NGD! 540r - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

NGD! 540r - now with pictures

Sooo, I got my 540r today after asking Fedex to come back to my house. Seems to be in good condition. Some scuffs on the paint but that's the worst of it.

Now for the question:

It seems that you can dive bomb the trem, but how did satriani use this model for those crazy pullups on the bar? The trem hits the wood. Does he have his routed out farther or something? If I pull all the way up it goes up a whole step, but I'm pretty sure his goes farther?

Pics will probably come tomorrow!

It's a nice metallic blue color

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by sarNz; 09-02-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Re: NGD! 540r

1. You sure its properly leveled?
2. You need a neck shim.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM

What model is it? Color? I'm afraid you have uncovered a dark secret only few know.I have a few (4) of these and if it's pre '90 or '91, I'm not sure, your trem cavity is not as deep as the later ones. I know this because the two that I have with the HSS configuration and the un-bound dot inlay necks I have had routed to match the specs of the other two. As you have found out, your model is one of them. This is true with the HH ones too. You can try and compensate a little by adjusting the height of the trem in the rear, but it will matter only a little before your action is screwed. If you want to wammy like Satch (and who doesn't?) find a good luthier. Sorry.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM

Oops! I didn't see that you had said the color. Is it a burst or the Jewel blue? I have a Jewel blue and it's beeeutiful.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest4 View Post
Oops! I didn't see that you had said the color. Is it a burst or the Jewel blue? I have a Jewel blue and it's beeeutiful.
I'm pretty sure it's the Jewel Blue. Looks dark blue in low light but with something shining on it you can see its bright metallic.

Yousef - The trem looks pretty level I think, I will take some detailed pictures tomorrow. The neck seems to be fine though, action is comfortable with no buzzing. Might bring it to someone I know who is *really* good at setting up guitars.

Here is a pic. I think you can see that I have one of the shallow trem ones. That's ok for now, but I'm sure eventually I'll want to get it routed out. Is it a very extensive process? Or just rip out the bridge and have someone do it? Is it expensive for that small bit of routing?

And if this is in fact pre 1990, (serial number doesn't help, A800070) then is that an original Edge trem? Why are they sought after?

Thanks, and will have much better pictures tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

more pictures

ewww dirty frets and dry neck

doesnt this look better?

here is the trem

Last edited by sarNz; 09-02-2009 at 02:24 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 AM

I punched the serial number into "the guitar dater project" and here's what came up;

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Terada Plant, Japan
Production Number: 70

The Terada Musical Instrument Co., Ltd.
The Terada Musical Instrument Co., Ltd. was established in 1912, at the beginning Terada was making Violins for Toy purposes, after World War II, around 1955 Terada started to make in earnest ‘Strings Instruments’. In the 1970’s they had three plants near Nagoya area and produced more than 10,000 guitars per month for Domestic market and also for Overseas market, but now 1/8 that amount today. The Terada factory is now building hollow and semi-hollow body guitars for Epiphone as well as their own 'Thumb' brand guitars. At one point made Tobias bases prior to Tobias being sold to Gibson.

I don't know how much you paid for it, but IMHO, this one is very special. It is a Jewel Blue so the model is a R540JB. I have one exactly like it except it has a lo-pro and is an '89. I would be interested in other views, but in my opinion the trem should be parellel to the body.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

thanks, i looked it up on that site as well. but didn't the 540r not come out until 1987? that's why the 1980 date seems odd. i'm pretty sure it has the wrong neckplate on it.

i paid $410 shipped for it, which I think is a pretty good deal... i'll take more pics tomorrow. the trem looks like it might be in the right spot but i really don't know! if i make it parallel i don't think i will be able to pull up on it at all.

not sure if i mentioned it, but it has that tremsetter thing in it as well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 AM

i had the same guitar.bleu!great guitar very fine!you dont see it very often but its a superb guitar!they stoped making it and made the satriani model(its the same)the trem setter is a useless thing.why is it in it?i dont know.never used it.
you have fun with it for sure!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 AM

i had the same guitar.bleu!great guitar very fine!you dont see it very often but its a superb guitar!they stoped making it and made the satriani model(its the same)the trem setter is a useless thing.why is it in it?i dont know.never used it.
you have fun with it for sure!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM

It's an early '88. The BackStop tremsetter only came on that year guitar. Same with the small dot inlays. Good price for a good guitar.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks ashbass. i checked the neck today, it says PRO-580B on it. Seems very hard to find info on the 580B, but I like the neck a lot. I really don't mind that it's got a different neck, as it feels good.

Sorry no pics today, will definitely take them tomorrow. Today I polished the frets, oiled the board, and put on new strings. Looks SOOOOOO good!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

well since i had all the tension off the neck there is a little more bow now than before. take off the truss rod cover and boom! no allen key here. i need a spanner wrench now for this biatch. any chain hardware stores where i can get one or do i need to order them?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

there are now pictures in hurr
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Damn nice. Love it!! Congratz!!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 04:02 PM

nice score i love mine.... maybe the backstop is preventing your pull ups????

i have never owned a guitar with one.

Tags
540r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez 540r rare sk
is the 540r the best ibanez
ibanez 540r worth anything?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode