<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 PM

To those of you who dislike the 400mm fretboard radius vs the 430mm fretboard radius.

This is the difference you claim to be feeling:

The image's resolution is 580x230. Each invididual pixel respresents exactly 0.1mm.

As you can see, the two radii differ by less than 0.1mm even at the very edges of the fretboard.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 21

Re: To those of you who dislike the 400mm fretboard radius vs the 430mm fretboard rad

The high E string on a set of 9's is .228 mm and on 10's its 0.25mm. I can feel the difference between both. I actually dig the 400mm radius. The only time it feels boxy or rough on the hands is when there's neck binding, as is common on most lower end Ibanez's. The Wizard II (now III) without binding and with a maple board is sweeeeeeeet!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Re: To those of you who dislike the 400mm fretboard radius vs the 430mm fretboard rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
The high E string on a set of 9's is .228 mm and on 10's its 0.25mm. I can feel the difference between both. I actually dig the 400mm radius. The only time it feels boxy or rough on the hands is when there's neck binding, as is common on most lower end Ibanez's. The Wizard II (now III) without binding and with a maple board is sweeeeeeeet!
...I don't think you could possibly have picked a less appropriate point of comparison. Its possible to tell the difference between strings guages because they bend and flex and move, and the material strength increases by a huge amount with increases of diameter at a small size, meaning the stiffness of the string increases massively despite only small physical changes. But thats not the same thing as being able to feel the difference in the size of those strings. Thats being able to tell the difference in the mechanical properties that result from the increase in diameter. When you're dealing with a rigid object like a fretboard, that method of measurement is invalid.

However if you were handed two objects that were 0.1mm different in size, infinitely stiff, and infinitely strong, and, for sake of argument, the same weight, I don't believe you, nor anyone else, could tell the two apart reliably without performing some sort of secondary measurement. Even more so if the objects weren't a regular, simple shape like a cuboid.

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 05-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM

I work in construction so I dig what you're saying. To be fair, small changes over a big area can have an effect. To say there is no difference at all is incorrect as well. Really, I think you make a good point, but I think the reason people complain is because the difference in radius is compounded, feel-wise, with the difference in neck thickness; which is omitted in your original post. All factors have to be considered.
LOL! "Compounded". Sorry about the unintended pun.

Last edited by mike570; 05-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I work in construction so I dig what you're saying. To be fair, small changes over a big area can have an effect. To say there is no difference at all is incorrect as well. Really, I think you make a good point, but I think the reason people complain is because the difference in radius is compounded, feel-wise, with the difference in neck thickness; which is omitted in your original post. All factors have to be considered.
LOL! "Compounded". Sorry about the unintended pun.
The thing is, the radius ISN'T coumponded by anything. The radius is a non-issue. Its simply too small a difference to have any effect anyone would notice in normal playing. The neck shape being different or the build being different or the resonance of the guitar or any other "feel" factor, all of those are seperate elements.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM

If I recall correctly the Wizard Prestige and Wizard Premium are exactly the same except for radius... and I believe I can tell the difference.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly the Wizard Prestige and Wizard Premium are exactly the same except for radius... and I believe I can tell the difference.
I highly doubt anyone has taken a contour guage to them both to confirm that. Thickness is only one line. Its not the curve of the back of the neck.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM

I notice, yes it's small, but it's just a feel thing, especially when bending.

The resolution of your image isn't detailed enough to make a credible comparison.

I'm sure many can't feel the difference, but there are many that say they can.

I feel a difference in the Premium and the Prestige.

All of the specs on my RG1550 neck and the Premium neck match; except the radius.

Yet every Premium I've played, compared to every Prestige with the similar neck I've played, the Premium feels just ever so slightly 'chunkier'.

This has to be the fretboard since everything else should be close to, if not exactly, the same.

Is it psychological? Maybe, but even if it is... it's there.

It's like people that get flu symptoms after getting a flu shot... it's usually in their heads, they don't have the flu, but you still have a runny nose and cough, so it's still the same result (just without the actual infection)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM

The resolution of my image in photoshop was actually 10pixels to the millimeter. To make it more detailed I would have had to create a 300MB photoshop file.

Also, no. Again, the difference you're feeling is the BACK of the neck and is the PROFILE of the carve. That isn't a "spec" thats listed on some spreadsheet somewhere. I could make a neck with all the specs of the wizard as they are on the Ibanez website AND this website, and have it be perfectly rectangular. It was a common complaint of the Wizard II used on the korean S series, that it was chunkier than the Wizard 2 used on RGs.

That wasn't the radius, it was the shoulders on the back of the neck being larger. there was more wood there. It had nothing to do with the radius.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The resolution of my image in photoshop was actually 10pixels to the millimeter. To make it more detailed I would have had to create a 300MB photoshop file.

Also, no. Again, the difference you're feeling is the BACK of the neck and is the PROFILE of the carve. That isn't a "spec" thats listed on some spreadsheet somewhere. I could make a neck with all the specs of the wizard as they are on the Ibanez website AND this website, and have it be perfectly rectangular. It was a common complaint of the Wizard II used on the korean S series, that it was chunkier than the Wizard 2 used on RGs.

That wasn't the radius, it was the shoulders on the back of the neck being larger. there was more wood there. It had nothing to do with the radius.
I have very small hands, so I'm very aware of the shape of the back of the neck since it effects the way I play enormously.

By 'chunkier' I mean back to fretboard, not how it sits in my palm. When I'm playing Blues and hooking my thumb over the top of the neck to grab the E string with my thumb, I REALLY notice when a necks shoulders are larger, smaller, rounder, etc. and I don't feel that on a Premium. Feels a lot like my RG1550.

What I feel is when I'm playing barre chords, mainly. With a very flat fretboard, since I have weak hands, I have to press fairly hard to get all the notes to ring out, not as much on a more curved board and when I'm playing a Premium, it just feels a bit easier. (thus: chunkier since I usually can play barre chords much easier on a thicker neck with a rounder fretboard, but because of my small hands, that hinders other aspects of my playing, so I have to trade that for other things)

The Premium neck is just as thick (or thin, depending on your point of view) from the fretboard to the back of the neck, regardless of the profile, but, to my hands, feels easier to play barre chords and I can only attribute that to the ever so slightly more curved fretboard.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM

Just to be clear: When I'm playing barre chords I place my thumb on the center of the back of the neck, classical style, so even if the neck were round as a baseball bat, I'd barely notice the difference between that and a V shaped neck.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 AM

I love my 430mm Wizard neck.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Yeah, I'll agree. I notice it the most when I throw my thumb over the top too. That's probably the only way I'd know the difference I think.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 AM

Yeah..after reading all of this I got the confused.. so what is the difference then between 400 and 430 radius...

To be more specific -
1. does greater radius means wider neck? Because increasing the radius is almost like increasing the diameter of a circle - It should cover greater area where "r" increases...
2. If the respected necks have the same thickness at 1st and 12th fret - the one with less radius should feel more round?

I'm asking this because for example - on js's , I'll just use js1000 or even low end js 100 , the radius is 250rm but its thick 20mm -1st. 22mm-12th - noticeable thicker then superwizzard hp 17-19mm. The neck feels more round on the JS . How come that increasing the thickness doesn't effect the radius size?

I think I kinda self explained here - The Greater the Radius and Thinner the neck - the more wide and thinner it gets? Less round feeling .....
Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 AM

sorry for my english btw

Show/Hide Posting Rules