<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Shelvock  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, UK
Posts: 74  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


GuitarBizzare, I don't think he has the sense to take you up on your fantastic offer
quote
  #17  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelvock View Post
GuitarBizzare, I don't think he has the sense to take you up on your fantastic offer
If he acts now, I'll throw in a second bag, absolutely free!

But wait, there's more!

If he agrees within the next fifteen minutes, he'll get not only the products listed, he'll also get the "GuitarBizarromatic douche protector" thrown in at NO EXTRA COST! Guaranteed to protect you from me being a douche, or your dignity back!*

*dignity will be refunded minus a 100% handling charge due to the non-corporeal nature of this item

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 04-30-2012 at 02:15 PM.
quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
ironfistx  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 787  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
if you're that eager to lighten your wallet for stupid reasons, I'll be glad to sell you a big bag of GuitarBizarre's patented I-Think-You're-An-Idiot for the low low price of Ģ200. Bargain offer of a lifetime, RRP Ģ500!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Oh, and by the way, I only just noticed you're in Australia. You should probably add a zero to the end of that 2K figure. I've heard more than once that luthiery is EXPENSIVE over there.
Be sure you seal the bag tightly. Australia is upside down
quote
  #19  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Be sure you seal the bag tightly. Australia is upside down
Good call. He should probably buy my GuitarBizarre brand shipping insurance. Prices on request. Ask about our premium service!
quote
  #20  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM
D.M.RG7620  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,809  -  iTrader: (1)
Reviews: 11

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


It's your guitar, do what you want.

Find an old square heel S-series neck (same as the RG Wizard but with 22 frets).

Then get yourself a good sized chunk of mahogany and fill the cavities for the current bridge.

Then get the Kahler that you want.

Get the pickups you want.

Route the body for the Kahler in the right place.

Put it in.

Install/wire the pickups.

string it up.

Enjoy.

I want you to know why everyone keeps suggesting that you just get a different guitar. You'll be spending all of that money on one of the crappiest guitars that Ibanez has ever built. If cost really doesn't matter, then get a better body made too. A body that's made to look exactly how you want and routed for everything that you want in it. Hell, then you could even get a 24 fret AANJ neck (which is way easier to find)! If you did that, you would have EVERYTHING that you want. Your own unique Ibanez custom. It'll be yours and yours alone. Then you can KEEP your GRX how it is and have a super high quality guitar.

And getting a custom body will not add to the price as much as you think. A lot go for great prices. And you can get it out of any wood that you want.
quote
  #21  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
It's your guitar, do what you want.

Find an old square heel S-series neck (same as the RG Wizard but with 22 frets).

Then get yourself a good sized chunk of mahogany and fill the cavities for the current bridge.

Then get the Kahler that you want.

Get the pickups you want.

Route the body for the Kahler in the right place.

Put it in.

Install/wire the pickups.

string it up.

Enjoy.

I want you to know why everyone keeps suggesting that you just get a different guitar. You'll be spending all of that money on one of the crappiest guitars that Ibanez has ever built. If cost really doesn't matter, then get a better body made too. A body that's made to look exactly how you want and routed for everything that you want in it. Hell, then you could even get a 24 fret AANJ neck (which is way easier to find)! If you did that, you would have EVERYTHING that you want. Your own unique Ibanez custom. It'll be yours and yours alone. Then you can KEEP your GRX how it is and have a super high quality guitar.

And getting a custom body will not add to the price as much as you think. A lot go for great prices. And you can get it out of any wood that you want.
It will most likely cost less than the cost of heavily modifying, stripping, and finishing the body he has now.
quote
  #22  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
D.M.RG7620  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 2,809  -  iTrader: (1)
Reviews: 11

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Exactly! And it will look and BE way better than the current one!

OP: There is no good feature on the Gio's. None. Everything on them is beginner crap. Why? Because beginners don't know the difference between crap and quality.
quote
  #23  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
RG Loyalist  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 185  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Good lord, you can get any RG body you want in any color you want with any bridge routing you want on the bay and save yourself from hacking away on driftwood.
OR you could glue some plywood together, trace your body and have pretty much the same thing but as a "blank canvas".

With that said, there is nothing wrong with upgrading a cheap but GOOD guitar. I bought three projects over the last two months: S470 with ZR bridge, XPT700 Xiphos, and an RGT42DXFM. All of these were $200 each in great condition. These are really good guitars and at $200 it doesn't hurt to put my own spin on them. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a copy of Melvin His****'s "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" if you want to get into the type of modifications you are wanting to make. You would be better starting from scratch.

Last edited by RG Loyalist; 04-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
quote
  #24  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
RG Loyalist  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 185  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Loyalist View Post
Melvin His****'s
Ha! Autoedit!
quote
  #25  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Loyalist View Post
Good lord, you can get any RG body you want in any color you want with any bridge routing you want on the bay and save yourself from hacking away on driftwood.
OR you could glue some plywood together, trace your body and have pretty much the same thing but as a "blank canvas".

With that said, there is nothing wrong with upgrading a cheap but GOOD guitar. I bought three projects over the last two months: S470 with ZR bridge, XPT700 Xiphos, and an RGT42DXFM. All of these were $200 each in great condition. These are really good guitars and at $200 it doesn't hurt to put my own spin on them. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a copy of Melvin His****'s "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" if you want to get into the type of modifications you are wanting to make. You would be better starting from scratch.
I wouldn't really call those guitars super cheap. I mean, yes, you get good prices on them, but thats just the nature of second hand guitars. Particularly second hand guitars that didn't exactly set new standards...the Xiphos is the best specced of those models and it was REALLY good, but it was aimed at basically just shy of prestige customers. They're really not in the same ballpark as the GRX, not by a LONG way.
quote
  #26  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
LonePhantom  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 8,561  -  iTrader: (8)
Reviews: 120

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


OK I think you've all scared the OP off now.

Really at the end of the day they didn't really understand what they were in for when it came to making their guitar "better". I don't think any of you needed to be quite so harsh. It wasn't like the OP was being belligerent or anything. We just needed to re-instate that it probably wasn't a wise investment to go crazy modifying a GIO...
quote
  #27  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
dragsternj  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,937  -  iTrader: (13)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
You are aware that Ibanez make other guitars with that body style, right? And a lot of them are actually really good guitars that wouldn't need modifying.

Here's a partial list, apologies, but there's definitely a few missing:

GRG010LTD
GRG06LTD
GRG07LTD1
GRG07LTD2
GRG121
GRG121EX
GRG150
GRG150DX
GRG150DXB
GRG150P
GRG170
GRG170DX
GRG170DXFM
GRG170DXL
GRG170F
GRG170M
GRG180
GRG220DEX
GRG250DX
GRG250P
GRG270
GRG270B
GRG270DX
GRG270DXFM
GRG370FM
GRGA11
GRGA21
GRGA22
GRGA22FM
GRGA32
GRGA32EX
GRGA32T
GRGA42QA
GRGA42T
GRGA42TQA
GRGM08LTD1
GRGM08LTD2
GRGM08LTD3
GRGM09LTD1
GRGM09LTD2
GRGM21
GRGM21L
GRGM21M
GRGM51HP
GRGR010LTD
GRGR09LTD
GRGR121EX
GRGS22
GRGS22FM
IRG1
IRG2
IRG8470F
IRG8470Z
JCRG10-01
JCRG10-02
JCRG10-03
JCRG10-04
JCRG10-05
JCRG10-06
JCRG2011Z
MRG1
MRG10
MRG11
MRG12
MRG13
MRG2
MRG3
MRG4
MRG5
MRG6
MRG7
MRG8
MRG9
RG-ARCH1
RG08LTD
RG09LTD
RG1077XL
RG120
RG1200
RG1202
RG120L
RG1280
RG1302
RG1308
RG1420F
RG1421F
RG1451
RG1508
RG1512
RG1520A
RG1520G
RG1520GK
RG1521
RG1527
RG15271
RG1527M
RG1527MZ
RG1527Z
RG1550
RG1550FM
RG1550GX
RG1550M
RG1550ML
RG1550MZ
RG1550MZL
RG1570
RG1570L
RG1570Z
RG1570ZL
RG1608
RG1618
RG1620X
RG1670MZ
RG170
RG1702
RG1712
RG1802
RG1808
RG1820X
RG20051
RG20061
RG20062
RG20063
RG20064
RG20071
RG20072
RG2011SC
RG2020X
RG2027X
RG2077XL
RG2080
RG2120X
RG2127X
RG220DX
RG2228
RG2450MZ
RG2470MZ
RG2520FE
RG2520ZE
RG2550E
RG2550EX
RG2550LTD
RG2550MZ
RG2550Z
RG2550ZL
RG2560ZEX
RG2570E
RG2570EX
RG2570MZ
RG2570Z
RG2610E
RG2610Z
RG2620
RG2620E
RG2620QM
RG2620Z
RG2620ZE
RG2660ZE
RG2670Z
RG2680
RG2680M
RG2770Z
RG27SP
RG2820CT
RG2EX1
RG2EX2
RG2EXT1
RG3070
RG3120
RG3120F
RG3180
RG320DXFM
RG320DXQM
RG320E
RG320FM
RG320PG
RG321E
RG321MH
RG3250MZ
RG3270
RG3270M
RG3271
RG350DX
RG350DXZ
RG350EX
RG350EXZ
RG350M
RG350MDX
RG350MH
RG350MHL
RG350MPZ
RG350MZ
RG350QM
RG350QMZ
RG350R1
RG350SP1
RG350SP3
RG3520Z
RG3520ZE
RG3550MZ
RG3570Z
RG3620Z
RG370AX
RG370DX
RG370DXFM
RG370DXGP1
RG370DXGP2
RG370DXGP3
RG370DXGP4
RG370DXL
RG370DXSP
RG370DXZ
RG370DXZL
RG3770Z
RG380DX
RG390GX
RG3EX1
RG3EXFM1
RG3EXQM1
RG420CM
RG420EG
RG420FB
RG420FBZ
RG450 (1990-1991)
RG450 (1992-1993)
RG450 (1994-1995)
RG450 (1999)
RG450 (2009)
RG4570Z
RG470
RG470AH
RG470AHZ
RG470FX
RG470KA
RG470MHZ
RG471AH
RG4EX1
RG4EXFM1
RG4EXQM1
RG517
RG527R
RG527RLTD
RG535
RG540
RG542AH
RG547AH
RG548
RG550
RG550 (1997-2002)
RG550-R
RG550MXX
RG550RXX
RG560
RG560L
RG565
RG570
RG570MH
RG580
RG581
RG5EX1
RG5EX1L
RG5SP1
RG5SP2
RG670DX
RG7320Z
RG7321
RG7321FM
RG7420
RG750
RG760
RG7620
RG7621
RG770
RG770DX
RG770DX (reissue)
RG770FM
RG770FM (2001-2002)
RG7EXFX
RG7EXFX2
RG8127F
RG8170F
RG8270F
RG8320
RG8327
RG8420FE
RG8420ZD
RG8420ZE
RG8427F
RG8470A
RG8470F
RG8470Z
RG8527Z
RG8570Z
RG8620S
RG870QMZ
RG870Z
RG920QMZ
RG9670Z
RGA121
RGA121H
RGA220Z
RGA32
RGA321
RGA321F
RGA42
RGA420Z
RGA427Z
RGA42FM
RGA42T
RGA42TFMZ
RGA42TZ
RGA7
RGA72QM
RGA72QME
RGA72TQM
RGA72TQMZ
RGA72TQMZE
RGA8
RGD2120Z
RGD2127Z
RGD320
RGD320Z
RGD321
RGD7320Z
RGD7321
RGHRG1
RGR08LTD
RGR1220
RGR1570
RGR320DX
RGR320EX
RGR321EX
RGR350EX
RGR370DX
RGR420EX
RGR421EXFM
RGR465M
RGR480
RGR521EX1
RGR521EX2
RGR580
RGR580L
RGSP1
RGSP2
RGSP3
RGT2020
RGT220A
RGT220H
RGT220Z
RGT3020FM
RGT3020QM
RGT3120
RGT3170
RGT320F
RGT320Q
RGT320Z
RGT32FMSP
RGT42DX
RGT42DXFM
RGT42DXFX
RGT42FM
RGT42FX
RGT42FX (2007)
RGT42FXQM
RGT42MDX
RGT5EX
RGT6EX
RGT6EX2
RGT6EXFX
RGT6EXFX2
RGTHRG1
RGTHRG2
RG-ART1
RG-GEAR1
Wow how long did that take to find and format and all
quote
  #28  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Wow how long did that take to find and format and all
about 2 minutes? I just copypasted from the ibanez wikia.
quote
  #29  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
GuitarBizarre  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,610  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
OK I think you've all scared the OP off now.

Really at the end of the day they didn't really understand what they were in for when it came to making their guitar "better". I don't think any of you needed to be quite so harsh. It wasn't like the OP was being belligerent or anything. We just needed to re-instate that it probably wasn't a wise investment to go crazy modifying a GIO...
When you make a reasonable statement and someone refuses to believe it, or entertain the possibility of anyone being correct regarding it, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their ability to follow the logical thread of any other answer.

In those situations, a blunt approach seems pragmatic.
quote
  #30  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
axel_f  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SWFL
Posts: 622  -  iTrader: (1)

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model


Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Loyalist View Post
Ha! Autoedit!
I always thought that guy got screwed on his name. Now you really see the irony, can't even mention him on a guitar forum! . Great book, though.
quote
Reply

Tags
customization, grx

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottom line on RG350 series? noise5150 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 38 12-23-2010 12:01 AM
line 6 model packs dimefan90 Gear and Equipment 10 09-02-2008 07:36 AM
FS: Line 6 POD XT with all 4 model pacls VforVendetta00 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 12-25-2006 07:40 PM
Which model of the RG line is this? (pics) XR4 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 43 08-04-2006 08:05 AM
FS.. Line 6 Pod Pro Xt with 3 model packs LennyX Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 05-25-2005 01:02 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by