<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Replacement bridge for RG3EX1?

I have an RG3EX1 with the basic Ibanez fixed bridge, and I have to say, I'm not a big fan of it(the bridge, not the guitar). So I was wondering if I have any options for putting another bridge on it? I'm sure my options, if any, are pretty limited. A Gibraltar standard looks like it would maybe be my best option but I don't know if even that's very feasible.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Re: Replacement bridge for RG3EX1?

What don't you like about it in particular? The bridge on that guitar is a cheaply made clone of the Gotoh version found on the PGM 301s, etc. As I understand that is a direct swap.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

My main gripe is how uncomfortable it is on my hand, so I wanted something smoother. At the very least I need to get shorter saddle height screws if I don't replace it. I've gotten more used to it, but they still bother the side of my right hand. Is the Gotoh any smoother?

I was just looking on allparts.com for shorter screws and have no idea what to get, for example "#6-32" or "#4-40", etc. Does anyone know what the proper ones would be?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 120

You could just file or grind the screws that are on the guitar maybe?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

The tight-end bridge is also another option. You may have to use new screw locations, but the base should cover the old ones.

LonePhantom had mentioned the Gotoh GTC101 which is a very good bridge and a direct swap, but you'll probably have the same problem with the saddle height screws.

The tight-end bridge:

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
(a)

If all your screws are too high you could try putting a shim in the heel of the neck pocket. That would change the neck angle and allow you to raise the saddles.... Just another option to try out... and cheaper than a new bridge
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
If all your screws are too high you could try putting a shim in the heel of the neck pocket. That would change the neck angle and allow you to raise the saddles.... Just another option to try out... and cheaper than a new bridge
I thought of that, but I think for now I'm going to just cut/file/grind the current screws down to a height where they don't stick up.

I'm used to playing with pretty much nothing but a tune-o-matic for quite a while. But I have to say , I'm really liking the look of that Tight End.

See how bad it is currently? And yes, I know it's filthy. I dust under and between my pickups every day it seems. In almost no time at all while playing a layer of **** starts to build up.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
I had to do this on my RG2EX2. Worked like a charm.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I had to do this on my RG2EX2. Worked like a charm.
Yeah I had to do it with my RG421 also... It got the screws either flush with the top of the saddles or recessed a little.

If I was the OP I'd take the neck off and make sure some genius didn't put a shim in the front of the neck pocket, then put one in the heel for the hell of it...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatopsis View Post
I thought of that, but I think for now I'm going to just cut/file/grind the current screws down to a height where they don't stick up.
Why not buy shorter screws?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 21

Yeah it looks like you could do with a neck shim if you're trying to get your action that low without success.
I had to replace the Gotoh clone on my RG3EXQM1. I got a real Gotoh from Stewmac and, no problem, it was a direct swap. The original clone version had cheaply milled screws that would feel like they were cuting up my right hand. The saddle intonation screws themselves were cheap too. One kept slipping off which is why I switched to the Gotoh.
Not a bad guitar once you fix them up.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Yeah it looks like you could do with a neck shim if you're trying to get your action that low without success.
I had to replace the Gotoh clone on my RG3EXQM1. I got a real Gotoh from Stewmac and, no problem, it was a direct swap. The original clone version had cheaply milled screws that would feel like they were cuting up my right hand. The saddle intonation screws themselves were cheap too. One kept slipping off which is why I switched to the Gotoh.
Not a bad guitar once you fix them up.
The action is fine the way it is now so I think I'm just going to end up getting shorter screws; like yours, they definitely grind the side of your hand. And yeah, overall I'm happy with the guitar. I got is barely used for $200. Definitely replacing the bridge pickup soon too though. It doesn't really like being tuned down to B. Thanks for the input guys.

Tags
rg fixed bridge

Show/Hide Posting Rules