RS530 questions - Jemsite
Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

RS530 questions

My son's friend brought me a quilted top RS530 (Roadstar II) to fix up for him tonight. It's very nice. It has two Ultrasonic Active Pickups (Made in Germany), three push-pull pots and 3 way toggle. The bridge is out of it. Will a OFR fit in it's place? Any idea on the year of this guitar? It's MIJ with serial #A851736 on the neck plate. I tried taking a pic with my camera phone but it came out very bad (http://home.comcast.net/~phantoms/Image001.jpg), my daughter currently has my digital camera and is out of town . Any more info on this guitar would be appreciated.

Edit: Finally got my camera back and added some pictures a few replies down

Last edited by phantoms; 10-29-2006 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Added pictures a few posts down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: RS530 questions

After looking at Rich's site I made a mistake in that it's a Flamed Maple top, not a quilt one as posted. However, can't find much other info on it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM

That takes an old Pro Rocker bridge, although I think some RS530s did come with Edge trems, too. OFRs won't directly fit in there, the rout is all wrong. I've seen mods done to make an Edge fit, but it's a lot of work. You can sometimes find the Pro Rockers on evilbay or you could possibly put up a "WTB" ad here, too.

Bridge notwithstanding, those are cool guitars, defintiely worth the work the restore IMO. Plus, you have a nice set of pickups already in there.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Don't think it'll need much restoring as it's already in pretty good shape. I'll post some pics whenever I get my camera back. He wants a Floyd Rose, but I don't want to route and ruin the beautiful finish. Will any Floyd Rose or Licensed Floyd Rose fit?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 PM

measure it and compare it to the diagrams on the floyrose website.
but the point of the OFR original is it will pretty much fit any route because its the smallest trem out there. if you have to take out any wood, it would only be from inside the cavity and not the top of the guitar.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Any type of Floyd tremolo will require MAJOR surgery, assuming the guitar had a Pro Rocker variant trem on it originally. The posts are too far apart, the trem route is much larger, but still not routed enough in some areas. The posts are the biggest detractor. Once pulled, the new FR style tremolo won't even completely cover the old holes. Any cracking in the finish while pulling the posts and you are ruined. It will show for the whole world to see.

I've done ONE in my lifetime, and I'm happy with the way it came out, but wound't do another. It's too much like brain surgery getting those posts out. Then, I recessed the trem, so you're routing across the very edge of a filled hole, into body wood. If it has a Rocker style trem stick with it, and lube the fulcrum points. If you need a trem I've got a gold one from the conversion I did.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

OK, got some pics of it tonight. They still don't show how beautiful and detail the maple top is. The headstock paint is a little rough though.

Ummm yeah, I guess you can call that a case. Let's open it up and see what's inside....

Last edited by phantoms; 05-01-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: update pic urls
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

More pics....

I assume from the serial (#A851736) that it's a 85 model, am I correct? All electronics appear to work, I can install a 9volt and tap the appropiate pickup with a screwdriver and everything works. All three pots are push-pull and there's a 3 way toggle.

Oh yeah, this kid paid $10 for it. A good investment I'd say.

Last edited by phantoms; 05-01-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: updated pics urls
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Wow, those frets are rusty
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Just got this back from my son's friend for nothing. I put it together for my son for christmas. His friend hadn't done anything with it for the last 3-4 years.

Anyway, put a Kahler on it. Very easy to setup and tune. Had to route back just a bit to clear the back of the Kahler block and get the intonation right. Nothing compared to what I would of had to do to put a Floyd in it. And the old spring claw cavity now houses the battery for the active pickups.

Yes, still the old frets (that'll come later).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM

Reviews: 2

Congrats Phantoms!!!! That is just WAY too cool!!!! brings back a lot of memories.......
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Another pic from christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matt_roadstarRS530.jpg (92.1 KB, 14 views)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Hey phantoms do you know what exact kahler model that is and if you used any risers. I just brought in my rs530 to the shop and parts of the trem have now broken , I need to just install a kahler to solve the problems.

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , flamed maple , floyd rose , floyd trem , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode