Ibanez JEM Forum banner
13K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  guitardevil2005 
#1 ·
I can buy a rgt42 with a red flame top for $350 NEW WITH CASE
I own all roadstars(RS 140's) and dont really know about RG's?
is the RGT a real good RG? i know it is a neck thru but what body wood is used?
and is the lo pro II a real good trem?
http://www.theibanezstore.com/oscommerce/images/RGT42FMDR.jpg

#2 ·
The RGT42 is a great guitar, but the flamed maple top isn't enough to make a difference in the wood-tone of the guitar. It's made of basswood with a 3-piece maple neck, but it gets a pretty good sound. And the Edge Pro II trem isn't the best trem in the world, but it's good if you have something like a tremsetter or locking studs from Rich. I have the RGT42, but just without the flamed maple. It's a great guitar to play on.

#4 ·
yeah they are nice guitars. The lo pro 2 to me is way better then the lo trs they did put on them.

i dont know what type of necks the roadstars have on them but the wizard 2 is thicker and a bit more chuncky then the original wizards .

i got a rgt 42 off the trading forum and it should be here monday or tuesday i'll be sure to post back with all the details and stuff.

new for 350 with case is an excellent deal, i have seen the ones without a flame top go for 389 new without a case .

#5 ·
if it's the model with the transparent red flame maple top (RGT42FMDR, as pictured), then the body wood will actually be mahogany, and it should be fitted with the edge pro II bridge and INF1 and INF2 pickups. the earlier slightly cheaper variants had opaque finishes, basswood bodies and lo-trs II bridges. neck construction is the same on both: 5 piece maple/walnut.

is it a good guitar? i love mine, but i do notice it's increased body weight compared to my 4 other rg/jem. edge pro II is a decent bridge, with the exception of a noticeably stiffer feel and a slightly inferior arm holder.

and, yes, i think you're getting a great deal. i paid around $1500AUD for a new one in 2003!

#6 ·
damo7v said:
if it's the model with the transparent red flame maple top (RGT42FMDR, as pictured), then the body wood will actually be mahogany, and it should be fitted with the edge pro II bridge and INF1 and INF2 pickups. the earlier slightly cheaper variants had opaque finishes, basswood bodies and lo-trs II bridges. neck construction is the same on both: 5 piece maple/walnut.

is it a good guitar? i love mine, but i do notice it's increased body weight compared to my 4 other rg/jem. edge pro II is a decent bridge, with the exception of a noticeably stiffer feel and a slightly inferior arm holder.

and, yes, i think you're getting a great deal. i paid around $1500AUD for a new one in 2003!
hey thanks man for this info!
so it is definitely a mahogany body right?
it should sound better than the basswood ones then?
i would swap the pups in it for duncans or dimarzio's?

#7 ·
assuming the one you're looking at is the RGT42FMDR, then yes, it has a mahogany body.

as for it sounding better than basswood, well, that's very subjective. most RG's are basswood and they sound good enough to have most of us hooked! it'll just sound different, is all.

it could definitely benefit from a pickup swap. the factory INF pickups are an improvement over the Powersounds, though.

#8 ·
damo7v said:
assuming the one you're looking at is the RGT42FMDR, then yes, it has a mahogany body.

as for it sounding better than basswood, well, that's very subjective. most RG's are basswood and they sound good enough to have most of us hooked! it'll just sound different, is all.

it could definitely benefit from a pickup swap. the factory INF pickups are an improvement over the Powersounds, though.
i thought basswood sounded real good but the mahogany seems to be fuller and have more sustain which i think maybe would benefit a RG?

#12 ·
jra2217 said:
i got my rgt42 today and really like it. It is an older model with a lo trs 2 bridge which is really the only bad thing about the guitar. The neck plays well, and i think it is very fast myself. These are excellent guitars.
jra, with yours i hear you can put a OFR without any mods?
i had head the original floyd will retrofit the trs no prob where as the one o amg getting with the Edge Pro II trem has a tighter route and a OFR wont drop right in without moding the route?

#15 ·
Roadstar said:
jra, with yours i hear you can put a OFR without any mods?
i had head the original floyd will retrofit the trs no prob where as the one o amg getting with the Edge Pro II trem has a tighter route and a OFR wont drop right in without moding the route?
We talked about this yesterday, but essentially it should not require routing, whereas the other tremolo systems would. im not sure if i was clear about that, but the original floyd rose is a direct drop in

#16 ·
I would have loved one of these models if they made a fixed bridge one without shark tooth inlays. And in a color other then black.

I've seen and played a number of RGT42's, I always thought the top was a really thin vaneer(sp?), but I could be wrong. I don't remember there being body binding...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.