"), and the neck profile is pretty unusual feeling (but it is great). Similar to the Jem in that it is thicker than a Prestige Wizard, but it is a different shape than the Jem's neck. I think (but don't quote me) it was based on, or was called the "Viper" neck profile... but I don't think that it's made anymore.

You can find these for sale from time to time, and I am sure Rich from Ibanez Rules can help you eventually track one down if he doesn't have one for sale already. They are more rare than most Sig Ibanez's since they weren't in production for very long.

I really like mine, but I have noticed that harmonically it is lacking compared to some of my other guitars (Ibanez's included). I got it second hand and I am sure that was one of the reasons the previous owner decided to sell it (especially since it was in such great condition... it practically looks brand new!).

Tonally it is just a bit sterile (even when I tried different pups). This is just my guitar, however, and cannot be considered indicative of the whole line. It doesn't sound terrible at all, but compared to my Jem or my Wolfgang (just to name a couple) it just comes up a bit short in sustain and overall tone.

RR
Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 PM

The neck profile is indeed called "Viper". The RT series also has that neck too.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Reviews: 4

Sterile?... Any further opinions?

I was into getting a JPM, but now...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Eh, Ive always supported the need for simplicity, but I think the JPM series is a little too "simple" for my tastes. I never really liked the look of them....
Old 02-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Great, thanks! So then the only difference among models is the paint scheme and not anything else?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Guitar View Post
Sterile?... Any further opinions?

I was into getting a JPM, but now...
You can't just go by what people say! try one out and see for yourself!!
I have JPM100,200 and 300 and they are the best sounding/playing guitars IMHO for my taste and style. I have several solid state amps as well as tube amps and the guitars sound incredibly good and the sustain sings like a bird.
So I think this guy's problem might be his rig or the fact he changed the original pups I don't know but what he describes just doesn't make sense...

My 2 cents
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM

I think it is just MY guitar. The wood is the problem in the this guitar, I believe.

Again, my particular guitar is not indicative of the whole line.

RR
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
So I think this guy's problem might be his rig or the fact he changed the original pups I don't know but what he describes just doesn't make sense...

My 2 cents
Olie, not every guitar in the same lineup is the exactly the same...Just because your JPMs sound great doesn't necessarily mean his JPM sounds great.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Olie, not every guitar in the same lineup is the exactly the same...Just because your JPMs sound great doesn't necessarily mean his JPM sounds great.
I never implied that in my post Wade Anyone who knows a thing or two about guitars would tell you that not all guitars whether they are from the same line up or not have the same mojo or tonal qualities otherwise Vai wouldn't love EVO so much; Nevertheless, all JPM were built with the same components in the same factory to strict quality standards so in theory they should all play and sound the same. It is possible that there could be a few bad apples out there but the symptoms that RR described may have to do more with his playing, his rig, the guitar's set up or the fact he has modded the guitar and NOT WITH THE WOOD?!? in addition don't forget that what sounds great to one guy may not be as great for the next, it's all subjective.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM

Reviews: 4

I recall having tried a JPM once.
I loved the feeling of it, but I was testing it through a POD and headphones... (and I don't like PODs).
Tone-wise, I didn't find it that amazing!

So... my opinion is somewhat biased.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
It is possible that there could be a few bad apples out there but the symptoms that RR described may have to do more with his playing, his rig, the guitar's set up or the fact he has modded the guitar and NOT WITH THE WOOD?!? in addition don't forget that what sounds great to one guy may not be as great for the next, it's all subjective.
Thanks Olie. I see you're making friends again, as usual.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with my playing or my rig. You're not the only one here with a good collection of guitars and equipment.

The guitar sounds fine for the most part, but it does lack some sustain and is literally missing pinch harmonics in certain areas of the neck that I can easily get with my Jem, R9, R7, Tyler, etc. When a guitar is unable to produce harmonics consistently over the the entire scale I'd call that a problem with the wood. Don't need to be plugged in to test that, either. I have a new RG1570 (Mirage Red one) and it is even worse... totally dead sounding. I am using it for spare parts now.

What I can't understand is that someone like you (that obviously knows everything) can't fathom the possibility that one JPM guitar could be less resonant and/or less toneful than any of the examples you personally have. It IS plausible, isn't it? Despite the unlikelihood that Ibanez would ever make a mistake in OlieWorld? I, too, love Ibanez but I am also reasonable in my estimation of the company (or any company for that matter). Mistakes happen.

RR
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea View Post
Thanks Olie. I see you're making friends again, as usual.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with my playing or my rig. You're not the only one here with a good collection of guitars and equipment.

The guitar sounds fine for the most part, but it does lack some sustain and is literally missing pinch harmonics in certain areas of the neck that I can easily get with my Jem, R9, R7, Tyler, etc. When a guitar is unable to produce harmonics consistently over the the entire scale I'd call that a problem with the wood. Don't need to be plugged in to test that, either. I have a new RG1570 (Mirage Red one) and it is even worse... totally dead sounding. I am using it for spare parts now.

What I can't understand is that someone like you (that obviously knows everything) can't fathom the possibility that one JPM guitar could be less resonant and/or less toneful than any of the examples you personally have. It IS plausible, isn't it? Despite the unlikelihood that Ibanez would ever make a mistake in OlieWorld? I, too, love Ibanez but I am also reasonable in my estimation of the company (or any company for that matter). Mistakes happen.

RR
Honestly I don't see where I'm attacking you for you to say I'm not out to make friends or whatever so back off and take a chill pill it's all good discussion and I'm entitled to dissent with your opinion and rebut it if need be.
If that offends you, I'm sorry, but I think you're being overly sensitive.
Firstly I'm no Ibanez fanboy so get that out of your system, any company can put a defective product out there regardless of their reputation, it happens no matter how strict the quality control! having said that the problems you describe are not indicative of a "Defect in worksmanship or manufacturing" (I'd love to see what the guys from HUSA would say if you called them for warranty service on this issue ) and to blame it on the wood is a bit silly, my JPMs were made from the same wood and I do not have problems with harmonics or sustain (It's true however, that sustain can be different from one guitar to the next) Now I suggested that there may be a possibility that your rig, your playing, the guitar's set up (Action, intonation, frets leveled etc...) could be the problem, so why is that so difficult to fathom??? If you can't get Pinch harmonics it can be a technique issue, also, remember that different guitar will have different sweet spots for the harmonics because of the scale lenght, you changed the pups too, it is possible they are not wired correctly in which case you will get poor output, or maybe the pups you put in do not work the best with basswood or perhaps you need to tweak your amp when playing the JPM, I don't know it could be a number of things which I don't think have anything to do with the quality of the guitar.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM

i have played 2 jpm's. a p3 and p4. whereas they aren't my favorite ibanez, they were great playing axes. i am not a fan of the steve's special, nor am i a fan of basswood, but the jpm is a great guitar. the ultra/viper neck that the jpm has is pretty comfy. a bit chunky for some, but that's on the individual. as far as owning one, i don't. almost did, my buddy backed out of the p3 deal(still looking for a p1).
for the issue with duds, ibanez usually has great QC, but when it reaches the hands of the consumer, they have the authority. this goes for shops, too. not to mention that each player has different ears and needs for each guitar. maybe the guys who didn't like it, well, were just looking for something else in that guitar. for JP at that time, it suited his needs.

rich
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Honestly I don't see where I'm attacking you for you to say I'm not out to make friends or whatever so back off and take a chill pill it's all good discussion and I'm entitled to dissent with your opinion and rebut it if need be.
If that offends you, I'm sorry, but I think you're being overly sensitive.
Firstly I'm no Ibanez fanboy so get that out of your system, any company can put a defective product out there regardless of their reputation, it happens no matter how strict the quality control! having said that the problems you describe are not indicative of a "Defect in worksmanship or manufacturing" (I'd love to see what the guys from HUSA would say if you called them for warranty service on this issue ) and to blame it on the wood is a bit silly, my JPMs were made from the same wood and I do not have problems with harmonics or sustain (It's true however, that sustain can be different from one guitar to the next) Now I suggested that there may be a possibility that your rig, your playing, the guitar's set up (Action, intonation, frets leveled etc...) could be the problem, so why is that so difficult to fathom??? If you can't get Pinch harmonics it can be a technique issue, also, remember that different guitar will have different sweet spots for the harmonics because of the scale lenght, you changed the pups too, it is possible they are not wired correctly in which case you will get poor output, or maybe the pups you put in do not work the best with basswood or perhaps you need to tweak your amp when playing the JPM, I don't know it could be a number of things which I don't think have anything to do with the quality of the guitar.

Nah, not being sensitive, I just don't like you. I've read many of your posts over the years and you always seem to be the contrarian and come off as a prick most of the time. I doubt I am the first person you've put off with your condescension. But I digress...

What pisses me off is not that fact that you can't possibly know my guitar since you've never played it, but rather you'd like to think that I am the problem and that it is unlikely the guitar has the issue. But therein lies the problem... you seem to know everything. You'd rather assume that I am inferior, even stupid, compared to your guitar knowledge, playing abilities and guitar collection. You're just a dick. Period.

The guitar is quite playable and I love it. I use it often and it is one of my favorite guitars. I simply notice that is has less sustain than some of my others and is missing or lacking clear pinch harmonics in certain ares of the neck. No one ever mentioned Defective Workmanship or the desire to have Ibanez CS step in to do anything. I'll repeat, the pinch harmonics the guitar is missing cannot be heard even with the guitar UNPLUGGED from any amp, thus bypassing electronics, amplifiers and effects. As you must certainly know, picking and strumming around on an electric unplugged is a good way to hear how resonant the instrument is (and before you make a smart-ass comment about it, YES you CAN hear artifical harmonics with an electric unplugged). I'm 35 and have been playing guitar since I was 15, so I can assure you that while I'm no Steve Vai or George Lynch I can pinch a friggin' artificial harmonic. Are you retarded?

All you had to say was that in your experience JPMs sound great... you didn't have accuse me of being the problem. If I had said the exact same thing (verbatim) to you it would have been WW III. You wouldn't have stood for it. I don't normally confront people online because it's pointless, and normally I ignore you especially as the troll you are most of the time in posts like these... but I have to admit today you really made me angry.

Would it placate you if I reiterated that I love my JPM and that it is one of my favorite guitars? That way you might not feel that someone was possibly attacking a guitar you have in your collection. Wouldn't want your fragile ego to get bruised again.

RR

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Ibanez JPM P2 John Petrucci Model in Good Condition teof Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 07-10-2006 05:12 AM
IBANEZ JPM 100 P3 J.Petrucci SALE shreddyknight Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 03-07-2006 05:20 PM
Ibanez Paul Gilbert model specs, photos, and notes from Paul www.racerxband.com Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 14 05-03-2004 08:55 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29