<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Re: Quality of Ibanez, Flame on..

I've gotten flamed elsewhere over my opinions about the quality of guitars depending where it is made. Of course, they skim over the part where I say "if you like XXXXX made guitars, be my guest, who am I to tell you not to play it".

Collector said "Rich stocks high end because we created it". As guitar players, I think we're all bred to move on to what's better for us as we need it. I moved on to Carvin because that's what I need right now. Off the rack guitars don't cut it for me anymore and that's the biggest reason of all that I stopped buying Ibanez and sold a good chunk of my collection. They're simply not what I want in guitars at this point in my life and my playing.

Far as country of origin, someone on another forum stated to me that China and Indonesia are where Japan was in the 70's. Japan stuff was crap and a real player wouldn't get caught dead with an Ibanez or a Yamaha or whatever other Japanese makers there were at the time. Turns out those Ibbys and Yamahas weren't so bad after all. In 40 years, will the world look back and say "Hey, them Ibanez Chinese made RG's aren't so bad!". We have no idea.

Any company making guitars in China or Indonesia or even Korea...they're not looking to make quality guitars there. They're looking for profit. Things are made cheap and fast and get it the hell out there. You can't blame them as many types of products moved to production there and it's make it fast, make it cheap, make them buy another one in 3-5 years when it breaks where in the old days it would last 20 years.

If you like that RG120, as I stated and by all means, rock that sucker out. I'm buying and playing Carvins because that's what I want right now. I have six builds in the process currently. I may even sell off a few of the remaining Ibanez just because I'm not going to play them anymore beyond just plugging them in for the hell of it. I haven't played an Ibanez in 6 months and yesterday I plugged in my RG560 and it just felt so...strange. That was my main guitar from '87 - '91. That one I would never get rid of for sentimental reasons but still...I don't think I would ever use it regularly again.

Another long rant from 'ol man Jack. Sum it up. There's hits and there's misses and sometimes you gotta do something to it to make a miss into a hit. Hell, sometimes you can make a hit into a miss. If a $300 Chinese made Washburn Dime suits someone for that time, no one can tell them their wrong.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
But there's a reason why you don't see a lot of GIOs in pro touring rigs.

there is also a reason why a ton of bands are bankrupt and on behind the music LOL excess baby, rockstar excess. LMAO

There is a ton of gigging musicians that dont use boutique or high end guitars.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM
(a)
Vendor

Not being defensive at all, just addressing points as I see fit

A Hermes bag just sold for $190,000. Was it worth it? Sure, because the lady that's carrying it wants everybody to know her status and that carrying a bag worth more than your house is one of the ways she wants to show it. Not that the Bentley she stepped out of didn't already say enough to the rest of us, but to the billionaire set, the purse would mean more than the car .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Exactly my point sorta haha its a status thing more then a functional thing. Could she have carried her lady candy in a $40 leather bag of course but she wanted the world to see she had a $200k bag.

Same applies here, I still think some put a emotional attachment to the price more then the gear. It costs more, It has to be better.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM

I see the point being made and I'd have to agree. I have a couple high end guitars and a bunch of low enders and love them all. I think a guitar's over all sound is greater than the sum of its parts. I had an epi LP jr that I got for 70 bucks. When I plugged that thing in, there was magic. I've come across cheap ibby necks that play like butter. I've got a ply strat copy that I wouldn't trade for a fender. A good set up is KEY...now if that trem stands up to a few weeks of abuse is another story
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
(a)
Vendor

It was an alligator and "something" exotic with platinum hardware and diamonds, the finest craftsmanship money can buy, etc etc etc. You can't compare to any $2000 bag much less the crap my ex would haul around. Lets not get pretentious, quality is quality, bags or guitars, and to try and deny there is no differentce in quality would be a serious injustice to everything in this world that is quality. Do they both do the same job? Sure, some just do it better
Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not that the Bentley she stepped out of didn't already say enough to the rest of us, but to the billionaire set, the purse would mean more than the car .
No pun intended, but I feel sorry for these people!
I'm not saying what my profession is, but I'm certainly not poor. I could NEVER sink that far.
I want what I(!!!!!) want, not what others want me to have.

Poor suckers, they know nothing about enjoying life!!

But heck, that's the way many people are.

We would be stupid to follow that line!

My advice: like what you like and be happy with it! Don't care about what others say or think! YOU are the person to care about, NOT THE OTHERS!!!

Believe me: one day might(!!) be the day when you lose everything for a tiny medical reason. This tiny reason might have a gigantic influence on your life! THEN(!!) you'll definitely know, what's important and what's not!!!

I can tell from my own experience: it's definitely NOT IMPORTANT, what others think about your stuff! The most important thing is: YOU(!!) are happy with it and it makes you SMILE!!!!

F**** all that flaming, all that snobistic behaviour!!

Just have the balls to say: I f****ing like this! F**** off!! Because on one day this might be the only stuff you have left and which REALLY(!!!) makes you happy and makes you FEEL GOOD!

Last edited by Jemanized; 01-08-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
(a)

What is this like the 16,000 post dealing with the great deal cheap guitars and and what a waste higher end stuff is?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
there is also a reason why a ton of bands are bankrupt and on behind the music LOL excess baby, rockstar excess. LMAO

There is a ton of gigging musicians that dont use boutique or high end guitars.
Name me one band that's bankrupt because they bought too many J-Customs.

And boutique guitars aren't necessary. There's probably a hundred guys on this forum who are gigging musicians who use stock RG570s or equivalent. But I doubt you're going to find many who actually MAKE A LIVING playing guitar who favor the RG120 over something more high-end. Unless they're in a Weezer tribute band or some crap, and then it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
What is this like the 16,000 post dealing with the great deal cheap guitars and and what a waste higher end stuff is?
Yes. It's just like that. Trying to educate the next generation. It's not working.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:33 PM

trying to educate the next generation hahaha im almost 40 not 10.

99% of you fail to understand the whole fricking point of this thread LMAO maybe I need to educate you, it was don't put something down before you even try it which is what a ton of people have been doing as of late, making opinions base on nothing versus real time opinions
Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
trying to educate the next generation hahaha im almost 40 not 10.

99% of you fail to understand the whole fricking point of this thread LMAO maybe I need to educate you, it was don't put something down before you even try it which is what a ton of people have been doing as of late, making opinions base on nothing versus real time opinions
I've haven't put anything down I haven't tried except the Chinese Fireman and I don't think I've seen a proper review from someone who bought it or even been told the kind of mahogany used for the body.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM

I think most of the contrary opinions you've gotten in this thread have been from people who have the exact experience you're talking about. Pretty sure most people on here have experience with inexpensive guitars to some degree. We all had to start somewhere, right? I've even done my share of budget build-ups. Heck, I've got an RX240 in my closet modded with an AT pickup, jumbo frets (ball-ends, of course), and a Wilkinson trem. But it's no AT100, and I never play it. Like several of the guys have posted (including me), if you like what you've got, that's all that matters. Why get worked up over what someone else thinks?

And I'm OVER 40, sonny. Hey, it's just a conversation. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. No offense intended.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM

OK, I'm outing myself now: I'm 46 and a half ...... and unfortunately very intelligent and highly educated.

Am I disqualified now??

*just kidding*
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Collector, it would seem that in your quest to be open-minded about cheap guitars, you have become closed-minded to expensive guitars and to the opinions of those who prefer them. I respect your opinion of your guitar and am fully convinced that you believe it to be of a quality equal to a guitar 5X it's worth. That does not mean that other people will feel that same way. Anytime an argument has been made for higher end guitars in this thread, you seem to almost denigrate those opinions.

I have played guitar for 30+ years now and have had my share of cheap and expensive guitars, many different models. I worked in a shop for several years and sold many Ibanez guitars. I can absolutely tell the difference between a 120 and a higher quality instrument. I am sure there are some people out there who really can't feel the difference in quality or don't want to let themselves believe that they can (for financial or whatever other reason). This is fine. That is why these price points are being met by producers. I will say that the fit and finish of low end guitars being produced today is a vast improvement on what was being sold even 10 years ago. This level of guitar today, with a decent setup, can be a whole lot easier/more fun to play than in the old days.

I am not saying that this is good or bad, just saying that it is a fact.

Tags
ibanez, jem, premium, prestige, quality

Show/Hide Posting Rules