Ibanez JEM Forum banner
28K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Grev 
#1 ·
First off I would like to comend everyone associated with this website. From what I've seen the members provide reasonable, respectful answers to questions asked on the forum. This is great compared to some forums I've seen on the web where people fight rather than discuss.

Anyways, I have a RG 350DX and love it. I know the trem is lacking, but it is my first Ibanez and have loved it since the day I got it.
Recently I have been looking for a used RG550 or 570. I was just wondering what models years I should keep an eye open for, and reasonable prices to pay. Also has the change in model name (i think it's called the RG1550 now?) affected the guitar line?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi, and Welcome..

I´m a newcomer too, but i agree with yuo that this forum seems to have very friendly people that tend to helps eachothers..

I´m looking for a Rg550 right now ..

AfaIk, The main diferences between a Rg550 And Rg570 is the use of the scratchplate and the Maple fretboard in the first one..The rest is the same,..both are Basswood,same pups, same Wizard profile neck, same trem, etc..

Although it seems that there are some RG550 with Rosewood fretboard.

Rg1550 and Rg1570 are the new ones with the prestige Neck..I don´t know wath this really mean, but i think it have somethin to do with Quality of the wood, becuase is stiil the same Wizarz profile neck.. Someone know anything diferent? Wood are the same Basswood.

plus the Have the new Edge pro Trem..which i´d never seen or tested.. i have a Jem BSB and the low pro is the greatest one i ever used..i also have a OFR and Spider Khaler and i like the low pro better..

I heard that the early 90´s are the best RG´s but i don´t know is this is real or not..

hope this helps you

#3 ·
As far as price goes...

I would say around $300 - $400 is a reasonable price to pay for either the RG550 or RG570 with a hard case.

I bought a used RG570 ('96) without a case from the local music store here for about 270 Euro.

I also bought a used RG550 ('98 ) with a case from ebay for $275 + $100 shipping to the Netherlands which equals out to 300 Euro.

I have seen them go as high as $500 for a used RG550, but there always be another one for a lot cheaper than that.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I've noticed the average going price on e-bay has been around the $275-500.
Another question, is there a significant difference in quality/sound/playability between the new Ibanez series and the older more "classic" 550's. I've seen the new RG1570 for $559 at SamAsh (although I hate dealing with Sam Ash, but that's another story).

#7 ·
My opinion is that the sound and quality are equal. The big difference is the playability and that really depends on how "broken in" the guitar is. I have a 1990 RG570 that has been around the block a few times and it plays like butter! An unplayed "old" guitar will probably play just like a brand new one. The only other difference to look for is the old neck heel vs. the new AANJ (you can do a search here for the pros/cons).

#8 ·
Vladdrac said:
AfaIk, The main diferences between a Rg550 And Rg570 is the use of the scratchplate and the Maple fretboard in the first one..The rest is the same,..both are Basswood,same pups, same Wizard profile neck, same trem, etc..

Yeah, the old ones had rosewood fretboard. I used to own one:
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/kaavio/RG550esittely.html

#9 ·
Heka said:
Vladdrac said:

Yeah, the old ones had rosewood fretboard. I used to own one:
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/kaavio/RG550esittely.html
Hi..That´s something I was looking for..That Rg550 have originals V2 pups?
It says that the pups are Dimazio/ibz..are the same?

thanks..

#17 ·
kennydoe said:
nobody's mentioned this yet...

and i know it's only aesthetics, but the 570 does NOT have a matching headstock. The 570's is black no matter what color the body is. The 550 matches.

I never understood this, just wanted to point it out.

~K
Hmm. Old 570s match. I have a '91 with matching headstock. (What I don't understand is why my 3120 headstock is black... geez.)

#18 ·
Ferrous Lepidoptera said:
kennydoe said:
nobody's mentioned this yet...

and i know it's only aesthetics, but the 570 does NOT have a matching headstock. The 570's is black no matter what color the body is. The 550 matches.

I never understood this, just wanted to point it out.

~K
Hmm. Old 570s match. I have a '91 with matching headstock. (What I don't understand is why my 3120 headstock is black... geez.)
****e...could i be thinking of the rg470?
Maybe I am. :roll:
~K

#26 ·
kennydoe said:
****e...could i be thinking of the rg470?
Maybe I am. :roll:
~K
I think Ibanez just quit making matching headstocks for the 570 sometime in the 90s, Might've been about the same time they started putting the silvery-chromey looking "Ibanez" over the swooshy thing. On my 570, the "Ibanez" and the swooshy thing are both the same color, a kind of silvery-gray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.