PL2660 CI - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Question PL2660 CI

Good evening everyone,

I have been looking for a PL2660 of any color [white, black, or cherry ice] for a little while, as it would be perfect for a project that I am presently involved with. One happened to pop up on ebay the other day, Cherry Ice in color. Supposedly, it is a case queen, it looks in good shape from the photos, but there is no way to certify that it has only been played four times in 31 years. Lol. It is also supposedly signed by Vivian Campbell, which while a great guitarist, does not increase the value to me in any way. Even if this is truly a case queen, I am going to play it, and swap out the pick ups. It was originally a BIN of $2,900 or so, and now the BIN is $1,998. It seems like these go for the $800 to $1000 US normally, so I made a best offer a bit of above that range, and the seller made a counter-offer that is a little higher than my offer, which I felt was already on the high side. After doing some research I see it was posted for sale in 2012 for $1200 US. I'm very torn, stick to my guns and wait for another one, or over pay for this one that is supposedly in great condition. As long as the instrument is functional and structurally sound, I do not care about cosmetics. Secondly the color does not really matter to me, so I just don't know. Sigh....Since I have only been on the look out for one for a little while, how often do these pop up? Instant gratification verses getting a great deal I guess. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: PL2660 CI

Well, we came to an agreement that I could live with. Probably still over paid, but its on its way. Pretty excited!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 AM

I would have told you to go for it. Congrats on your score.

Not sure I would touch those pickups but it is your guitar you can do what you want.

My most recent Ibanez V is a black 1660 which I picked up in January, and it's the highest cash amount that I have paid for any guitar that I own. I knew that if I passed on it I would not find another black one in this shape because I have spent 20 years looking and the only ones I've seen had paint issues or banged up corners or replaced parts of some kind. This one is great, the only thing that was hard to swallow was the fact it didn't have the boomerang shaped strap clips and those cost a nut per piece from dirty pirates on you know where. I've considered buyin a $300 Roadstar just to take those clips off of it but often the plating is a different color on those. I will worry about it later. At any rate, this PL1660 was a 10 hour return trip by rail, with a larger cash sum than I was hoping to pay for it, and this trip was done in sub-zero weather... but it was worth it dammit.

I would love a black 2660 or RR1000. I have been solicited a 1976 and 1977 Rocket Roll in played but nice shape and both are missing pickup covers, but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper and a lil more soulless and still no luck. 2 people shopping me their 1976 and 1977 RRs, but I continue to fish for a PL2660 or RRII RR1000. Really hard to find either of those. Even on Greedybay they do not turn up that often.

The 1660 is easy to find, but the 1986 model is more of a challenge. I have a Cherry Ice PL1660, and actually another one as well although I painted it sometime around 1995 so that one is no longer pink. I got the other pink one many years later after I had established a collection of pointy Ibanez guitars with several being 1660s. They practically grow on trees compared to some of the other Ibanez models of Vs from around the same time.

No PL2660 here yet but if one became available I would probably not be finicky about the color. They seem to originate in Japan mostly. I see similar things with old 70s Roland synth string organs. Japan is churning some of these out like there is a factory still making them, where as over here the pickings are slim and markup is insane.

I don't use Ebay at all. I just browse.

Last edited by comaphobe; 03-23-2017 at 06:36 AM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:22 AM

Nice! I'm vaguely on the lookout for one too, pink or white.

Yes, they don't come along very often. As you say $800-1000 is the usual for these, depending on the condition. I think $1200 is what they cost when they just came out - a reason they didn't sell, being as or more expensive than US guitars at the time.

Wish Ibanez would reissue some of these 1986 guitars, they were really good!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Nice! I'm vaguely on the lookout for one too, pink or white.

Yes, they don't come along very often. As you say $800-1000 is the usual for these, depending on the condition. I think $1200 is what they cost when they just came out - a reason they didn't sell, being as or more expensive than US guitars at the time.

Wish Ibanez would reissue some of these 1986 guitars, they were really good!
I paid $900, maybe a little more + shipping for my white one and that had all the case candy (stuff I've never seen before at that). That was what, 3-4 yrs ago? Problem is they are so rare that it's had to establish a trend on what they go for. I think the guy was a little light on the price on mine. I thought maybe $1000-$1100 would have been fair. To this day It's the most solid, THICK, sustaining guitar I've ever played. I got a neck through peavey destiny with a IBZ F3 in it and it doesn't hold a candle to the 2660. Those V series pickups are just awesome
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I paid a bit more than that. I guess I will have to await its arrival to see if I got a good deal or not. You are totally right in terms of a true estimated value. They do not pop up every day, so much of their worth is tied to that. Its supposed to be here soon, so I will post pics once it arrives.

Last edited by tobe; 04-05-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
I paid $900, maybe a little more + shipping for my white one and that had all the case candy (stuff I've never seen before at that). That was what, 3-4 yrs ago? Problem is they are so rare that it's had to establish a trend on what they go for. I think the guy was a little light on the price on mine. I thought maybe $1000-$1100 would have been fair. To this day It's the most solid, THICK, sustaining guitar I've ever played. I got a neck through peavey destiny with a IBZ F3 in it and it doesn't hold a candle to the 2660. Those V series pickups are just awesome
Yeah, I remember when you got it . I've never played anything with the V5 pickups, though I imagine they sound pretty fat with those wide rails. The IBZ humbucker from the period is not bad, particularly the bridge model.

If they were being made today (in Japan, of course), I think they'd go for $2500-3000.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Well,

The PL2660 came last week, and it was pretty much in the shape the seller stated it to be in. The guitar needs a set up and neck adjustment really bad, it frets out on the 5th fret right now, but cosmetically, it is in sweet shape for a 31 year old guitar. The neck is super fast and comfortable. Got all the original case candy with it, and the guitar barely looks played at all. I am going to work on the set up in the next couple of weeks, and get a set of war pigs for it. Pretty excited to it ready to rock \m/

Last edited by tobe; 04-05-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: pics....arrrghhh!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 PM

Can you get that signature to rub off?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Can you get that signature to rub off?
Yeah, I think so. I haven't tried yet. There is no proof that Vivian signed it, and I sure did not buy it for the sig. Lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:06 AM

Sweetness...

I've seen this one come up for sale a few times, with no takers, so well done on taking the plunge and getting a minty axe in the process .
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Sweetness...

I've seen this one come up for sale a few times, with no takers, so well done on taking the plunge and getting a minty axe in the process .
Thank you! I negotiated a deal I could live with, even if it was still higher than I thought it was worth. The final price was no where near the original BIN of $2900 or the second BIN of $1999. Once its set up, its going to be a blast to play.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode