<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Reviews: 13

I'm crazy/ Xiphos question?

Howdy,

I've been called crazy before, and this time is no different. I've been thinking of getting a new high-end guitar and have been looking around at Jackson USA, GMW, and Suhr guitars and have played some pretty cool stuff. However, when these guitars cost as much as they do ($2500 + range), I'm a little reluctant to buy one unless it's perfect. So while I was testing out Suhr's and such, I picked up a used, color changing Xiphos and quite dug how it felt and sounded. It was comparable in many ways to the Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (Maple NT, mahogany wings, Dimarzio's, lo pro trem), but at a fraction of the cost.

For the price it seems like a no brainer, especially on the used market. Are all of them pretty consistent in terms of quality? Are the necks consistently fretted well? Are there any Prestige/ Premium Xiphos guitars? Has anyone played that cool doubleneck Xiphos? Any good? I've heard that the Edge 3 isn't the best tremolo.can the trem be switched out for something better without routing the trem cavity? Is there a better dealer to pick one up, or is Ebay my best bet? Anyhow, I've got some more questions, but I'll start with these.

Thanks for the help. Peace~
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Re: I'm crazy/ Xiphos question?

They are solid workhorses but you get what you pay for,if you enjoyed it buy it and save the cash until you do find a high end guitar you truly want.

On no level can it be compared with the Broderick or Suhr's and if you don't notice the huge quality difference then you really don't need a high end guitar yet.

Unfortunately there are no upper level Xiphos for Ibanez, though i would hold off until you have seen the new models about to be released,its gonna be a good year for Ibanez with lots of cool lower/mid priced models!

Hell,even i intend to buy a couple of cheapies this year!

Hold out till after Namm IMO.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
They are solid workhorses but you get what you pay for,if you enjoyed it buy it and save the cash until you do find a high end guitar you truly want.

On no level can it be compared with the Broderick or Suhr's and if you don't notice the huge quality difference then you really don't need a high end guitar yet.

Unfortunately there are no upper level Xiphos for Ibanez, though i would hold off until you have seen the new models about to be released,its gonna be a good year for Ibanez with lots of cool lower/mid priced models!

Hell,even i intend to buy a couple of cheapies this year!

Hold out till after Namm IMO.
I can definitely feel the quality in the high end stuff. I've got a EBMM axis, Jackson PC1 and a few Charvel's that feel amazing! I'd merely comparing the woods and some features. It would be nice to pick up something cheap to tide me over until I find the right piece of gear for the right price. I LOVE the Broderick soloist, but I'm about $800 shy of affording the model I'd like. And money is tight these days.

I have a love/ hate thing with Ibanez. I think their guitars sound great, but most times, their necks are too skinny for me. While looking for a new guitar, I tried playing a J. Custom RG, and the neck was WAAAYYYYY too skinny and flat for me. The Xiphos didn't feel skinny by comparison. It felt more like a D shaped Charvel neck.

But yea, I'll wait till' after NAMM. (I might go to it next year. That'd be pretty cool )
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Is it the 27 fret one? I think that's awesome.

Just not so sure about the Edge III bridge on it.

Tags
xiphos

Show/Hide Posting Rules