<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM

My FGM400 neck arrived, gutted.

I'd bought this for a build I was doing. Can't say I've had good luck with this particular build to say the least. Stripped an S540 body to go with this neck (and did so poorly) exacerbating a neck pocket crack on both sides.

Well the FGM400 neck just arrived and whomever packed it, did so in a box that was too short. The headstock ended up ripping through the box and it damaged the binding and the paint on the face of the headstock. Really, really stupid people. Ship a neck in a HARD tube with serious padding on both ends. The worst part is the rarity of this guitar neck and the place that shipped it was a pro music store.

I'm just gutted. I've contacted the store, waiting on a response. Haven't actually opened the box yet and I'm leaving it as is. I shot video to show the box hasn't been opened along with the damage.

What would you guys do given how rare the neck is? Would you have it fixed? Send it back? I don't think insurance is going to cover this because it's apparent the box was too short.

Pic.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Re: My FGM400 neck arrived, gutted.

Such a shame. I hope you don't get your insurance claim denied. Maybe this "pro" music shop will still refund you your money. They should. There is no excuse for that to have happened.

Sorry your neck got jacked up especially being so rare.

Last edited by jeremywills; 11-20-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Yeah that's really what bugs me. I mean it's not like there's even a few of these floating around. I didn't actually see the hole when I first picked the box up but my very first thought was "man that box seems too short." Then I turn it over and see the headstock poking out. Your average idiot could have chosen a more appropriate box.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Vendor

Unfortunately your average idiot is your typical music store employee [no offense to those with normal IQ's working in MI]

Post sale negotiate, or return, whichever you can live with.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Rich, you wouldn't happen to know the color code for the FGM400 or where I'd be able to obtain matching paint?

Thanks for your feedback.
-m
Old 11-20-2012, 01:13 PM

That sucks.

I would return it. The cosmetic flaw can be repaired, but being shipped like that could cause structural damage as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Vendor

No, that info is just never available. It will be in one of the auto paint books from the period though.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I do that knowing I'd probably never find another FGM400 neck that "was" essentially new. As soon as the shop gets back to me, I may open it and inspect further. I couldn't refuse it as it was delivered to the shipping dock at work and someone signed for it there.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, that info is just never available. It will be in one of the auto paint books from the period though.
I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway Rich! I've got the "other" project to keep me occupied in the meantime, LOL.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Just talked to the shop, they've already refunded me and the UPS guy will be here tomorrow to look at it. My concern is they may take the neck and destroy it. It's too rare for that. But honestly, due to the size of the box, it was packed inadequately and as a result, was damaged. So they probably won't cover it. Shop will work with me but I need to figure out if there's someone out there that can repair it first, at a reasonable cost.

The damaged area, AFIK, is pretty small.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM

the way I look at it, It's already destroyed. You payed for something and you did not get it. I would get a refund. If you kept it, it would just be more money you have to put into it to fix some one else's mistake. Which is horse poop.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Depending on how bad you want to keep this (damaged) neck,
Maybe you can make them an offer.
Always better then destroying right?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Reviews: 2

That's a shame ppack it like that. I guess the shop should reimburse you.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Sad considering it was in near mint condition and that had to happen but...... there are plenty of Ibanez headstocks with a ding or two at the extreme end like that. Maybe not as severe looking but there out there. I know I've had a few. Given the shape of any pointy style headstock its easy to chip the end like that.

Frustrating for sure. If they refunded you great. If you can actually keep the neck I'd try to utilize it if it were me. Assuming no other major trauma occured that you are not aware of yet. If the neck is otherwise good to go why waste it entirely.

It would be a shame to see it get chopped up. Better to utilize it. If not on this project maybe another beater body down the pipe? Could be a good candidate for something else. I guess you will just have to wait and see what its fate will be. At least the shop was reasonable about it. They could have been .... 's about it.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Man, really sucks to hear that. Sadly, I had a really similar experience myself recently. I took two necks on a plane with me in a box that was barely bigger than the two necks stacked on top of eachother and not really long enough. But I was hand carrying these so I wasn't that concerned. I dropped the necks off at a luthier who occasionally posts here for some work.

After some snafus, the work gets done, but I didn't have any trips planned to his area and he offered to ship them back at no charge since the work had taken so long. I say OK but insist that he rebox the necks, because what I brought them in was not suitable for shipping.

Of course the necks show up in the same damn box. Packaging looks OK, but I take the necks out and find one of them damaged. THANK GOD not the J.Custom neck that was in the box. Anyway, here's the damage:

I emailed him and of course no response. Saw him post here the other day and I PM'd him. No response again.. Great. Anyone know how I can fix this? Seems like it could help the OP as well. Wood at the very tip got depressed, which caused the binding to break and a chunk of paint to pop out. I glued the binding back down, but how can I fill in that missing chunk?

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Tags
fgm 400, neck, s540

Show/Hide Posting Rules