<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 AM

My first ibanez how did i do?

I have been watching guitars used gear section for a while. Wanted to get a RG7620 just wasn't sure I wanted a seven string or trem. So I started watching their rg570s and over night the price dropped 70 so I called asked a few questions and got it for 252 shipped.

The guitar was in great condition no chips or fretware just a bunch of very fine surface scratches. There was a little toggle switch installed on it that the store manager didn't mention. I think it was used to create single split coil for a dimarzio megadrive pickup that was added in.

Looking it up online it is a 1987 rg570. Looks like it wasn't used much in its time as the arm is still in its retro loooking shelf baggie. It came with the original hardshell case and the v2 pickup that was relaced.

A few questions

There were a few small stress fractures in it on the part of the neck connecting to the headstock and along the sides of the ne k pocket. Is this normal/bad the manager didn't mention this either.

Another thing when I just play an open string it seems to turn to static. Like the pickups have trouble with the last vibrations of the strings.

There also seems to be a lot of background noise when set to just a single pickup but once paired up with another it is much more quiet. Is that normal? Like could have the guy messed something up installing the switch?

This is my first trem guitar. Now I see what people are talking about in down or up tuning. It took me a good while to get it back to e standard.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Everything on this guitar is new to me as my other guitar is a hardshell schecter with emg85/81. I am liking is so far and think it will be replacing my schecter.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 AM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

Re: My first ibanez how did i do?

The cracks around the neck could be an issue, but an easily repairable issue. The ones on the neck joint should be fairly superficial too. We'd need pictures to confirm though so get your post count up so you can put some pictures up.

The single coil will be noisy by itself. That's in their nature. Humbuckers aren't noisy because they "buck" the hum ( geddit?) by using two coils to cancel out the hum. When the single is used in conjunction with another pickup it will lose the noise because its working with a second coil.

Oh, and if the open strings are buzzing you might need to shim the locking nut. A thin piece of sand paper or similar across the fretboard under the nut, closest to the first fret should do it.

And welcome to the world of Ibanez guitars. They are great.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM

I tried taking some pics but my phones camera a bit worthless. The are two on the neck where the headstock peice is attached leading to the bolt holes for the tuner locks. They are hardly noticble except for the missing fleck of varnish. One the neck pocket it just look like a line in the paint on the right its about a cm long but on the left it goes from the bottom corner wher you first see the neck to just about the back which is about 1 1/2 inches long. That's the one that has me worried.

The noise thing is comparing it to the emgs they are not like that at all. Maybe it normal but depending on how I hold the guitar the background noise gets louder.

Sorry for the vauge description I am still new to this guitar.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
LonePhantom  is online

Like I said, single coils are noisy, that's just how they are when used by them selves. The crack on the neck may very well need a repair, but again its an easy repair.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 AM

That's the part I don't understand. A single on its own noisy. But why would a humbucker be noiser on its own than when its paired with a single. Is it just the more you link them the more opposite windings you have?
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Reviews: 37

As a new ibanez owner my best suggestion is IBANEZRULES tech at the top of page.
Also a tut on reparing cracked necks.
Also a single coil will be louder always than a humbucker from what ive seen check to see if the grounds are solid.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
LonePhantom  is online

So are you actually trying to say that the humbucker is noisy? You're not being clear with your words, so its hard to understand.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

Boy do I have a good bit to say here!!!!!!

!. Congratulations!!! You got a killer guitar for a great price!!! Even in rough shape, a first year 570 is nothing to shrug off.

2. It sounds like you have grounding/cold solder issues with the wiring...absolutely not a big deal, but it should be fixed by a qualified tech........not a lot of $$ to do.

3. Your one lucky s.o.b. to have a Mega-drive in there. The only way to get one in the last 10 years has been to custom order one from DiMarzio. Even if you don't keep it in the guitar, hang on to it..........it's worth its weight in gold!!!

4. The body/neck joints cracks you have are completely normal and expected from an older Ibby. They are almost always in the finish only, if you can post some pics (as LP asked) we can tell what condition your in.

5 Again, as LP said...... more than likely the cracks behind the nut are probably minor and most likely not an issue, but they DO need to be tended to........ Don't let such a simple thing go undone. LP is a pro at cracked necks/headstocks. Get with him to see what, if any, repairs you need.

6. Welcome to Jemsite brother!!! Post some damn pics for us so we can see that bad-boy!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 AM

Sorry to be so confusing about the sound I will try to explain it better.

Like how the single coil sounds like a fly buzzing. The humbuckers do to but much less. Then when in the 2 or 4 of the 12345 postions it goes away. I mean this may be totally normal I just found it strange.

I will try and take pics in the afternoon when there is better lighting. But the hardware other than light pick scratches is almost perfect. The original edge looks like it was never touch the fine tuners were all in the top positions. Which is what got me so worried about the sound and cracks as to why it sold so cheap.

Now for the cracks.

On the neck they are not like sliced across the surface like in that tutorial. Its more of if you put a knife into the back of the headstock. Not literally of course just trying to explain the orientation of the cracks since I am not to familiar with all the terms. The go straight from the wood jount to the two nut holes. Looking in the I can see the line going down into the wood. So I really have no idea how it could be fixed since I don't see a way for the crack to be spread enough to get any glue into it.

On the body there isn't much to see as its more just a line in the paint that on the thicker one you can feel flushed out a bit ic you run your finger across.

I will try and get some pics to give a better idea but its not coming apart more of just if you stand on thin ice and it starts cracking under you feet.

I am really sorry if I am confusing really going into this stuff blind with no one around playing guitar and being self taught is a pain. But it is so worth it. Takes a lot of time but things are slowly getting easier.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Ok I think I got it. I uploaded some pics but am having touble addin them maybe they will apear below.

Darn says I have "owned"attachments but don't see where to add them to the post.

This is annoying it will not let me post pics from an account I just created for uploading the pics. Says I need a higher post count. That might also by why it wont let me post my picture attachments.

Last edited by Drastion; 11-17-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Ok, now for an update. Now that I have a day off and can actually spend some time with it. I am freakin loving this guitar! I have to me at least short fingers and if makes reaching some strinings real akward. Now with this thnner neck I find myself reaching past the strings. Didn't even think about that it would help in that way. Just read how good the trem was and how fast the neck was.

Thank-you so much to everyone on this board. Finding this place is what lead me to this guitar. This guitar makes playing so much more enjoyable without messing with my wrist to reach. I couldn't be happier with this guitar!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Did you get the pickup problem solved yet?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah and what about the pictures???
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM

I think I just had it hooked up to something too sensitive. Don't play loud so I don't notice it at all with my small amp.

Could not get a picture to show the crack at the nut. Here is a pic of the guitar though. Hope the link works.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM

I was wondering with how thin the neck is. Is there some kind of limit on the gauge of strings I would want to use. Also is it ok to put a spring post in one of the retaining post slots. Tried putting a 4th spring in and that's the only place I could get it to fit.

The neck pocket is still a concern. Makes me think it is fed

Tags
rg570

Show/Hide Posting Rules