<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Ibanez Premium vs Prestige necks

Hello! I played a few guitars at a local guitar store yesterday and I found one that I really liked, it was an Ibanez RG1570Z. It is probably the nicest playing guitar I've ever played, the neck was super comfortable and the pickups sounded great. But I can't afford one, at least not right now, it costs 1250$.

I know that their Premium line have a few similar designed guitars, like RG870z, rg870qmz and the rg920qm. My question is, how does necks on the premium guitars compare to the prestige? I played a few of the cheaper Ibanez's too and they did not feel anywhere near as good as the prestige.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Re: Ibanez Premium vs Prestige necks

Stay away from the Premium lineup. The Prestige have better trem, not a fan of the Edge Zero II of Premium. The neck on the Prestige feel much better. Not sure if it needed better fret dressing or just the back of neck is not as smooth.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Specs wyze, the only difference in the RG1570Z vs RG870Z is the radius. The rest of the dimenssion are the same, thinkness, width is the same.

Honesly, the major difference will be the craftman on those two necks.

From my experience, the thinkness of a neck is more of a factor than the radius, so I'd try the RG870Z if you don't mind the lesser Pikcup, bridge and craftmanship.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I agree with t1mman. I've played some VERY well executed and finished Premium necks. They've measured up to the best of my Prestige necks (RGT3120, RG2550 (2005), and my sons RG1527 ('0.

The EZII hasn't been out long enough to guarantee that it's as solid as it's more expensive brother (The Edge-Zero) but I haven't heard a single complaint in the 2 years that it has been around. I've played several. They are VERY stable when given a proper setup.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by gEARs7 View Post
Stay away from the Premium lineup. The Prestige have better trem, not a fan of the Edge Zero II of Premium. The neck on the Prestige feel much better. Not sure if it needed better fret dressing or just the back of neck is not as smooth.
Don't know where you got your info on the trem. EZ II should be as good as good to use as the EZ. Even Rich agrees that its a very good trem. Many have been happy with the necks on the Premiums too. Just because you don't like the profile doesn't make it a bad neck.

Sure the Premiums aren't quite as nice as the Prestige, but what do you expect? They cost less. Bang for buck they are right up there though.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Don't know where you got your info on the trem. EZ II should be as good as good to use as the EZ. Even Rich agrees that its a very good trem. Many have been happy with the necks on the Premiums too. Just because you don't like the profile doesn't make it a bad neck.

Sure the Premiums aren't quite as nice as the Prestige, but what do you expect? They cost less. Bang for buck they are right up there though.
Amen brother!!!!!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM

I own prestige, and premium.

I've had them for a year or so now. the premium neck is much better then trem models, not as sustain, and stable as prestige. but it's only a year old.

the prestige is 2008 so well broke in.

My main complaint on premium is, I can sometimes really see the metal coming off of the frets. the are cheap metal. this does not happen on my prestige, or my Talon. or any guitar I have ever owne for that matter only the premium 870z bad frets... now having buzz, and shows alot of wear. I do shred 10-20 hours a week across 3 guitars.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM

The difference is going to be in hardware and build. They'll probably both play great, the trems will probably be equally stable, but I imagine you'll start seeing issues sooner in the premium.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM

I have a bunch of Premiums and loads of Prestige.
I can't really say that I feel any consistent quality difference between them.
Premium are, sort of, a prestige guitar built in a country where labour is much cheaper than in Japan.

The tremolos on premium are, probably, gone wear out faster. But so far has it been perfect, stays in tune very well (actually better than any Ibanez trem without a zero system I have tried). The fine tuners are a bit tuff to turn sometimes, but hey, I am Rambo with fine tuners :-)

The pickups are a step down (and I changed mine) but I have done gigs and studio work with them and no one complained about my bad pickups.

I used a Premium RG for a 4 month playing job, gigs six days a week.
It was my main guitar together with a LACS FR and I can't say that one was behaving any better than the other. They both delivered every day with no problem at all.
Have not noticed that the frets wear out any faster than other frets.

I think they are the most bang for the buck Ibanez ever built.

But with all that said, I would still get a good prestige if I could afford it.
Just because it makes me feel good and that I somewhere deep down inside want to belive that it is better :-)

But I would change pickups in any prestige out there too.

/Magnus
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 PM

what about RG premium vs original wizard neck on RG (late 80s through 90s)? On paper difference 1/2 mm doesn't really matter but the craftsmanship in those days vs MIJ Prestige vs MII Premium. Lots of good quality and beautiful guitars comes out from Indonesia, I know a couple of factory where they make really great customs...lots of woods to choose from..any style you want, design, color, hardware...and cheap!

Show/Hide Posting Rules