<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Re: Looking to mod an old bottom of the line model

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
I always thought that guy got screwed on his name. Now you really see the irony, can't even mention him on a guitar forum! . Great book, though.
Good thing his first name isn't Jimmy!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
OK I think you've all scared the OP off now.

Really at the end of the day they didn't really understand what they were in for when it came to making their guitar "better". I don't think any of you needed to be quite so harsh. It wasn't like the OP was being belligerent or anything. We just needed to re-instate that it probably wasn't a wise investment to go crazy modifying a GIO...
Hey S!!

Normally I would agree, except that you, steeler, and myself all tried to be helpful and constructive. The OP obviously completely ignored everything I said, and then basically told you and Steeler that your common sense suggestion was not what he wanted to hear...............

He's only willing to entertain suggestions that support his thought of what the guitar should be. He only hears what suits his interests.......so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Loyalist View Post
Good thing his first name isn't Jimmy!
or Dick???

Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 PM

If you have a sentimental attachment to your first guitar, either put it on display or make some sort of piece of art out of it (I have a friend whose family was into RC airplanes and that's what they did when they crashed their favorite plane), or like break off a small piece of it and have it worked into a custom new body. That will capture what you're trying to do and will still save money in the long run.

You are asking how to turn a 1985 Honda Civic into a Porsche. It's going to cost more to do what you want to do than it would to just buy a new guitar that meets all the specs you want. Most guitars, especially entry-level guitars, don't have swappable parts.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Just to further support RG Loyalists claim the you can find high quality/high-end used Ibbys...... I picked up this decent condition RG760 for $150 in January.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Just to further support RG Loyalists claim the you can find high quality/high-end used Ibbys...... I picked up this decent condition RG760 for $150 in January.

Where'd you get it for that price?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Thank-you all for your criticism. I have been listening, so all I am going to do now is change the paint and the pickups. I have realised the new neck and bridge would be ridiculous. So instead, it's just going to be the PU's and the paint. That'll all come out to about $200.
The thing is, in Australia a decent new guitar will set you back at least $800 (that's online as well). And whilst it is cheaper over the internet, I don't want to have to order a guitar from the USA. It's too much of a hassle, and there are too many things that can go wrong with the shipping in my mind. Plus, I like to see what the guitar is like before I buy.
Nobody wants to screw around with the paint or pickups of a new guitar, because it is new. My guitar is about 6 years old. And it's a base model. So if I don't go and route the sh*t through it, there isn't too much that can go wrong. And my AFS is a better guitar, so I'm leaving that one as is. I'm not an idiot, contrary to what you may think. And I have been listening.
Also, I'm doing the finish myself. I know I am capable of that. Sand it, spray it, clear coat, leave for two months. I am researching this. Like I said, I'm not an idiot.
I do want advice from you lot. And no, I haven't been scared off. And I did just notice that info about getting a new body. If it isn't too expensive, I could go for that.
I know, the RGX isn't the greatest guitar in the world by any standards. But hey, if I muck up on that, so long as I don't go too far, at least it isn't a ridiculous muck-up with the paint and whatnot. And With new pickups, I can just take them off and put them in a different body if I ever want to.
Thankyou for putting some sense into me.
Gabberz
PS: I know the RGX is not well put together. I had to use a monkey wrench to take out the damn screws last night. Like I said on my facebook page, you don't know how sh*t the craftmanship on a guitar is until you take it apart.
PPS: Oi GB: F*CK YOU :P
Only kidding. Just loosen up a bit.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Also, GB, It isn't just luthiers that are expensive over here. EVERYTHING is expensive.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Oh, and RGT: if a used guitar is that cheap in Australia, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with it. Even a different model used GIO from, what, the 90's was about $200 in a used guitar shop. I played a yamaha (1980's) once on a crappy amp so I thought the guitar was ok. Then I noticed the price was under $200 and started looking for what was wrong. The double locking trem? All bull****, no lock, just looks.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The truth about the price is finally out.. Nice score! Wish I could find a deal like that... I guess I did get a brand new RG350 for $120 once.. but the 760 is probably a nicer guitar.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Where'd you get it for that price?
A dude in Plainfield had it on craigslist.....he knew what it was too. He was the original owner.

Gabbers: Glad to see your back with us. I don't want you to think that I'm trying to dissuade you from anything. If you've read any of my old posts, you'll see that I'll hack into just about any guitar. It's just that many of the mods you proposed take a great deal of accuracy and detail.....often times they exceed my abilities too. I think the best choice you made was coming to Jemsite for help/advice. There's a ton of folks here with surprisingly detailed information about all Ibby's and they're all willing to share it. This is an incredible bunch of guys.

I'm glad you came to your senses about the GRX. In truth, I think it's the perfect choice for someone to learn and practice their "Major Modding" skills. They just need to be ready for the fact that mistakes (which will happen) can easily destroy that particular body.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM

After checking out the Australian bay, there are NO good deals available. Wow, I might be hacking away on a GIO too!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM

Got an rg550 with an amp off Craigslist for $275. It's too bad there's no CL down under. Just wish I didn't have to get robbed and raped at gunpoint so many times to find a deal on there.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
Got an rg550 with an amp off Craigslist for $275. It's too bad there's no CL down under. Just wish I didn't have to get robbed and raped at gunpoint so many times to find a deal on there.
It's funny, I've never had a problem with CL. I've even had guitars shipped from other states.....no problems.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

I'll be damned......Craigslist Australia!!!!!!

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/au

Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Heh, me neither. Just seems like I hear it on the news a lot, so and so gets lured through CL and robbed /murdered etc. That's why I meet in public!

Tags
customization, grx

Show/Hide Posting Rules