RG550 vs RG470 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
wardner  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8  -  iTrader: (0)

RG550 vs RG470


Hi. I've been playing an RG550 for years. I think it's a 1990 (headstock same colour as body and V2, S1 and V1 pickups.)

I've been offered an RG470 but I'm having difficulty finding the spec. I'm pretty sure the headstock would be black even though the body's Reactor Blue. I can't find any mention of these prior to 1993 but I don't think the colour of the headstock ever followed the body even though back then the RG550s did. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As you can probably tell I think having the headstock the same colour as the body looks far better. Only my opinion.

What I do know about this RG470 is that the pickups are a V7, an S1, and a V8 and my main question is this. I haven't found any problem with the pickups in my RG550 when cranked for live (meaning they don't give unwanted feedback) and was wondering how the pickups in this RG470 would compare.

If there's anything else you think I should know please let me have it but I think apart from headstock colour and pickups, there's not too much difference between the 470 and 550. Fingerboard made from rosewood as apposed to maple and obvious omission of pickguard are two other noticeable differences I think.

I know from browsing around this forum if you guys (and gals) can't answer no one can.

Anyway, enough for now, sorry to ramble on so

Thanks

Justin
quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
damo7v  is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,152  -  iTrader: (10)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


minor difference: i believe the 470 will have an externally mounted output jack as opposed to the 550's recessed jack, and hence no extra cavity and plate on the rear.

(very poorly worded, i know. look at the back of the two.)
quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:47 AM
wardner  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
minor difference: i believe the 470 will have an externally mounted output jack as opposed to the 550's recessed jack, and hence no extra cavity and plate on the rear.

(very poorly worded, i know. look at the back of the two.)
damo, I know what you mean. Thanks
quote
 
  #4  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
jkahrs  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 477  -  iTrader: (6)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


The 470 more than likely has the Lo TRS (junk) tremolo, while the 550 has either an original Edge or Lo Pro Edge. That right there is enough reason to stick with the 550. The 470 will also have a Wizard II neck, where the 550 with have the original Wizard. --Jason
quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 AM
wardner  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
The 470 more than likely has the Lo TRS (junk) tremolo, while the 550 has either an original Edge or Lo Pro Edge. That right there is enough reason to stick with the 550. The 470 will also have a Wizard II neck, where the 550 with have the original Wizard. --Jason
jkahrs, thanks for your reply. I think my 550 has the original "old style" licensed under Floyd Rose patents trem.

When you say junk, i take you don't think they're very good?

I'll have a look for Wizard IIs on the net, but off the top of your head, are they the same dimension wise?

Thanks again

J
quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
machinediva  is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: I T A L Y
Posts: 157  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
The 470 more than likely has the Lo TRS (junk) tremolo, while the 550 has either an original Edge or Lo Pro Edge. That right there is enough reason to stick with the 550. The 470 will also have a Wizard II neck, where the 550 with have the original Wizard. --Jason

well, I think that jason already said it all
quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 AM
jkahrs  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seymour, Indiana
Posts: 477  -  iTrader: (6)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


The TRS tremolos are not as good as Edge Or Lo Pro Edge tremolos. (Better quality and materials.) It would take forever to get into the specifics. Just do a forum search and you'll be able to find all the info you need on the tremolos.
Another plus is your 550 has locking tremolo studs, where the 470 won't.

The dimensions are different between the Wizard and Wizard II necks. Wizard II's are 2mm thicker (19mm) at the 1st fret, and 1mm thicker (21mm) at the 12th fret. The fingerboard radius is 400mm on the Wizard II, and 430mm on the Wizard.

The 470 would be OK for a backup guitar, but getting rid of the 550 to get it would be a step down. --Jason
quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
wardner  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
The TRS tremolos are not as good as Edge Or Lo Pro Edge tremolos. (Better quality and materials.) It would take forever to get into the specifics. Just do a forum search and you'll be able to find all the info you need on the tremolos.
Another plus is your 550 has locking tremolo studs, where the 470 won't.

The dimensions are different between the Wizard and Wizard II necks. Wizard II's are 2mm thicker (19mm) at the 1st fret, and 1mm thicker (21mm) at the 12th fret. The fingerboard radius is 400mm on the Wizard II, and 430mm on the Wizard.

The 470 would be OK for a backup guitar, but getting rid of the 550 to get it would be a step down. --Jason
Excellent, thanks jkahrs. This would be a second guitar. I'll look up on the TRS trems but as long as it stayed in tune it would be fine.

I'll also consider the differences in neck dimensions.

Just the pickups to compare now. Did the V7s and V8s replace the V1s and V2s?
quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
(a)
Flobanez  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,514  -  iTrader: (1)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
The 470 more than likely has the Lo TRS (junk) tremolo, while the 550 has either an original Edge or Lo Pro Edge. That right there is enough reason to stick with the 550. The 470 will also have a Wizard II neck, where the 550 with have the original Wizard. --Jason
Gotta have the Lo Pro Edge. The TRS kinda sucks.
quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:49 AM
frankfalbo  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 1,893  -  iTrader: (24)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Everyone says the TRS "sucks" but you're forgetting something. If it has V7/V8 pickups, then it's probably a Japanese 470. That means it's a Japanese TRS, which is completely different than the Korean TRS and Lo-TRS that everyone complains about. The Japanese TRS style bridges are basically a good OFR copy, and the ones I've seen have been on par with the Gotoh and the OFR. I know it's a different trem, and I'd rather have the Gotoh, OFR, or any Edge variation, but it's still a completely usable trem. Locking studs would be a nice improvement, but not necessary.
quote
  #11  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 AM
King Knall  is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 2,445  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


I thought that the '03 and '04 models had the Edge Pro.
quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
sniperfrommars1  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, Kentucky
Posts: 3,336  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
I thought that the '03 and '04 models had the Edge Pro.
well the old school 470 is a piece of pooh unless its the japanese version, not all of the 470's were made in japan.
quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Thrash  is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: IA
Posts: 679  -  iTrader: (2)
Reviews: 1

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Everyone says the TRS "sucks" but you're forgetting something. If it has V7/V8 pickups, then it's probably a Japanese 470. That means it's a Japanese TRS, which is completely different than the Korean TRS and Lo-TRS that everyone complains about. The Japanese TRS style bridges are basically a good OFR copy, and the ones I've seen have been on par with the Gotoh and the OFR. I know it's a different trem, and I'd rather have the Gotoh, OFR, or any Edge variation, but it's still a completely usable trem. Locking studs would be a nice improvement, but not necessary.

I thought a TRS was a TRS wether made in Korea or Japan? The PGM 30 is Japanese and had a TRS and I've heard the trem was not good on it.
quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2005, 01:27 AM
frankfalbo  is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: California
Posts: 1,893  -  iTrader: (24)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


Well, there's "this trem sucks" and then there's "this trem doesn't feel or sound like an Edge". The PGM 30 pictured in the 1995, 96, and 97 USA catalog is Korean (probably the same pic in all three) and the one pictured in the 2000 catalog is Japanese. So both are out there. There are guys here on this forum that would know which model years were Korean and which were Japanese. I'm not that up on the PGM's. But I would assume that if people had legitimate complaints, like soft knife edges, stripping saddle screws and baseplate screws, and slipping strings in the saddles, they'd be referring to experiences with Korean PGM 30s. So no, not all TRS' are the same. But even Japanese ones could get complaints about the studs, but we complain about the Edge studs, too! So that doesn't matter to me. They can be replaced with good locking studs. If the complaint is that it "sucks" when compared to the Edge, then there could just be an Edge bias, where someone is used to the Edge feel and sound. The Japanese TRS feels and sounds totally different. It's more like the OFR.
quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2005, 09:19 AM
wardner  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: RG550 vs RG470


OK, taking everything on board (thanks,) and considering this would only be used as a spare, I think I could live with the minor differences. Now, somewhat of a dilema, I've also been offered a new RG470 for 330 (i guess about $585.) Considering the used one would cost me 260 ($460ish) 330 doesn't sound too expensive. What do you think?

It comes with the V7, S1 and V8 pickups. Are these comparable to the V2, S1 and V1 in my RG550? All I really worry about in pickups is whether or not they feedback when everything's cranked live!

Sorry to be a pain

J
quote
Reply

Tags
arm holder , edge bridge , edge trem , equipped guitar , fingerboard radius , floyd rose , locking stud , locking studs , locking tremolo , neck dimensions , pro edge , pro edge bridge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , trem arm , trem arm holder , trs trems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ibanez RG550 neck into RG470 body? buldot Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 11 10-13-2012 10:56 PM
RG! RG550 and MIJ RG470 frankenstein. No pickups. Levi79 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 10-03-2011 02:04 AM
What ARE these parts? RG550? RG470? cy_berg Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 17 05-26-2008 03:19 PM
Parts FS #2: Bodies - RG550, RG470 MIJ, 540P, S540 gpenguins Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 6 02-01-2008 05:15 PM
Is this an RG470 or RG550? powerian Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 11 02-05-2004 09:24 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by