<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Re: anyone think les pauls are overrated?

Back on topic anyway.

Regarding Les pauls, you cant seperate being overated from being overpriced - the Price really dictates really if its overated or not...

If a Gibson Les Paul Standard was 999 brand new then id rate it highly, but at 1500 i just think its overated - youre paying for the name.

Personally i just think Les Pauls are overpriced, but its not all about 'worth' , its about what people are prepared to pay and obviously people are prepared to pay a premium for Les Pauls
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Saying a Gibson is over-rated is like saying a screwdriver is over-rated because it won't do what a blow torch will do. For what it's worth (two cents), my opinion is that a guitar is worth what YOU think it's worth. That's a free market, and a free country. Play as many guitars as you can and make your own decision. I personally have two Gibsons. A 1974 LP Deluxe that plays like butter and sounds amazing through any amp I've ever tried. (I picked it up in the 80's for $200! My personal best guitar buy by a long shot!) My only complaint is that it is heavy as hell, so I don't play it during rehearsals or gigs. Plus, I'd be afraid of it getting stolen. I also have a newer faded cherry flying V. What a great guitar. It's light, plays amazing, has a little thinner neck than the LP and also sounds great! But I also have a black 1995 Jem 555 that I love for the neck and pups.

I'm sure you'll all scoff at my main guitar though. I have a Line 6 Variax 600 with the maple neck. I love that guitar! I love the tone of that guitar. It just RINGS! And I love the neck and all the great sounds I can get out of it. Greatest gigging guitar ever! Plus, nobody will ever steal it! Haha!

Are Gibsons over-rated? Not in my opinion. I enjoy ALL of my guitars, for their differences and uniqueness. If you play metal, maybe a LP isn't the right guitar for you. But then again, Randy Rhoads didn't think so. A Gibson does what a Gibson does and don't expect it to do what a tele does or a Shecter, or anything else. It's a Gibson.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 AM

Well they have stood the test of time. It's not a specialized guitar like certain Ibanez guitars, which i suppose are more modern guitars. But they're a bit like a Volkswagen Beatle, reliable and solid. And if your n blues/rock kinda guy, it's for you.
If your a pro musician I suggest keep one around, for they are fat. A heavy peace of wood they are..Will get you through some big riff sections when needed.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Certainly, they're an iconic instrument, but for my application, they don't cut the mustard. The neck is quite a bit too thick for my liking, and I'm more of a 24 fret kinda guy. I also can't put into words how much I hate the location of the pickup selector switch. As a guy who switches mine often, I like the switch to be near the volume knob. So, overpriced? Yeah, maybe a bit, but I'm not sure if I'd go overrated. They don't jive with everybody, but to be fair, if they did, there would be no reason for different companies and different models.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 11

Have we gotten into the "Les Paul" design vs the "gibson les paul" debate yet? I've played some cheapo les pauls in my day, and not one of them sounded good, played well, or worth the wood they were made of.... gibson carved top thick feeling les pauls... those have hellaciously good tone and feel good. They are just too f-ing heavy! The sustain for days.

Im honestly suprised paul gilbert doesnt play one.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM

I just did a setup on a 70's LP custom for a guy and it was sweet. I made the mistake of A/B'ing it with my guitar (an HH partscaster). The Les Paul sounded so much better it's not even funny.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Reviews: 21

I cringe when I see this thread float back to the top.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
LOL so do i EVERY single time
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

I can say that growing up I always wanted a les paul, until I played one. My yearning for it was purely aesthetic, I came to realize. In the years since I've always tried to judge a guitar on the way it performs rather than solely on its appearance. Hope that helps some one.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Every time.... O.o
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM

I own a 1975 LP Standard and two American Strats, I never own an Ibanez. I know a lot of good guitarist use Ibanez but the international stars use exclusively LP and Strat.

I listen to a few using Ibanez, They all use heavy reverb and heavily processed sound. To me, they don't really have the characteristic. Yes, a lot of those guitarist are very good technically, but great guitarist is dine a dozen.....no offense since I am a guitarist also.

I agree Gibson is very fragile, you drop, you break!!!

I can tell you for one, if you get LP or American Strat, you can fetch 5 to 10 times what you paid 20 years later where I saw used Ibanez selling for cheap in Starving Musician store. This should be a factor in the equation also.

Can you guys buy Gibson Fade Series in UK, over here in US, the Fade series SG and LP are under $1000. I do have to admit I like the HSH configuration of Ibanez. I modified one of my Strat with HSH with Dimarzio Air Classic DP191 at the neck with spit coil, standard Strat middle and Dimarzio Tone Zone at the bridge and love it.

Last edited by Alan0354; 01-22-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I own a 1975 LP Standard and two American Strats, I never own an Ibanez. I know a lot of good guitarist use Ibanez but the international stars use exclusively LP and Strat.

I listen to a few using Ibanez, They all use heavy reverb and heavily processed sound. To me, they don't really have the characteristic. Yes, a lot of those guitarist are very good technically, but great guitarist is dine a dozen.....no offense since I am a guitarist also.

I agree Gibson is very fragile, you drop, you break!!!

I can tell you for one, if you get LP or American Strat, you can fetch 5 to 10 times what you paid 20 years later where I saw used Ibanez selling for cheap in Starving Musician store. This should be a factor in the equation also.
International stars exclusively use Lp or Strat? What???
What about the International ESP or Ibanez players?? Hetfeild/ Hammett, Laiho or Gilbert, Vai and Satriani just to name a few OBVIOUS ones!
And not every Ibanez palyer uses heavy reverb!! Thats like saying NO LP or strat players use reverb.
There are some very, very expensive Ibanez and ESP guitars. You probably only saw basic models.

I really like strats and LP's but I am not gonna say they are the only guitars international stars use!!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockme.au View Post
International stars exclusively use Lp or Strat? What???
What about the International ESP or Ibanez players?? Hetfeild/ Hammett, Laiho or Gilbert, Vai and Satriani just to name a few OBVIOUS ones!
And not every Ibanez palyer uses heavy reverb!! Thats like saying NO LP or strat players use reverb.
There are some very, very expensive Ibanez and ESP guitars. You probably only saw basic models.

I really like strats and LP's but I am not gonna say they are the only guitars international stars use!!
Most what you mentioned are at the corner of their field, I am talking about people like Clapton, Beck, Santana etc. Not saying they are better, but let's face it, it's the music writing that make the star, not how good they play. I am not knocking Ibanez, just an observation. Yes, I forgot George Benson, he use Ibanez, and he is an international star in my book.

I know, the insider always say people don't know how to appreciate good musician and they always go for those that is not as good yada yada. Been there done that. You always have people that you consider the best in the world but not that famous. As I get older and not really playing music that serious, I really open my eyes. People get famous for a reason, a lot of them write good music, music that people still humming 20 years later. Guitar is just an instrument and good guitarist is just a good technician. Look at how good is the guitarist Frank Gamballe of Chick Corea. I bought one of his album and sure sound like a mess, he don't know how to write music in my book. Look at Dave Grusim, He write good music but cannot really play piano that well, he just have to best musicians play in his band. So is Daniel Ho of Kilauea that wrote good music, he had to invite Pat Coil to fill in for a jam line. Yani.......but that is off the subject.

As for reverb, I went onto Dimarzio site and listen to alot of their tracks, a lot of them do use Ibanez but most of them using heavy reverb, I hate to say, they sound very alike, it all blur in, They have fast fingers, they can really play, it's just all sound alike!!! I do like heavy modern jazz and I listen to many different styles, so it is not the style I cannot accept, Not only that, I listen to piano and sex to broaden my horizon. Very few people have the character like Clapton that I can tell it's him playing even I don't recognize the song and his looks. Or Santana. It's the character and they are famous for a reason and stay famous for a long time. I guess I don't appreciate technicians anymore, I know it's offensive to say it, but took me a long road to realize this that it's the package that matter, technicians are a dime a dozen.

Sorry.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 18

'International Superstar' is a pretty general term, it can define anyone from slash to steve vai to justin bieber. The only difference in what people think is a great musician comes from what their definition of a great musician is. Most people on the ibanez forums are of course going to be big fans of ibanez players. I'm not that big of a fan of any of the people you mentioned there, but I do admit that they are famous for what they do. then there's a different kind of famous that only fits a certain audience, like Michael Angelo Batio. He's one hell of an amazing musician, famous in his genre, but if you ask someone who's a techno/rave music fan, they'll have no clue who the **** you're talking about. Then they'll proceed to ask you what's your favorite song by Darude, and you'll have the same confused look on your face as they just did with your question.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 4
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
'International Superstar' is a pretty general term, it can define anyone from slash to steve vai to justin bieber. The only difference in what people think is a great musician comes from what their definition of a great musician is. Most people on the ibanez forums are of course going to be big fans of ibanez players. I'm not that big of a fan of any of the people you mentioned there, but I do admit that they are famous for what they do. then there's a different kind of famous that only fits a certain audience, like Michael Angelo Batio. He's one hell of an amazing musician, famous in his genre, but if you ask someone who's a techno/rave music fan, they'll have no clue who the **** you're talking about. Then they'll proceed to ask you what's your favorite song by Darude, and you'll have the same confused look on your face as they just did with your question.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Thanks dude you saved me lots of time.I was going to type something like this.I agree 100% with everything you said .

Tags
expensive, gibson, les paul, losers, overrated

Show/Hide Posting Rules