<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM

So the original owner of my S540 contacted me...

This is a strange story and I need a little advice. Wondering if this is possibly a scam and I'll follow through by asking him a few questions that only he would know if he knew the guitar.

Anyway...I bought the S540, the green one (pic below) off of a pawn shop via Ebay. I had asked the history of the guitar and how he came across it and he replied that someone had brought it in to pawn and then disappeared and hadn't made any payments in some time. So it was up for sale. The buy it now was what I consider to be fair market on a guitar in this condition. The starting price was low and I ended up with a good deal. The guitar needed serious cleaning and sticker removal and from the photos I knew I had a jewel or a dud, nothing in between. So I gambled.

Well, it's a jewel. I cleaned her up, polished the frets, took everything off and went over the guitar and all it's components head to toe. Redid the trem, added a brass big block, noiseless springs, brass screws and took care of one stripped hole for the trem screw. I added CTS pots and a stock F2 pickup, put on better knobs (less wear than the originals) and had it set up by a pro who did additional fret work and shimmed the low e string. So I've put a bunch of time and money into this guitar. I like it. Green's not my favorite but I was really looking for an early AANJ in good shape. I have other years, (just got an 88 today!) so it wouldn't be a huge loss.

I'm very much inclined to sell it back to him if he's legitimate.

But the question for me is, do I sell it back for what I paid plus my expenses? Or do I include a good estimate of the time and effort I put into it? He offered to buy me a new guitar which I absolutely won't do as it just seems wrong. I'm not here to take advantage of anyone but at the same time, there's opportunity and time loss.

Has anyone come across something like this where it turned out to be a scam?

What do you guys think? Wasn't sure where to put this...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 15

Re: So the original owner of my S540 contacted me...

Since he couldn't make the payments to the pawn shop, what makes you think he can afford to pay out a lump sum for the guitar? As my mom always said, "If you snooze, you lose". There's no reason to sell it back to him since you bought it fair and square. If you do decide to sell it, up the price to reflect the labor and parts you put into it in addition to shipping.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 2

Can't really see the reason for you to sell it back to him, i mean he cot money for it when he put it in the pawnshop and he would know the deal that if he dosen't pay or pick it up in some time, the pawn will sell it. You bought it totaly fair. So why should you sell it if you like the guitar?. And also if you would sell it,the price should reflect what you put into it.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't think you have any need to sell it back to them. And if you did, it should be for what you've invested in it. It's yours now.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
Since he couldn't make the payments to the pawn shop, what makes you think he can afford to pay out a lump sum for the guitar? As my mom always said, "If you snooze, you lose". There's no reason to sell it back to him since you bought it fair and square. If you do decide to sell it, up the price to reflect the labor and parts you put into it in addition to shipping.
He can't buy it back right now. It'll actually be up to 30 days as he scrounges the money together. I've already told him I will not sell it back for what I paid. It'll be that cost plus what I put into it including time. Looking on ebay right now, guitars in good condition are all listed at $699 and above.

Makes me feel like someone snuck in and took a big sh*t on the guitar while I wasn't looking. It's kharma has been compromised!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards inflating the price just to the brink of being unreasonable. Then you'll find out how bad he wants it back and possibly put more coin in your pocket for something better.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM

That did cross my mind but I'm a big believer in karma and a bit just came my way so why not pay it forward a bit. I'm not here to gouge anyone and he's obviously very attached to the guitar.

I'm sure I'll find out it was a one-off for some big artist or something. Kidding but you never know. I should probably scrape off a bit of paint somewhere and make sure it's not made out of gold
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
That did cross my mind but I'm a big believer in karma and a bit just came my way so why not pay it forward a bit. I'm not here to gouge anyone and he's obviously very attached to the guitar.

I'm sure I'll find out it was a one-off for some big artist or something. Kidding but you never know. I should probably scrape off a bit of paint somewhere and make sure it's not made out of gold

Hehe i was thinking about Karma when i read the message you responded to now. Karma is acctually a real thing...could take years but eventually it will come back to bite everyone..
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Yeah I've made up my mind to offer it back to him for a fair price considering the time and effort I've put into it. He has 30 days otherwise the offer is rescinded. I just need to find a way to get rid of the bad mojo on this. I can feel it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah I've made up my mind to offer it back to him for a fair price considering the time and effort I've put into it. He has 30 days otherwise the offer is rescinded. I just need to find a way to get rid of the bad mojo on this. I can feel it.
Aha so you feel some badmojo in the guitar itself? I ment more as to what cilverctr said about trying to infalte the price even more then reasonable.
But the bottom line is: If you want it,it's yours,not his. and if you don't wanna sell it you don't have to. Shouldn't be any bad karma at that point.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Just burn some sage and it'll be as good as new.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM

I think that if you asked the original owner for $699, you're going to be owning this thing for a long time

Check what these actually sell for, not what they're listed for. They typically go for around $350.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM

I have yet to see one in decent condition going for $350 unless you get real lucky. I was finding real crap for $400.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 AM

Never have i seen a good one for 350 and never LTD's,5-600 is the norm and worth every penny.

If this guy is serious he will be happy to have his prized baby back for the price its worth in its current cleaned up condition,if not...it remains your baby.

I will say,if this were my original sabre thats been with me since new that was lost you would be receiving 600+
200 for your time and re uniting me with my baby.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM

sold is sols. i have acquired many guitars through the years and have met some of the original owners and likewise on guitars i have lost.
it's all a part of the retail game. he knew the risk going in on the pawn. now i try to keep that feeling to a minimum because at the end of the day with deals as such is about possession. at the present: it's yours. what you decide to do with it is up to you.

rich

Show/Hide Posting Rules