Ibanez RG470 Resurrection - Lo-TRS to Floyd Rose Original Retrofit - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG470 Resurrection - Lo-TRS to Floyd Rose Original Retrofit

I just wanted to share my experience in resurrecting my Japanese RG470.

It's a detailed step by step retrofit of the Lo-TRS tremolo with pics. Seemed too big to post here so I have created a standalone web page.

Hope it is not a problem to just post a link to it :
http://www.hammer-software.com/audio...urrection.html

Please leave a comment if it's useful to you.

Starts like this:
This is the story of my Ibanez RG470. The guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant, Japan in 1997. I purchased the guitar the same year from a second-hand shop. It looked new, so I suppose some poor guy fell on hard times and had to sell it. I have treated the guitar well and looked after it, the paint is still in mint condition though it seems to have aged slightly. I played the guitar a lot around the house and live until around 2005. After 2005, because of tuning instability, I tended to leave it in its case.

Last edited by hammer; 03-23-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added Pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Re: Ibanez RG470 Resurrection - Lo-TRS to Floyd Rose Original Retrofit

Was very informative. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM

Interesting project hammer. Did you not have any fret issues? I wore out the frets on my RG470, although admittedly I have a heavy fret hand technique. But the tremolo held up well enough, didn't use the whammy bar too much though. I bought it new about 10 years ago. Recently traded it along with two other guitars toward my Jem 7V.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi jer3d, yeah the frets were a little worn so I leveled them with a file and polished with some very fine sandpaper. I made a fret-board protector out of cardboard and it worked great.

Wow! Those jumbo frets are pretty... jumbo, I can't see myself wearing them out. You must really work them over
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM

what do you think about the OFR versus the lo trs? did you notice any tonal difference ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I only played the guitar for a couple of days with the new pickups before changing the trem. The pickups had a dramatic effect on the tone but OFR change was hard to hear, but I don't have the best ears for tone

I must say I expected a more pronounced difference in tone with the OFR. I used an OFR in the eighties and I remember the tone being very bright. I think they changed the sustain block from steel to brass and that might explain the more subtle difference.

I would say there is improved sustain with the OFR though. Return to pitch stability is spot on, that's the real reason I changed to the OFR. It feels like I can trust the guitar like I could when I first got it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Hi jer3d, yeah the frets were a little worn so I leveled them with a file and polished with some very fine sandpaper. I made a fret-board protector out of cardboard and it worked great.

Wow! Those jumbo frets are pretty... jumbo, I can't see myself wearing them out. You must really work them over
Yeah the fret wear was bad, but it was from being the only guitar I played for many years. I began to miss it after I traded it, so I think you made the right decision in putting the work into resurrecting your RG470! ^ ^

Tags
floyd rose , lo-trs , rg470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode