<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM

Re: Re Issue RGXXX and SXXX Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
i'm pretty sure that's not a 470, looks like an rg770.

rich
Thats "EXACTLY" what it is!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 AM

Well I made the "impulse" decision and bought an RG1XXV in obnoxious yellow from guitar center for $684, no discounts or coupons or anything.

-The neck is very nice, frets have been shown some nice attention, it really feels like I can fly around the neck a bit more than on my other RGs and S's.

-Pickups sound good. Very medium output. There isn't a better way to describe it than "medium output" but very clear, nothing harsh going on, getting some good 80s Racer X tones with them. I was honestly a bit impressed with them, I didn't think they would be any good.

-The Edge Zero 2 is pretty cool. Haven't really gotten it dialed in yet, but ill get to that later.

Cons:

-Looked over the ENTIRE guitar at the store, except the infamous neck joint.

-Got it home, has a 1 inch hairline crack where the neck joint is. Just like Evo, and tons of other RGs out there.

-I didn't put that crack there, which is why it's a con.

-Looks sick under a black light, except for the inlays. They sadly don't glow, neither does the middle pickup. Not sure why Ibanez went this route. Either way, it's not a big deal, just making a note of it.

-Had to fight with the guy at guitar center for 10 min about the trem bar. He gave me a chrome one stating it was the right one because the threads fit and that "all ibanez guitars these days have chrome bars and the black ones are only in catalogs for marketing purposes" After the GC manager told me that it's the "right bar that comes with the trem, 100% sure" I gave up and took the stupid chrome bar.

Only other con is that I will say that if you look VERY closely, you can see a black dot here or there in the finish, which I have read others saying too. On the model I received there are no dots on the front, only one by the neck joint crack and one on the back. I can't seem to find anymore, they are so small its really something you need to look for close up. It's not a big deal in anyway.

-----Aftermath:
After debating keeping it, I decided to take it back to GC and exchange for a replacement, without the crack.

They tried to convince me that "It's only the finish, and purely cosmetic...you should just keep it"

They then tried to convince me to exchange it for a Pink one, because it was the only one they had left.

After calling every store in my region (Pacific NW) that had one in stock, they finally found one with no dings. (one store actually had one with a ding in the back the size of an index finger, asking me if i still wanted it)

The deal I made with them is to order a new one, and Id hold on to this one until the replacement came, but I wanted the correct whammy bar.

I once again was given the wrong whammy bar, it's black, but it doesn't have the grooves that lock into the trem that the new EZ2 is supposed to have. Pretty sure it's the wrong bar, if someone can confirm this it would be great. Had to fight with the guy for ever on that one.

So, as it stands my final impression is...I'm happy with it, but I want one that isn't dinged or cracked from the factory. I know, it's guitar center. But I am an impulse person, and this place is my hell.

I'm going to keep it for sure once I get the replacement as long as everything is ok...I'm happy with it. They did a good job on it. Good bang for the buck. For paying less than my S770, it plays way nice, and has a better build quality to it.

Sorry for the rant, tee hee.
-Wayde
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM

Reviews: 130

I picked up an RG3XXVLB. VERY close to the original RG565 with a couple noticeable differences:

Wizard III necks is thicker than original edge, more like an old JEM neck--just a little more meat to it in a "C" shape--very comfortable.

Mine came set up almost perfectly out of the box.

I think the RG3XXV is the class of the field. Even though the colors aren't as extreme, it comes STANDARD with Edge Zero II with Zero Point System (excellent for tuning stability), REAL Dimarzio pickups (D-Activator bridge, Air Norton S neck), reverse color-matched headstock... All of the things that made the 565 great. The original 565 came with an original Edge variant and Ibanez pickups modeled after the old Mega-Drive bridge and some small form factor neck humbucker. The wiring is a little strange in the old 565 and maybe Rich can chime in on how it was actually wired. The new RG3 is wired fairly standard as one would expect from an H-H guitar except position 2 has the neck pickup wired in parallel.

All things considered, I think this thing is a steal and a great grab for anyone who always wanted a 565 but never got one.

Cheers,

Race
Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 7

Race, my I ask what you paid for yours? I'm curious?
Thanks
Tim

Tags
and others, re issue rg, s series

Show/Hide Posting Rules