Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Should I buy Premium Or Prestige?

9K views 71 replies 29 participants last post by  Sledgeman 
#1 ·
Hey.

I'm gonna buy a new guitar soon, and won't be able to try them out, ordering them online.

It's either Ibanez Rg1570 or the Rg870QMZ.

If I buy the premium Rg870QMZ I will be able to aford dimarzio pickups.
I'm just not sure if the trem will stay in tune.
Dunno if it's great or anything. Got cooler finish that the other guitar.

If I buy the Rg1570 i won't be able to aford dimarzio pickups for it.
But the trem is ofc alot better on this guitar. boring black finish aswell, but still great guitar.

Which one should I buy ?
Don't tell me that I should buy the one I feel like or anything, just need yours opinions.
thanks.

#15 ·
I'd go with the Prestige 1570, better quality overall and a much more comfortable and playable neck.

Peace

Mike
I'm totally not razzing you, but I'd really like to know why you think the 1570 is of better quality??? I've played many 15xx's and always come away disappointed with the bridge, neck and fretwork. Damien's 1527 was the same. A really nice guitar, but disappointing in some key areas. I have NOT played a Premium yet, so I have nothing to compare to. (Maybe if I quit buying old beaters, I'd have some $$ to buy a new one....LOL)

Ryc

#11 ·
The EZ2 with locking studs does stay in tune better than an EP without, and it also stays in tune on pullup return better than the previous EZ/ZPS as used on all JC/Prestige because they've pretty much sorted out the flat return from pull up. So, he is correct.

#14 ·
Follow along.

It was a ZPS issue, they all get the same ZPS, now better than it was. The EZ2 stays in tune every bit as good as the EZ1, they have the exact same knife edges and studs.

They are not all good though, I still run across ZPS that return flat from pullup, but many that return perfect.

#20 ·
I've always thought the concept behind Premium was "Indonesian J-Custom". They're designed similar in every respect I've seen. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear they're similar necks.

That said however, the premium neck I played was ****ing AWESOME. I normally find wizards to be WAY, WAY too thin. This felt nice and full without being all that much larger, which was weird to me.

#23 ·
I've always thought the concept behind Premium was "Indonesian J-Custom". They're designed similar in every respect I've seen.
GB, this rant isn't directed at you, but I'm seeing this over and over in a lot of these Premium threads and it's driving me crazy.

I'm about worn out with the whole Premium vs JC business (and to some extent the Prestiges). I see people basically saying, "Hey, my Kia is just like your Aston Martin. They both have 4 wheels, leather seats, and a steering wheel, and they're both shiny, so see? They're the same." And they're not.

A Premium is NOT a J-Custom. It's not in the same league. It's a NICE economical guitar, and you get a lot for your money. I'll give you that. But it's NOT a hand-crafted Japanese guitar built from the best select materials by the best luthiers Ibanez has. Period. If it was all of those things, it wouldn't sell for nine-hundred-freakin-dollars. I'm happy that the Premium enthusiasts in here have instruments that they can be proud of. But some of you need to come back down to earth. You don't get something for nothing. And you don't get a $3000 guitar for $900.

#33 ·
Wow. You really are sensitive. Sorry I struck such a nerve. If I'd know you were that fragile I'd have kept my opinions to myself. And thanks for the internet forum psychoanalysis. I usually only get that kind of introspection from the homeless guy with the colostomy bag who panhandles in front of my local Starbucks.

"If you have a problem with the Premiums, then you have a problem with yourself....." You should send that to Ibanez. Maybe they'll put it in the catalogs. That's priceless.

From now on, I promise to only say glowing, wonderful, rainbow-filled things about Premiums so as to avoid further conflict and bruised feelings. I may even start a pro-GIO thread so everybody else can feel warm and fuzzy too.

#34 ·
Wow. You really are sensitive. Sorry I struck such a nerve. If I'd know you were that fragile I'd have kept my opinions to myself. And thanks for the internet forum psychoanalysis. I usually only get that kind of introspection from the homeless guy with the colostomy bag who panhandles in front of my local Starbucks.

"If you have a problem with the Premiums, then you have a problem with yourself....." You should send that to Ibanez. Maybe they'll put it in the catalogs. That's priceless.

From now on, I promise to only say glowing, wonderful, rainbow-filled things about Premiums so as to avoid further conflict and bruised feelings. I may even start a pro-GIO thread so everybody else can feel warm and fuzzy too.
Bahhahahahaha, I'm done man. No sense in arguing with someone who acts like a high school girl that just got denied going to the prom...

#42 ·
I will attempt to get things back on track.

It seems with the leaks we've seen that Ibanez is definitely pushing the Premiums big time. I liked the RG920 but honestly I'm not into HH guitars so much with quilts. Nice to see some solid colors via the 25th RG's and Sabers. It would be nice to see if we get more solid colored guitars, perhaps with stock pickups like the RG870. If the 870 is comparable to the 1570 to some degree then it would be nice to have a quality workhorse HSH RG back at $750. I'm kind of interested in the 870 but so far it's only available in the US in boring, BORING, black!
They should try an RG870 in ROM, CA, or even maybe in some throwback colors like FA, Carotene Orange, or (dare I say) PN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.