<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Operation Ibanez RG To Relic Strat: 56k Take It Outside

ok lets get this out of the way right now, if you dont like relics hit your back button.

I use to run a website called Vintaged Guitars where I did relic work and made custom instruments, this all came to a end when the economy crashed and I just lost interest in doing the work. Anyways..

The bug has bitten me again and I wanted to relic a strat. I put this RG350 up in the For Sale section for weeks with no hits. So I decided since I cant trade for a strat what if I turned this RG into a strat.

Mandatory Before Shot:

First thing was to ditch the Dimarzio humbuckers, I am in the process of getting a pickguard made that will hold the 3 single Dragonfire single coils. I like the Dragonfire humbuckers so figured I would give these a shot. I ditched the stock mint covers and reliced a set of white covers.

Next up was to relic the knobs and switch

Got to use a Orange Drop cap on Strats its almost blasphemy not to

Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Re: Operation Ibanez RG To Relic Strat: 56k Take It Outside

Next up we are faced with aging Black hardware, for the record I never EVER used Muriatic acid for doing chrome parts on relics, why you ask? because it looks horrible LOL.

With that being said black parts tend to wear off more then dull down so it was a pain staking process to find what yielded the look I thought looked most natural I am happy with the results.

Since I am a smoker had to get the cigarette burn in there somewhere

More of the metal parts aged.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM

More pics of the aged metals.

Notice for the sake of authenticity that the screw that protrudes the most has the most wear, its the little details that make a relic a good one.

Oh the maple neck were going to have fun with you, most relics on maple necks really go way overboard, with heavy gouges, deep wear, unrealistic playing areas etc. On this guitar I am aiming for a player that is like me and is basically on the first 10 frets. I am no a big soloist so there is no need for aging that area of the fretboard. Again I want this to be convincing that its been played hard for years.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM

On to the back of the neck, one thing I always hate about 90% of relics is they make the back of the neck one solid piece of aged wood from an unrealistic beginning wear area all the way past the nut usually, down to the base of the neck.

I carefully located my playing hand when doing open position chords, power chords, and barre chords, I payed attention to how when I went down the neck my thumb would also go lower and mimic'd this wear pattern. It is very realistic to how a real neck would age over time imho.

Finished headstock detail front and back

Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Now we are moving on to the body, and here is another step that means absolutely nothing with the pickguard on but on a real relic the area below the pickguard would NEVER be the damaged, so it should remain shiny as it was protected. Its a little step that takes a bit of work but the result again is trying to achieve authenticity.

Since we are dealing with a Poly body the relic marks on this would be from pretty big hits, maybe leaning up against the walls at your local gig, concrete floor, you name it, there will not be extensive forearm or back wear since you would wear your skin off before you wore the poly down LOL.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Finally we have a full back shot with the custom cut backplate, this took fricking forever to do, I used a bandsaw which had a blade not meant for cutting plastic LOL, some rasps, and a ton of sandpaper.

Full shot of the front awaiting the pickguard I am having made which needs to be aged, then we can move forward.

And finally as it sits right now waiting...

Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Look good to me, fun project!

Peace

Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
(a)

I am in no way tearing down your work which looks awesome for what you are doing but...Ibanez HAD escaped the whole relicing thing, the scratches and dents came naturally through playing but all it took was Ibanez to issue 1 relic and now perfectly good Ibanez's are going to meet their pristine doom.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM

ive been doing Ibanez relics way before Ibanez 14 years or so ago was my first relic job.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Reviews: 21

Did you wear the frets down artificially or just age the board? That looks like some bad fretwear for a newer model guitar.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm liking this. My favorite shot is the back of the neck - it really does look realistic! Especially after taking a glance at my oldest axes.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
ive been doing Ibanez relics way before Ibanez 14 years or so ago was my first relic job.
Just have not seen many, I guess the latest craze has just brought more attention to those that have been doing it awhile.

I'm just one of those guys who wants to do it naturally.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Wow, this is quite impressive. I really like the detailed attention you paid during this project! However...I could never bring myself to do that to a new guitar...you're crazy XD
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Why cover the serial number.... sigh...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM

temporarily mounted everything to the old guard and got the wiring buttoned up.

Tags
aged, evo, ibanez, relic, vintage

Show/Hide Posting Rules