Rg350Dx/Ex - Page 5 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Re: Rg350Dx/Ex

Then I would say that it's not a bad idea you have there. You might consider picking up a slightly used model if you're just going to mod it though because the non-prestige guitars don't hold their value nearly as well so you could probably save about a hundred bucks on a guitar that's barely been played.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:04 PM

Just curious if anybody knows if I will need to reroute the guitar if I put in a '92 Original Edge or a '05 Edge Pro. Going to purchase one soon and dont' want to deal with the low quality trems, thus wanting to put in one of the two listed.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM

This thread is a bit old, but I'll put my two cents in anyhow..

I currently own a RG350EX -- I bought it about 15 months ago, and at first I loved it. My first Ibanez. But, while performing a setup on it, I noticed several key issues which left me sorely unimpressed with the guitar.

This is obviously their bargain basement RG.. Korea, $399 price tag.. and, the guy from Vital Remains plays one?!?! (While going through pics of a gig my friend went to, he had both pics of that gig, as well as pics of our recent gig.. I found something interesting.. Two frontal shots of the RG350EX.. One of them was me, the other, was the guitarist from Vital Remains. I guess even death metallers have to play on a budget.)

Here are my rants:

The nut was not level. It is not even centered properly. On the 6th string side it is considerably higher than on the 1st string side, you can actually see about .5 mm of binding on the 6th string side where you could not see any on the 1st! Needless to say I had to shim that side to even it out at the expense of action. I was actually having buzz on the top two strings, thus making a shim necessary.

While re assembling the guitar, not one, but TWO of the holes for the neck screws completely stripped out. I had to use toothpicks and glue, and one of them only torques down to a few inch-pounds, which is barely snug. Luckily the neck hasn't flung off or gotten any looser, but it was deeply aggravating to see this on a brand new guitar.. Korean as it is, once again, my Mexican strat has better quality.

At a gig I somehow managed to literally rip the strap lug out of the body while becoming slightly "impassioned" during a solo.. Lovely.. They give you absolutely inadequate screws... Yes, my Mexican strat has longer screws.

The tremolo .. Ok. It's a Edge III - which means, Ibanez took advantage of the FR patent expiration by making their own lower-cost copy.

I play in C#, and I like Hybrid Slinky strings, though sometimes I'll just play "Regular slinky" 10's, this requires that I have somewhat loose tension on 3 springs, as 2 springs will just not work, period, and I have the tremolo set as close to perfect neutral as possible.. Some how I managed to loosen a screw too much and guess what? the spring tension literally ripped it out of the body. WTF? Basswood is evidently a poor material, come to think of it I think my strat is Alder.. But honestly, I have no idea.. I just know, my strat has MUCH longer tremolo screws.. so guess what?? My $400 RG350EX has been basically rebuilt with parts from my cannibalized strat because the stock hardware was completely inadequate.

Now that I have finally assembled a decent guitar, I do rather enjoy it.. It hasn't broken yet, the longer tremolo and strap bolts have definitely proven their usefulness, so with my choice of light guage strings and low tuning I can still have a perfect-neutral bridge position, dive bomb and bend-up without string breakage, and it really does hold its tune.

Do I have any other gripes? Maybe it's just my style, but I've somehow managed to completely wear off the mirror finish on the pickguard, revealing a blotchy spot of black plastic... and ... heh.. I have rubbed through the chrome on a couple of the string saddles revealing COPPER.

Quality.

Bottom line is, this guitar needs a VERY thorough setup and inspection. EXTREME caution must be taken when removing any screws because it's more than likely that the basswood body will just strip out.

REPLACE your tremolo screws with beefier, longer tremolo screws (Strats have very long and perfectly suited screws). REPLACE your strap bolts with longer beefier screws or you WILL have an accident.

oh and make sure you tighten up the whammy bar otherwise it will flop all over the place, pull out when you pull up, and cause your whole bridge to erratically vibrate from the looseness. You should do this with at least every string change, but definitely before gigs. Just remove the springs, gently let the tension off of the bridge, remove it, and with the bar inserted, snug up the two hex screws, that will keep your bar nice and solid...

My $.02 (notice that's .02 dollars, or 2 cents, not .02 cents, or $.0002 dollars)

Old 12-22-2006, 10:50 AM

Played a new 370dx and it was garbage. Played like crap, the neck felt like plastic. The edge III was worse than my TRS, very stiff and cheap feeling, hate that pop in arm with no bushings. The guitar reeks of cheap. For a little bit more you can get a nice used RG1570 than what one of these cost new, and by the time you replace the pickups and fix whats wrong with them, might as well just get a 1570.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan View Post
Hey guys (first post )!

I was just wondering what you guys thought about a little project I'm thinking of doing... I plan on buying a RG350EX and hotrodding it to the max... I plan on getting a gold OFR, gold knobs, a gold Kahler "Behind the Nut" nut, gold Sperzels, a black pickgaurd, and a DiMarzio Evolution/HS-2/Air Norton combo. I made it in a virtual guitar maker, and this is what it would look like (the guitar maker didn't have neck binding or sharkteeth inlays, but I got it as close as I could )

I did a (very) rough summary of how much it would all cost and it came out to about $850. What do you guys think of this little project?
May I know what virtual guitar make you use?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:54 PM

I was just wondering if you guys know how to lock the trem on the 350ex? its the edge 3. thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 PM

he used: http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/bookmark.asp
Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 PM

You talkin to me? that link doesnt work man. I really like this guitar but tuning is a pain compared to my real floyd rose on my warlock. Any locking ideas?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Do you mean block the trem? You could pick yourself up a tremol-no, or on the cheap cut up some wood and shape it to fit either side of the trem block in the cavity at the back.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
You talkin to me? that link doesnt work man. I really like this guitar but tuning is a pain compared to my real floyd rose on my warlock. Any locking ideas?
works when I click it and yes I was talking to you.

Try this: http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 AM

Why is it that my warlock with the floyd holds a tune so much better then the edge 3? Thanks for the help man
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal99 View Post
Why is it that my warlock with the floyd holds a tune so much better then the edge 3? Thanks for the help man
'cause the edge 3 is a cheaply made floyd copy. It isn't supposed to be as nice as other more expenisve trems that's why it's inexpensive. It's made of cheaper materials and a slightly inferior design.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 AM

oh lol well if I decide not to block it im going to try to put a floyd into it. Im glad that the guy at the music store was so honest and said that the edge 3 was the best trem ever to be made even better then the original floyd's or any licenced ones........ sales men at his best.

Thanks man
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart View Post
yeah, my main gripe is just the bar...its always sliding out!!!
Push your trem all the way forward and hold it, now take the small allen wrench (I Believe its silver) and look back into your trem area behind the bar area and you will see a small allen screw, tighten that (remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey) and that will hold your bar in place, trust me. I can do some massive whammy dives and my bar stays.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM

For my RG350DX, I wanted to get Super Distortions in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck. But for the middle, I was thinking a SD Hot-Rail. The only problem with that is that when you go to buy one, it gives you an option between bridge or neck. Which should I go for? Please don't tell me to get either/or, tell me what you all would do personally and why. Thanks in advance.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGD! RG350DX TruckstopChuckie Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 16 01-26-2011 10:01 PM
RG350DX + Lo Pro iBZnOrange Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-05-2008 02:04 PM
Rg350dx waylay00 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 13 06-22-2006 05:53 PM
Rg350dx eatsleepplayguitar Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 1 03-03-2006 12:08 PM
rg350dx guitarshredder7 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 36 09-01-2005 05:12 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29