Modding a low end RG - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Modding a low end RG

Ok, so i've had an ibanez RG 350 EX for a year, and it is asking for some changes. Anyone done somthing similar? Or have suggestions?

I'm thinking about putting a new neck on it and changing the pick-ups. does the neck from a RG presitege fit on it?
Has anyone else done extensive work on these models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Modding a low end RG

Go up towards the top of the page and click SEARCH. Then, type in "RG350EX mod"--you'll be surprised at the wealth of info already provided...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 1

Some easy mods would be pickup swaps/change in pickup colors, change knobs or switchtips, truss rod cover, pickguard, and maybe straplocks? These would probably be the less drastic changes (although the pickups can get confusing if you are new to DIYs).
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM

It's your money, and only you can decide if the upgrades are worth it. They will never be worth it to anyone else. Play the hell out of it, learn what you like and don't like about it, and save that knowledge-- and your money-- towards a better guitar.

Peace

Mike
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Agree with Mikey for the most part. However, if you are looking to get into modding guitars as a hobby or want to learn some repair/refinishing the 350 is a good quality lower end guitar to start on. It has a great body shape and parts are easy to get.
As Mikey points out you wont get your money back out of a lower end unit most of the time.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Changing the pickups and tremolo will make a massive difference.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimefan90 View Post
Changing the pickups and tremolo will make a massive difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989RG560CA View Post
. . . if you are looking to get into modding guitars as a hobby or want to learn some repair/refinishing the 350 is a good quality lower end guitar to start on. . . .
I agree with both of the above posters. Modding the 350 will gain you experience and better tone. Whether you do it or not, if you evaluate for yourself what you're getting for your money, you'll be more satisfied.

If I were going to mod it, I'd throw some DiMarzio PAF humbuckers in it and keep the stock pups. The PAF/RG combo has been proven, and even if I didn't like it, I could re-sell either or both (pups & guitar) without losing too much $$$.

Peace

Mike
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Swirl it!

Just kidding.

But seriously, if you are thinking of going as far as replacing the neck, you may want to consider getting a new guitar entirely. Mods are great to get the experience or slightly tweak a guitar, but if you are trying to make it into an entirely different guitar just buy a new guitar that fits your needs. It will be worth the extra money.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys!
Now i'm torn since i really like the RG550 but no one sells that near me. Most of the craigslist adds in my price range are obvious scams. (i emailed 2 deifferent people and they replied with the EXACT same message.)

I know all about the 550 series but they are still out of my price range for the most part.
I was thinking since i really like the idea of a custom guitar would it be cheaper to buy the body/neck/trem seperately since i see alot of decent deals here?
Pick-ups are relativrly easy to find, and i'm not too particular on sound since i'm not gigging. I want a better ibanez that will stay in tune when i use the trem. And i want a smaller neck since my fingers are litterally the size of a woman's. (embarrising i know)

Ps. please ignore the spelling errors im in a bit of a hurry.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Mods are never as easy as you think. It always surprises me that parts aren't easily interchangable. Save your mony and buy what you want. As everyone said, you'll never get your money out of the mods, so its better to buy something for less cahs thats been modded by someone else.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Yea i actually found a RG570 for like $250. I'm in the process of getting money to pull the trigger on it. I really want to put a clear pick gaurd on it make it more like a 550 or 770.
Anyone know much would guitar center give me for a near mint condition RG350EX? Or where i can quickly sell it for the best price. I have had my 350EX for a little over a year and there are litterally 0 scratches and one nearly microscopic dent on the head stock that might have come with the guitar. It is my first guitar so I'm a little hesitant to sell it, it holds tremendous emotional value. The RG570 looks like it is in great condition. i will post pics if i can get it.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

sorry for double post i need to delete this one

Last edited by ImitationSHREDder; 09-28-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Falied hardcore....
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM

As far as selling try the bay works pretty well for me. If you keep it I would put different pickups in first. I am hot rodding my japanese rg470L as we speak. Me being left handed I have basically three options

1. buy new junk try to hot rod into decent junk
2. custom shop
3. buy used "ok" guitars and turn them into something I couldnt live without
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM

I turned mine into a poor man's Jem. Breed pickups, and a DiMarzio Pro Track. Alot of body work, but it was fun.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

*jaw drops*
what neck did you put on it? how much did the whole project cost totally?

Tags
350 , custom build , ibanez rg , modded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode