NGD: '89 540R HH in Jewel Blue - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

NGD: '89 540R HH in Jewel Blue

It's been about 7 years since I've seen a 540R HH JB on ebay. I had one and sold it way back then. Realized mistake. Then there were none. Then, in two days time, two of them pop up on ebay. I never saw the first one until it was over. It ended the night before I saw this one. Good for me because I'd have bit for that first one, but the second one is nicer.

To the photos!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Re: NGD: '89 540R HH in Jewel Blue

I miss mine. It was candy apple red.
I was 19, broke and had to sell it.

That one's in great shape!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM

switch the knobs back! love that color
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
switch the knobs back! love that color
These notched speed knobs rule. I have them on all of my guitars except the two that use concentric pots and my squier strat. I never dug the Ibanez strategy of "turn the knob some and guess where you end up," anyway. Yess. These are quite precious.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 PM

Damn that is awesome!!!!!!!!! Nice score. I'm not even playing 540's now but man that is nice!!!

HNGD!!!!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 AM

Hm, Quad Rail pups that came in MIK Kramers in the late 90s and SD Triple Shots, how's the tone?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Hm, Quad Rail pups that came in MIK Kramers in the late 90s and SD Triple Shots, how's the tone?
It had a bridge quad rail and a IBZ/USA F2 in the neck when I got it. I liked the quad rail. It was bright and punchy. The F2 went in another guitar that I sold and I bought a quad rail bridge and neck on ebay for $45 shipped. Again, the bridge sounded good. But the neck was horrible. With the triple shots I could get all options for the pup and when split both halves sounded good. Parallel sounded weak like parallel always does. And series was muddy woof city. Pickup height made no difference except in loudness of the mud.

So I pulled the neck out and put the extra bridge quad rail in its place. After fiddling with pickup height I got it in a good spot and can live with it. Single notes sound good now from the neck. I can hear the tone of the bridge pup but with a little neck flavor added. Chords with the neck are still too thick.

One of the few wiring diagrams for quad rails that I found showed the bridge wired in series and the neck wired in parallel. I thought that it was just showing options to wire them up, but after playing through that neck pup I think that having it wired in parallel was the recommended installation.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Happy NGD that's a gorgeous guitar, good job finding it
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
I never dug the Ibanez strategy of "turn the knob some and guess where you end up,".
I'm with you...I like numbered knobs too... anyhoo, great guitar and I love the color! congratulations!!!
doriangrey is online  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

The color is nice. So deep in person but in these photos the color doesn't come across. Here's a photo from back when I had another Jewel Blue HH. The color in this photo is much more what the guitar looks like in person. The one I have now is so blue it looks purple sometimes.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Reviews: 10

wow, nice collection!
doriangrey is online  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
wow, nice collection!
Thanks. That was in 2007. Those are all gone now.

I am back to six ibanez guitars now though. Time for another family photo. Funny, now I have 4 HH and 2 Hss. My tastes have changed.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
These notched speed knobs rule. I have them on all of my guitars except the two that use concentric pots and my squier strat. I never dug the Ibanez strategy of "turn the knob some and guess where you end up," anyway. Yess. These are quite precious.
I love the feel of them, but they look very obtrusive on the radius body!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I love the feel of them, but they look very obtrusive on the radius body!
Yeah, they are louder on the blue one. The others I thought looked great from the get-go. But don't you worry; I'll get used to them.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
It had a bridge quad rail and a IBZ/USA F2 in the neck when I got it. I liked the quad rail. It was bright and punchy. The F2 went in another guitar that I sold and I bought a quad rail bridge and neck on ebay for $45 shipped. Again, the bridge sounded good. But the neck was horrible. With the triple shots I could get all options for the pup and when split both halves sounded good. Parallel sounded weak like parallel always does. And series was muddy woof city. Pickup height made no difference except in loudness of the mud.

So I pulled the neck out and put the extra bridge quad rail in its place. After fiddling with pickup height I got it in a good spot and can live with it. Single notes sound good now from the neck. I can hear the tone of the bridge pup but with a little neck flavor added. Chords with the neck are still too thick.

One of the few wiring diagrams for quad rails that I found showed the bridge wired in series and the neck wired in parallel. I thought that it was just showing options to wire them up, but after playing through that neck pup I think that having it wired in parallel was the recommended installation.
Yeah, high output ceramic buckers in the neck rarely work, especially when they're wound to 50k! Parallel is one way to make them more useable; I used to take them apart and do air mods, which dropped the output and made them clearer sounding. For the ones that have two small rail mags on the outside instead of plastic spacers, taking the outer mags out helps. A mag swap makes quite a difference too.

Quote:
Love the coppery one!

Tags
540r , radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode