<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 04-21-2001, 03:22 PM

New RG Project going. - I'm gonna re-re-re build my ol' crap

This was my first Ibanez. It's a RG-560, with a RG-550 neck.
Originally, it was metallic red, but when I bought it, the paint was awfull, full with cracks, dings. There was an extra hole between the volume and trebble knob. In short, the thing looked like crap. So when I got fed up with the axe, I decided to do a nice paint job on the body. Close the extra hole and such. Well, painting isn't my cup of tea... It's white now, but it's the worst paint job you'll ever see. Just one layer, looks like crap. I did a bad job on re wireing too.....

In January I bought a JS-1000, so I can now take the time to do it right. I've took everything apart. Threw away those el-cheapo Ibanez p.u's.

This is my plan: Sand everything down, including the headstock. Fix every hole, ding and so. Do a nice paint job.
Don't know what color, but I think something metallic. Perhaps laser blue. Since the body will be full of filler, I can't do a clear or burnt stained finnish, which is a shame.
Next I'm gonne get my self a set of evo pickups. Re-wire the thing right....

There are a couple of things I need though, and maybe you guys have some input.

I need to do the logo on the headstock again. I'm not sure what color. I like the woodcolor headstoch with black logo, I don't think I can get that orriginal black headstock as nice as it should be. *I saw the logo files here somewere, but is there anyone who can make those stickers?

I've read somewhere that someone used car paint for the body. Sounds great to me, but what clear finnish do you use?
How many layers do you put on the body?

I'll get a new film for my camera, so you can see the progress. Any hints from the experst are greatly appriciated!
--
Jeroen
Old 04-21-2001, 07:11 PM

Reviews: 5

New RG Project going.

you can certainly use lacquer for cars. *Just ask them if it's acrylic or nitrocellulous. *Don't EVER mix them. *A body detail shop will probably sell you some.
Old 04-22-2001, 03:26 AM

New RG Project going.

My suggestion for beautiful very tough paint finishes is a base coat, clear coat automotive system. *I prefer the PPG line of paints, but RM, Dupont and others like that all work very well. *The base coat (colour) is a single shot paint that must be cleared, the clear is a two part (three really) finish consisting of a reducer, and two part a &amp; b clear. *It will look awesome! *And, it's tough too. *
One word of caution though, don't ever spray an automotive clear without proper ventilation and protection. *An open window is NOT enough. *A booth with an exhaust fan is a great choice, and a carbon filter cartridge respirator is necessary, don't say, I'm just spraying a little bit, use it all the time, even with the base coat. *Don't screw around with these paints, they can and will kill you if you don't exercise proper care when using them.
There is also a line of paints called Createx made for airbrushing that is a non-toxic, water based, base coat paint. *It still needs an automotive type clear, but the colour choice is great, the price is great, and the fact that they are water based and non-toxic makes it a great choice for the basement luthier. *If you don't want to spray the clear, take it to a body shop. *Body shops spray clear everyday and will usually do a body for 1 hours labour. *About $50 Canadian ($30 US) and the results are very good.
Good luck with the project!
Jeremy
Old 04-22-2001, 05:58 PM

New RG Project going.

Thanks folks. In the meantime I need to sand down the body.
As far as I see it, I have a couple of options here, depending on the amount of time and money I'll spend on this. So this is my shopping list for now:
Pick-ups.
It's got a H-S-S configuration. I want Dimarzio's.
Question is which.
For the humbucker I need a mounting ring. The one that came of is a simple plastic one. On the JS-1000 are nice chrome ones. I want one of those...
Maybe other hardware. It's all black now, depending on the color the body will get, maybe other color hardware (I like the hardware on the Jem BSB)
I need a new heelplate (I think that's what it's called).
Are there any original Ibanez plates out there?
I've sanded down the neck. It looks like new now..:-)
I like the wood color headstock, I might keep that. Need a black Ibanez logo transfer though.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:27 PM

Reviews: 2

New RG Project going.

The BSB hardware isn't readily available. Also the cosmo black (Black Chrome) rings on the JS1000 might also be tough to get. Warmoth do gold chrome and black PUP rings. They also do the neck plate and the plastic thing that goes under it in those same colours.

Regards
P
Old 04-22-2001, 08:42 PM
(a)
Vendor

New RG Project going.

I stock Black Chrome rings and Chrome, but the only BSB H/W I have right now is a nut (came in by accident!LOL)
Old 04-23-2001, 03:26 AM

New RG Project going.

Rich,
Would a Jem nut fit on an RG neck?
Maybe I'll make a mix. Gold tuners, chrome ring, black trem, powdercoated nut....... A real leftover guitar..
Old 04-23-2001, 09:13 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

New RG Project going.

Quote:
Would a Jem nut fit on an RG neck?
Yes. They are both 53mm... glen
Old 04-23-2001, 07:56 PM

New RG Project going.

I always thought a black and chrome look would be cool ie alternating machineheads and bridge pieces.

P
Old 05-24-2001, 12:38 AM

New RG Project going.

I repainted my old beater guitar a couple of years ago. *I used enamel color and clearcoat from rattle cans and it looked really nice, but I have two pieces of advice:
1. *Be patient and let the paint dry between coats.
2. *Be EXTRA patient with the clearcoat.

I waited a week after the clearcoat to put the pickguard back on (granted, it is very humid here in the summer) and after a couple of days, it sunk into the clearcoat. *Of course, now it is rock hard.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:08 PM

New RG Project going.

Another idea for the headstock logo is to trace it, get some tough card, cut out the logo then put the card with the cut OUT on the headstock then get a heatgun and brand the guitar BSB style with the logo.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:46 PM

New RG Project going.

Quote:
Quote: from Jeroenn on 3:22 pm on April 21, 2001
I need to do the logo on the headstock again. I'm not sure what color. I like the woodcolor headstoch with black logo, I don't think I can get that orriginal black headstock as nice as it should be. *I saw the logo files here somewere, but is there anyone who can make those stickers?
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/...s36nobles.html

Some info for ya' that may help.

Steve
Old 05-24-2001, 08:01 PM

New RG Project going.

Thanks Steve!
Old 05-25-2001, 01:12 PM

New RG Project going.

I think Kevan had a "how to" in the forum somewhere, try searching for that. *It was similar to the article Steve posted...
Old 05-25-2001, 11:24 PM

New RG Project going.

Hey man, I have one Ibanez logo decal left, I lost your address when you emailed me though, send it to me again and I'll mail it out to you.
Jeremy

Tags
black headstock, clear coat, evo pickups, jem bsb, neck plate

Show/Hide Posting Rules