<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums)

Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) Discussion about other Ibanez 6-string Guitars (including Premiums) not covered in the above topics.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 AM

Re: What the heck is this thing?(Ibanez experts needed)

1990ish Carvin DC with contour sanded horns and Ibanez stickers all over it. Could be a nice guitar if it's neck through.

Last edited by axel_f; 02-06-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Aha so it could be older real Ibanez pickups then. Well the body might be an old Jakckson Dinky, some of the older got the selector almost parallel to the strings. But i can't be sure about model. Usually there is Chravel or Jackson written on the neck plate, and also on some of the old Ibbys.

Last edited by maqify; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM

If we were talking about copying an expensive used JS or Jem, then I could look at the parts and say "fake".

But being that it's not trying to copy something expensive in the Ibanez realm, it's such a waste of time and effort to make a fake. It's akin to counterfeiting a $1 dollar bill.

I say it's real and just a model that didn't take off.

Those aren't the most common inlays for an Ibanez and the headstock shape is also not something I have seen before. Let's say this is a Kramer from the same time period. Then why take what is at most a $250 dollar guitar and make in into essentially a $250 dollar used Ibanez? I can see somebody taking an RG that's worth $200 and cutting out a handle in it, refinishing it, and trying to pass it off as a Jem and maybe recoup the cost of faking it plus a few hundred dollars. That would make sense for the time and effort of a counterfeiter. But why make an inexpensive guitar into one of equal value where the work alone to change brands is worth more than the finished product?

If it is a fake, then it could be a dry run to get used to counterfeiting before doing a real looking Jem or JS guitar.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Found something similar, http://www.belongingsbroker.com/prod...lectric-guitar

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Yeah the headstock and body carvings got similarities. Could be the same brand. Would be interesting if OP could say something about neckplate and or serial.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM

That Series 10 by Bently that Axel_F posted is a very good call.

I've also seen a company called Vester use a very similar style headstock as well. Lots of their models also came with Sharkfin inlays and those body bevels:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Ele.../td-p/10340842

http://www.myspace.com/vitriolicmeta...%3A17303971%7D
Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM

It looks like Vester could be it. It seems to be a pretty good guitar all around and comparable in its parts with similarly priced Ibanez.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...s.aspx?Page=8&

It seems to sound pretty good as Tim Lincecum here shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXAs5b06WI

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
That Series 10 by Bently that Axel_F posted is a very good call.

I've also seen a company called Vester use a very similar style headstock as well. Lots of their models also came with Sharkfin inlays and those body bevels:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Ele.../td-p/10340842

http://www.myspace.com/vitriolicmeta...%3A17303971%7D

Looks like that could be it. Looks very close. Nice find
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM

I have never seen any Ibanez with sharkfin inlays. I'm 99% sure it's not an original Ibanez. Leaving the last % for the chance of a very strange one-off built for an artist.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 AM

The RG450DX used to come with the sharkfin fretboard inlays if that's of any help.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1995/95014.jpg
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
The RG450DX used to come with the sharkfin fretboard inlays if that's of any help.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1995/95014.jpg
I stand corrected. Although that's not the neck from a RG450DX, unless they took the time to remove the inlay at the 24th fret. Vester is a very likely guess. And the Ibanez stickers are most likely added, for some strange reason.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Before I finished reading, I was going to shout out late 80's Korean/Japan off brand with Ibanez sticker on the headstock and possibly real Ibanez pickups. Several companies had necks with that heastock such as the Vester, Series 10 mentioned, as well as Hondo. There is nothing remotely Jackson or Ibanez about that guitar other than the sharkies, sticker, and maybe the pickups. OTOH it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good sounding, nice playing guitar. In looking at the pics posted by blazer the Vester seems the best bet.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Dang, I want that sunburst vester!

I saw so many headstocks like this when I was looking, series 10, rondo/agile, unknown Korean stuff, I kinda gave up trying to pin it. Originally, I thought someone got creative with a Carvin Bolt kit, but got to thinking I don't remember those with Floyd recesses, and if someone went to the trouble of adding one along with the body contours, inlays and what looks like a good paint job, why the heck would they put Ibanez stickers on it. Plus that style of Carvin headstock had slightly more style to it.

Interestingly, I kept running across this guy's threads about a very similar looking (what he calls) "fake Ibanez"... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...d.php?t=341699

I think if this head wasn't copied by many, it was made by the same factory, commissioned by different companies, and maybe this one got a refinish from a clueless person, copy cat or maybe the factory wanted to put out a fake.

Last edited by axel_f; 02-08-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
Dang, I want that sunburst vester!

I saw so many headstocks like this when I was looking, series 10, rondo/agile, unknown Korean stuff, I kinda gave up trying to pin it. Originally, I thought someone got creative with a Carvin Bolt kit, but got to thinking I don't remember those with Floyd recesses, and if someone went to the trouble of adding one along with the body contours, inlays and what looks like a good paint job, why the heck would they put Ibanez stickers on it. Plus that style of Carvin headstock had slightly more style to it.

Interestingly, I kept running across this guy's threads about a very similar looking (what he calls) "fake Ibanez"... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...d.php?t=341699

I think if this head wasn't copied by many, it was made by the same factory, commissioned by different companies, and maybe this one got a refinish from a clueless person, copy cat or maybe the factory wanted to put out a fake.
Many major guitar companies, both in US and Asia, have commissioned Samick or Cort to make their models. It's amazing how many competing guitars for the big 3 (Gibson, Fender, Ibanez) are made side by side. This explains the very high quality to price ratio of many guitars and why they all have loyal followings. Korea and then more recently China and their factories have really made a lot of cool stuff and it gets better each year.

Add to that Indonesia and probably India in the future. All those countries can build computers, laptops, and servers utilizing engineers with master's degrees and many highly skilled workers so it's no stretch that these days building an electric guitar anywhere on the globe with high quality is a no-brainer and far less sophisticated than consumer and professional electronics.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I stand corrected. Although that's not the neck from a RG450DX, unless they took the time to remove the inlay at the 24th fret. Vester is a very likely guess. And the Ibanez stickers are most likely added, for some strange reason.

Yes i agree that Vester is the most likely at this time.

Last edited by maqify; 03-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Tags
ibanez batwing

Show/Hide Posting Rules