Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Anybody know anything about 80's - 90's BC Rich?

Tags
neck thru
21K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Kontalonis 
#1 · (Edited)
I remember BC Rich guitars being pretty popular with some shredders back in the day, but I never really had anything to do with them. Some were USA built, and some were MIJ. Any thoughts on either? Good hardware? Pickups? Fit/finish? How does something like a BCR Gunslinger stack up against an RG?

Also, not that they'd compare to Jemsite, but are there any good BCR forums?

#3 ·
As far as B.C. Rich goes, you want to focus on the USA models and the NJ series (Japan) models. Later in the 90's they were pushing the platinum series, bronze series, acrylics and all that other crap. Some of those could make good projects, but they weren't great players out of the box.

Always remember, though, there are tons of diamonds in the rough. My lefty Warlock is a platinum series and it plays and sounds amazing. God bless Ed Roman on that one, haha

#4 ·
There is a BC Rich forum out there but don't expect it to be like JEMSITE!
As far as the quality of the guitars I can tell you what I know in my experience.
I have been playing them for like 12 years and I have always loved them, they are very well built and even though some use lisenced floyds they (MIJ, NJ, Korean models) they are fairly good and stay in tune. I currently own just a couple warlocks 2 made in Japan and 1 made in the USA. they are very sweet sounding and playing monsters; The MIJ are stock but the original pups sound great, the USA models featured either an OFR or a Kahlers, pups are usually EMG or Seymour Duncan. Iron birds and Gunslingers are awesome players too, they sound great, and have good playing necks. I don't own any of those at this time so I couldn't tell you to much more except that I find that the quality of BC Rich guitars from the 80'S and current is quite good, however, you would need to make that assessment yourself because they have so many different odd shape models like the afore mentioned Warlock and Iron bird plus the Beast, Virgin, Mocking bird, Virgo, Dagger etc.. So you would need to play them and decide which one suits your needs and your wallet best! :)

#10 ·
Old USA neck thru BC;'s are awesome.
+1

I play my friend's neck-thru firebird with reverse headstock all the time. I always mess with him and try to buy it but he won't sell it (sentimental value). The great thing about BC rich is they were kind of the innovators of 24 frets with hot rod pickups and great hardware. The older models are top notch in my book!

#8 ·
I've got an 89 Assassin and it kicks ass. USA made and plays like buttah. Stock H in bridge and S in neck (don't know brand or model) and it sounds better than my 81/85 combo in my 320DX. Well built, FR trem.

If you can find an older model somewhere check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Regarding the BC forums. I asked a few questions on there and got friendly and informative replies within a day. Some knowledgeable folks over there.

#9 ·
The mid 80's NJ's were made in Japan they came with Kahler Flyers. Fine playing cheap guitars! Not sure when they went with Licensed Floyd Roses on the 1988 models whether they were still made in Japan or if that was when things switched to Korea. I stupidly sold a NJ Bich 1984 around 1988/89. Then a few years later I noticed they now came with Floyd Roses, so I bought a Warlock. Crap EMG Selects (The older NJ's had OEM Dimarzios) and they were the Class Ax era of crappy Korean POS guitars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.