Right... good read... ok, here goes..
1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.
For this project, I wanted to build up a 540p like the one I used to have when I was a kid and played a lot of 80s rock/metal through it. I'd like it to be versatile enough to play things like Dokken/Great White/Skid Row/Living Color/GnR/Cinderella/Poison/etc but also things on the heavier side like earlier Metallica, Pantera, and Megadeth.
I'm not doing any recording or anything serious like that and I depend on my ADA MP-1 and other rack effects pretty heavily too.
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry
I mainly use two of my smaller amps. One is a Peavy Studio Pro 112 and the other is a Fender stereo chorus. As I mentioned above, i use an ADA MP-1 and I also have a couple of older ART rack effects as well.
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Is it a trem or hardtail?
B. maple or rosewood board?
C. how many frets?
D. what controls are on it?
E. What type of wood is you body made from?
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard?
It's a 540p body with a 540s neck. The body should be Alder if its true to the 540 specs. I just bought it and it hasn't arrived yet so I can confirm this after its in my hands. I'm just pre-planning the build.
a) It's got an edge trem
b) the neck is from a sabre, so, it should be maple with a rosewood board on it.
c) 22 frets.
d) there are 3 micro switches, 1 vol knob, 1 tone knob
f) i believe theyre direct mounted
1) 1. Why are you changing your pickups? So many times I see people wanting to change their pickups because they think they HAVE to based on other peoples advice. What is it that YOU don't like about your current pups? What would you like to be different in a set of new ones?
I purchased the guitar with no pickups, and I just wanted to put something cool in there instead of just trying to find the original pickup set. I figured this would be a good opportunity to build up something I could use as a solid player guitar, so, I wanted to purchase/setup a nice pickup combination.
2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why? Do you have previous experience with that brand, or maybe a bad experience with another brand? Are you going on someone's advice or on your own research??
No, nothing specific, I'm not a label whore when it comes to pickups... yet... I could EMG, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, etc .. whatever.. was just hoping I could soak up some of the knowledge/experience/trial-and-error of others on here.
3. Often times people think they need new pups because their guitar is making funny noises, or sounding weak....... sometimes there's nothing wrong with their pups. Sometimes it's other electrical problems like a loose jack, a dirty pot or switch, a loose or broken solder joint...... etc. If you DO have a problem like this.....DESCRIBE IT IN DETAIL. Guitar electronics are actually very easy to fix yourself.
No, it's nothing like that, I'm just building one up and wanted some input/advice from the Ibanez experts on here.
I recently got back into playing, so, sorry if some of these are noob questions or ive answered ridiculously in any way above.