Modding a low end RG - Page 2 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Reviews: 18

Re: Modding a low end RG

Wow! Nice, Just A Box! All it's missing is an Edge Pro
Old 12-05-2010, 06:42 AM

Im hoping to do a similar thing with my RG350MYE ive got a set of dimarzios in it, im thinking next year of getting a jem body and possible changing the neck foir a pyramid inlay at some point during the year...its a no brainer that its cost more to make than just to buy but if you enjoy the work invlved and dont mind splashing a bit of cash around its very rewarding
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationSHREDder View Post
*jaw drops*
what neck did you put on it? how much did the whole project cost totally?
thanks, guys.....

Well, I had the RG350DX ($400), and I swapped necks with an RG320FM I had. 3 new DiMarzio pickups ($60-$70 each), new pickguard ($35), Megaswitch, pots & output jack from Stew Mac ($50 or so), Binding & router bit ($45-$50), Paint & supplies ($80-$100). So, we're talking like $700-$800 all said & done. But some of the supplies were tools or were able to be used on other projects.

I used tutorials on Project Guitar to guide me through the Monkey Grip, and Bears Claw mods, using my Jem as a judge of how accurate I was doing. Modding the output jack was done using my Jem for measurements.

All in all it was not cost effective for resale or anything like that. I simply wanted to have a cheaper alternative to taking my Jem out that wouldn't make me cry if I chipped it or something like that. I also have an affinity for a Jem 7DBK, which was what I was originally planning to do, but I really wanted to try my hand at binding. I'm actually in the early stages of refinishing it, as it came out good, but not perfect. But I'm also hand building 2 guitars from scratch right now, so it'll have to wait until spring to be finished.

At this point, it would take little money but alot of time & effort to simply replicate the body work. It was the other mods, especially pickups, and the purchase of some specialty tools that will be used for years that really put it up there.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 PM

I've done a bunch of work on my buddies RG350.

Full setup, trem-no, upgraded all the electronics, replaced the pickups with Evos, and added a killswitch.

Its a KILLER guitar. Amazing tone and playability.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationSHREDder View Post
Thanks for all the input guys!
Now i'm torn since i really like the RG550 but no one sells that near me. Most of the craigslist adds in my price range are obvious scams. (i emailed 2 deifferent people and they replied with the EXACT same message.)

I know all about the 550 series but they are still out of my price range for the most part.
I was thinking since i really like the idea of a custom guitar would it be cheaper to buy the body/neck/trem seperately since i see alot of decent deals here?
Pick-ups are relativrly easy to find, and i'm not too particular on sound since i'm not gigging. I want a better ibanez that will stay in tune when i use the trem. And i want a smaller neck since my fingers are litterally the size of a woman's. (embarrising i know)

Ps. please ignore the spelling errors im in a bit of a hurry.
ever think of scalloping the neck for your lady like hands?? i did to some of my guitars it helps A LOT
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 AM

As a quick update (since i forgot about starting this thread), i just bought an old RG550 (1989) with a crappy paint job. I'm changing my focus to modding it.

My "lady like hands" work just fine on this one hahaha so i'm just gonna try refinishing it and maybe add some fret inlay stickers. I'm thinking maybe a Ferrari Red high gloss finish with a black pick guard. Maybe get some inlay stickers too.

Anyone have and good ideas for this? I'll post some pics of it in a bit. Also I need info on how to remove the paint that's on it right now. I saw a guide that showed how to remove it with chemicals but it never said what chemical to use. I'd rather use the chemicals than sand paper.
I know TONS of people have done these types of mods already but i figure since i'm the one who started this thread i should continue my modding adventure here.

Last edited by ImitationSHREDder; 05-31-2011 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: sp. error it's hard to type with one hand
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

That turned out great! Now, just replace the fretboard with pyramids or vine and you're all set--just another $50-70 depending on type of wood from aiguitars on eBay.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 11

Why does everyone get so caught up with stripping the guitar down to bare wood when they are going to paint it again anyway???
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM

because they don't understand paint needs a rough surface to stick to i.e. primer. and if you already have paint on it if you just rough that up a bit it will be fine.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM

I guess because i've never done anything like this before. How do you get rid of the top layer of paint?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Scotch-brite cleaning pads.... just scrub your guitar (dry) til there is no more shine anywhere. If you have any dents or deep scratches they'll have to be filled and sanded flat first.

I use the no.96 pads...... just the right amount of abrasion.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks but the rg550 i just got doesn't have any "shine" (i think you mean clear coat right?). And is there a specific type of paint i should use?

Tags
350 , custom build , ibanez rg , modded

Show/Hide Posting Rules